X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Can it get more ridiculous?

I was in a local mall yesterday, chatting with my brother in law about the differences between LCD and plasma flat panel displays. We saw a "La Source" (Circuit City bought the entire Canadian Radio Shack franchise and re-named it "La Source/The Source"--depending where in Canada the store is) with a number of flat panels (Panasonic and Samsung had both kinds, the other brands I remember are Acer and Olevia and they were all LCD). My brother in law and I were singularly unimpressed. None of the displays was running an HD feed. One, a Panasonic plasma, was running an SD DVD via component (though it was some sort of advertising loop, not a movie, so the PQ was not great). The others were all on the menu loop for one of the Scooby-Doo movies (17 televisions from one source). I looked at each of them in the back and found they were ALL connected by RCA COMPOSITE :E !!! How do they expect anyone to buy a TV if they're displaying them like that? (not that I plan to buy one there, the choice is too limited, but presumably they are trying to sell these TVs)

If I hadn't discovered how they were connected, I'd have been convinced that HDTV was seriously over-hyped and the ONLY reason to buy a flat panel would be for form factor.

Yikes!
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Sad but true.

I guess though that people without the knowledge to know to avoid "The Source" are not likely to be able to tell much difference anyway :lol:
    Jason

Comment

• Dean McManis
      Moderator Emeritus
      • May 2003

Exactly.

This is the first thing that I think about when I hear comments that HD picture quality looks just like DVD.

Comment

• KeithM
        • Oct 2005

I've seen worse. Does anyone remember the name of the that connection before there were 3 RCA cables transmitting a signal that you'd use to hook the betamax player into the wood console TV (some of you old grandpas may remember it)? That was the picture source. At least 20 TVs hooked up to an indoor SDTV antenna :rofl:

Comment

• bigburner
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

Originally posted by KeithM
          I've seen worse. Does anyone remember the name of the that connection before there were 3 RCA cables transmitting a signal that you'd use to hook the betamax player into the wood console TV (some of you old grandpas may remember it)? That was the picture source. At least 20 TVs hooked up to an indoor SDTV antenna :rofl:
          RF perhaps?

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"