X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jsetliff
    • Oct 2007

Experiencing Problems with Zhd

I have had my Zhd installed for about a week now and have experienced the same problem about once a day. The Zhd is connected to the C1 using the supplied RS232 cable. I have three of the five HDMI inputs in use. About once a day, the Zhd switches from the currently selected input to no selected input...meaning that none of the indicators for input 1-5 are displayed on the front panel, and of course there is no video output from the Zhd when this happens.

Reselecting one of the inputs by pressing one of the front panel buttons turns the signal back on and appropriate indicator (1-5) lights back up. I am letting the C1 control the Zhd and not using the supplied remote. It just happens out of the blue. It has always happened so far while input 1 is selected which happens to be connected to a Directv HR20-700. However, this is the input that is selected most of the day, so I cannot say for sure that it would not happen while input 2 or input 3 are selected.

The output of the Zhd goes to the input of a Geffen 1X4 HDMI switch, which feeds four other TV's through out my home. I have been using the Geffen switch for at least six months and have never experienced any problems with it yet.

Any one else experiencing problems of this nature (or any other) with this unit? Did I get a faulty unit?
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Funny that you should mention this, YES, I just sent in my Zhd for some service work based on pretty much this exact thing. Here's the note that I sent in with my Zhd:

Problem info:
    1. Zhd will occasionally spontaneously change inputs (uncommanded) from one input to another. (i.e. I’ll be watching HDMI source #1, and it will change to source #2, or vice versa, etc)

2. Also occasionally, instead of spontaneously switching the HDMI input, it will suddenly drop the HDMI input, giving me no HDMI video at all, and no source will show on the Zhd front panel. (i.e. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5) Zhd will remain powered and on, and if I reselect an input with my remote control, it works fine again.

3. These occur maybe once every 7 hours of viewing. About 50% of the time, it happens out of the blue, without me pressing any buttons on anything, or doing any activity. The other 50% of the time, it happens when I change the volume on the C1 with my included Parasound MX-700 remote. Not sure why this would happen, since the Zhd was specifically designed to work with the C1.

4. I use the Zhd with the RS-232 cable connected to my C1. (also sent in for service now) I control my entire system with the Parasound MX-700 included with my C1. (which I also sent in, with the C1) I never really operate the C1 or Zhd by touch.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Oh yeah... and I'm interested that you use a Gefen 1x4 HDMI "switch". Is this the unit that mirrors four HDMI outputs, all showing the same thing? I'm currently setting up a new home that has a very robust A/V home distribution system, and am trying to take it to the next level by upgrading to HDMI. I really would like to have some sort of 6x6 HDMI Matrix, where you could watch, at will, any of 6 HDMI sources in any of 6 rooms, independant of the others. So I'm curious what your setup is like, how long the runs are, and how everything's working for you. Is the Zhd a good fit for the system you're making? (mine's getting integrated to it, also)
      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• jsetliff
        • Oct 2007

Chris,

I love the Geffen units. They have been so problem free for me. You just plug them in and they work. I would caution you that I ran in to problems with HDMI over 100 feet at 1080I. 480P was ok, go figure. To solve that problem (over 100 feet) I purchased the Geffen unit (model HDMI 1000HD)that converts the HDMI signal to four optical cables and one ethernet cable. It is an expensive solution but works flawlessly. I love when a product works as advertised.

So my experience is that the Geffen products are problem free and work as advertised. I can highly recommend them. In over six months of continuous use, I have never even had a single glitch with them. I do not know what you are doing for cables from the switch to the individual tv's. You probably already know by now that an HDMI cable of 100 feet or more can get fairly expensive, as are the optical cables if you go that route. If your distances are less than 100 feet, than I would suggest you try going just with an HDMI cable first, as the optical solution is more expensive. Make sure that you can return it if you have to switch to optical due to the distances.

Three of the four HDMI outputs from the Geffen switch to the TV's simply run on long HDMI cables (one is 50 feet, two are 75 feet). The fourth output goes HDMI into the unit that converts the HDMI signal to four opticals and one Cat 5 cable. They are 100 feet. This units works flawlessly also. I run only 1080I to the Geffen input as all of my TV's accept 1080I. Again, this unit has worked flawlessly since I installed it. (I did all the installations myself).

I do not have experience with the matrix switch that takes multiple HDMI inputs in and give multiple HDMI outputs. I just wanted the same signal that was being displayed on my main display to be mirrored on my kitchen, den, and master bedroom tv's.

I would be happy to answer any other questions that I can.

Jay

Comment

• jsetliff
          • Oct 2007

Chris,

on the Zhd, now that I am watching this problem more closely, I can say that I have also experienced the problem when I press the volume control on the C1's remote.

I have now also noticed it happen when I press the MODE+ button on the remote.

Let us know what happens with the service on your Zhd. When you get it back, let us know if the problem continues to occur, or stops.

Thanks,
          Jay

Comment

• jsetliff
            • Oct 2007

Chris,

I don't see the ZHd in your new rack pictures. Did you ever get the problems with it resolved? I am just about ready to replace mine with some other brand. Everyday it switches to no input selected for no reason.

I would love to hear that someone else who had this problem has had it successfully repaired.

Jay

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Jay-

Yes, I have one Zhd installed in the rack right now, on the left side about halfway down, right above the satellite receivers. It's dual-racked with a Zbreeze.

Thanks for bringing this up--I've been meaning to post feedback on the various service work that I had done. Bottom line, Parasound techs were NOT able to recreate Zhd switching issues, after leaving it for hours and hours. The thing they emphasized more than anything else was that the Zhd (and other A/V components for that matter) can pick up stray IR signals which may interfere with operations or cause uncommanded changes. They recommended I try placing a book or something else to cover the front IR sensor, since I was using the Zhd RS-232 cable, connected to the C1, for operations. I did point out that I wasn't the only one having the input switching, and that it would occasionally happen with me sitting, watching, not doing anything else at all.

Now, I can say that since receiving my Zhd and C1 back from Parasound, I haven't had any problems with the Zhd at all. Perhaps them re-formatting my C1 with the latest firmware changed a stray electron. Or, perhaps it was fixed by the new RS-232 cable they included. (more on this in a separate thread) Who knows... I will post, though, if I have any more problems.

I'm still in flux with how I'm going to set up and control HDMI in my setup, possibly with multiple Zhd's, but for now, I have just one in the home equipment rack.
              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"