X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LAMark
    • Sep 2007

A21 Gain controls

I am a longtime lurker on this forum but now I have a couple of questions. I am the happy owner of a C1, A51, and A21. Originally I had them set up for a 7.1 system, but recently I have experimented with keeping the C1/A51 in a 5.1 system (partly for the negative WAF of the two "extra" speakers in the middle of the room, and partly to see how good a two-channel system I could build) and putting the A21 into a dedicated stereo system. Having no other preamp available, I decided to try hooking up my CD player via the unbalanced connections directly to the A21 and use the gain controls on the back as volume control. It sounds great and it's not that inconvenient, as I don't want to hook up any other sources to the A21 and I don't change volume that often. So now to my questions: Am I missing something sonically by not having a preamp in between the CD player and the A21? Am I risking anything (damage to my speakers) in the directly connected configuration?

Mark
  • Zoran
    • Apr 2005

Soundwise you are not missing anything skipping the preamp in the audio chain, IMO... You are only reducing ergonomics and comfortableness. Don't forget to turn the gain controls all the way clockwise anytime when listening - in this position all "between" circuitry into the A21 should be bypassed and you gain the cleanest sound.

Super fine amp for the money. Congratulations.

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Heya, Mark! Welcome to the Guide and Club Parasound! :banana:

Zoran's right, you're not missing anything crucial by not having a pre-amp. What you take out of the system is your ability to single-point control volume, apply treble and bass controls, switch between sources, apply processing and/or soundfields, etc. If you don't need these things, that's okay.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• LAMark
        • Sep 2007

Zoran and Chris,

Thanks for your prompt replies. So now I can focus on tweaking what I've got. One thing I'm still curious about. Zoran, you mention turning up the gain controls all the way to get the cleanest sound. Unfortunately, since this is my only volume control, that is not practical for me as the "THX" setting is too loud even for me. I don't understand how turning the pot up to that point changes the signal path, can you explain?

Mark.

Comment

• Zoran
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by LAMark
          Zoran and Chris,

Thanks for your prompt replies. So now I can focus on tweaking what I've got. One thing I'm still curious about. Zoran, you mention turning up the gain controls all the way to get the cleanest sound. Unfortunately, since this is my only volume control, that is not practical for me as the "THX" setting is too loud even for me. I don't understand how turning the pot up to that point changes the signal path, can you explain?

Mark.

The A21 white paper simply says that turning up the gain controls bypasses all circuitry involved around the pots. Result - purest signal path, cleanest sound.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"