X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mdw_tpa
    • Nov 2006

Running A23 mono

Anyone have any thoughts on running an A23 mono with a 6 ohm center channel? I know that Parasound suggests that it not be done. Thanks in advance.
  • mike c
    • Dec 2005

the amp will experience hotter than normal working temps and will most likely shorten the life of the unit.

Comment

• Vince Helm
      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by mdw_tpa
      Anyone have any thoughts on running an A23 mono with a 6 ohm center channel? I know that Parasound suggests that it not be done. Thanks in advance.
      I am using an A23 in mono with a NHT SB3 as the center. It is rated at 8 ohms but dips into the 6 ohm range. Works great, amp does not get very hot nor has it ever overheated.

good luck
      Vince

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Vince Helm
        I am using an A23 in mono with a NHT SB3 as the center. It is rated at 8 ohms but dips into the 6 ohm range. Works great, amp does not get very hot nor has it ever overheated.
        Yeah, but a speaker 6 ohms nominal, might dip into 3 ohms... Bye, bye A23. It was a nice amp, now it's toast :B

Peter

Comment

• marcus
          • Feb 2006

Just curious. . . do any of you guys think I may CONSIDERABLY reduce the life of a Halo A51 by using it to drive a 4 ohm load,the sensitivity is claimed to be 92 db @1w/meter (these specs are for all channels). . .my amp does run hot. . .especially when I give it a thorough workout!!!!!! :B

Comment

• r100gs
            • May 2005

Originally posted by marcus
            Just curious. . . do any of you guys think I may CONSIDERABLY reduce the life of a Halo A51 by using it to drive a 4 ohm load,the sensitivity is claimed to be 92 db @1w/meter (these specs are for all channels). . .my amp does run hot. . .especially when I give it a thorough workout!!!!!! :B
            NO, but peter may know better. :W
            Last edited by r100gs; 07 December 2006, 09:34 Thursday.
            Jay

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by marcus
              The A51 is designed to work fine with a 4 ohm load. It will not run any hotter in 4 ohms than 8 ohms (Class A power is halved in 4 ohms), nor will a 4 ohm load reduce its life.

I ran my A51 with five power hungry 4 ohm loads (85db/1W/1m) without problems or damage to the amp. (When you're pushing the amp to the limit, the A21 excels. However, at moderate power levels the difference between the amps is subtle).

Peter

Comment

• marcus
                • Feb 2006

Cheers. . .always a bonus when an opinion comes from someone with previous experience of a similar situation

Comment

• Pookie007
                  • Apr 2006

This might be a elementary question, but I don't know the answer. I have B&W with 2 sets of posts. If I bi-amp the speakers using a A23 I assume I would connect one channel to one set of posts, and the other channel to the second set. The active cross over would be installed between the pre-amp and amp correct? I already run 2 sets of speaker cables to each speaker from the amp.

My confusion is the speakers are already designed to filter out unwanted frequencies by the crossover inside the speakers, so the active crossover would have to match the frequencies of the passive crossover inside the speakers so I don't create a hole in the frequency response. So I would be filtering the same frequencies twice. Is the advantage the amp only has to amplify a smaller range of frequencies? Is this really an advantage to just using a splitter to feed the same signal to both channels of the amp?

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Pookie007
                    My confusion is the speakers are already designed to filter out unwanted frequencies by the crossover inside the speakers
                    If you keep the internal crossovers, you don't need an external crossover. (Like you say, it will be a problem, and cannot really be used with the passive crossover still in place).

What you're doing in this case is called "passive bi-amping".

so the active crossover would have to match the frequencies of the passive crossover inside the speakers so I don't create a hole in the frequency response.
                    Ideally, you should remove the passive crossover inside the speaker. This will let you do active biamping using an external crossover.

The big advantage of this is that you can remove the passive crossover which is often of dubious quality. (Even expensive speakers like the $13k Magnepan 20.1s benefit from removing the passive crossover. Magnepan knows this and houses the woofer/midrange XO in an external box so that it is easily removed by the owner).

Since your speakers already allow for bi-amping, the woofer XO can probably simply be removed/bypassed. However, assuming your speakers are 3-way, your midrange/tweeter XO needs to be modified. You will want to remove/bypass the woofer/midrange XO and still keep the midrage/tweeter XO in place. The latter has to stay, unless you want to go with tri-amping :B

B&W speakers are extremely popular, so I'm sure you'll be able to find other owners that have modified the internal XO and can help you with the specifics...

Peter

Comment

• Pookie007
                      • Apr 2006

Thanks for the info Peter. Your reply has just convinced me I do not want to bi-amp my speakers. I am still feeling the pain in my wallet from purchasing them. I think I will stick with bridging one to mono for the center, and run the second in stereo for the surrounds. I have an Audio Research for the mains and I am very happy with it.

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2004

Thanks for the info Peter. Your reply has just convinced me I do not want to bi-amp my speakers. I am still feeling the pain in my wallet from purchasing them. I think I will stick with bridging one to mono for the center, and run the second in stereo for the surrounds. I have an Audio Research for the mains and I am very happy with it.
                        Is your center bi-ampable? In this case, passive biamping may be better than bridging the amp (less stress on the amp).

Peter

Comment

• Pookie007
                          • Apr 2006

Yes, I have the option to passive bi-amp the center. Or I can leave the jumpers in and run the amp mono. Running the amp mono is a little cheaper option because I won't have to buy another set of speaker cables, but if this causes unnecessary strain on the amp, they might be a wise investment.

Comment

• Pookie007
                            • Apr 2006

My wife might not let me continue to live here, but since bridging the amps wasn't an issue, the A23s were not as appealing. I took the day off work and pulled the trigger on two Audio Research 150.2 amps. They were showroom units and I got a smoking deal on them. I connected one to the center (passive bi-amping) and used the other for the surrounds. I already had a 300.2 on the mains. I am going to move my Halo A23 to a 2 channel system in another room. Now I just need a new pre-amps with balanced outputs for both systems. Hopefully the tax refund will cover Halo C2 for the main system. I don't see any advantages to a C1 with my setup.

Does the C1 give some advantage over the C2 I should consider? I will never need the display on the unit since it is in the same room with my screen.

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Sep 2004

Does the C1 give some advantage over the C2 I should consider? I will never need the display on the unit since it is in the same room with my screen.
                              No. Save some money and go with the C2.

Peter

Comment

• Chris D
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Dec 2000

Only if you need another component video input then!

(I do use the screen on my C1)
                                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                - Pleasantville

Comment

• Pookie007
                                  • Apr 2006

I use an external scaler, so the extra video input won't benefit me. I am going to try and do side-by-side comparisons with the Arcam, Rotel, Krell, and Parasound Halo. I put this post in a different forum that is more appropriate. I didn't want to hijack this thread.

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"