X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thunderstorm77
    • Jul 2007

P3/A23 Volume problem - HELP!

I have the P3/A23 combo hooked up through balanced cables. The source is a computer with balanced output (EMU 1212M). The problem is that one speaker plays significantly higher than the other. I have worked on this for about 2 months, and it's driving me crazy.

When messing around with the cables and config, sometimes the volume will be even for both speakers, but unfortunately, the problem comes back when I stop playing for a while and turns back on.

1. I have checked the source to limit the problem. When hooking up an MP3 player to the P3, the same volume problem exists.

2. I have switched the speaker cables to rule out if it's a speaker problem. There should not be a bad connection with the speaker wire.

3. I have tried all different settings on the back of the A23 - gain left/right, mono vs stereo.

4. The connection from the P3 to the A23 are some high quality Audioquest cables.

This is a strange problem. It sounds very delicately when everything's OK. Anyone has any thoughts on this? I don't understand how the problem can come and go like this.
  • lvhung
    • Jun 2005

I think it might be a fault of your preamp

Comment

• thunderstorm77
      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by lvhung
      I think it might be a fault of your preamp
      Thanks for the tip. I did hook up some headphones to the P3, and they played with an even left/right volume. I'll try to hook directly from source into A23 to check the amp.

Comment

• r100gs
        • May 2005

Have you tried the standard unbalanced cables?
        Jay

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Try doing it systematically by following these test steps:

Note: If you get to a point where everything is working again, then just remember where you were and wait for the problem to reappear in order to get the test result for the test step in question.

1. On the back of the A21, swap the speaker outputs: Left speaker-Right channel & Right speaker - Left channel.

Does the problem move to the other speaker? If not, then stop here. You have a problem with the speaker cable or speaker. If the problem moves over to the other speaker, continue to step #2

2. Swap the Left & Right input of the A21.

Does the problem move to the other speaker? If not, then stop here. You have a problem with the A21 inputs. Maybe the input attenuator potentiometer is bad. If you can, try using the other set of inputs (XLR vs. RCA). If the problem moves over to the other speaker, continue to step #3

3. Swap the Left & Right output of your preamp.

Does the problem move to the other speaker? If not, you have bad interconnects (A21-preamp). If the problem moves over to the other speaker, continue to step #4

4. Swap the Left & Right input of your preamp.

Does the problem move to the other speaker? If not, the problem is with your preamp. If the problem moves over to the other speaker, continue to step #5

5. Swap the Left & Right output of your source.

Does the problem move to the other speaker? If not, the problem is with the interconnects between preamp and source. If the problem moves over to the other speaker the problem is with your source unit.

Hope this helps.

Peter

Comment

• thunderstorm77
            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Peter Nielsen
            Try doing it systematically by following these test steps:

Note: If you get to a point where everything is working again, then just remember where you were and wait for the problem to reappear in order to get the test result for the test step in question.

1. On the back of the A21, swap the speaker outputs: Left speaker-Right channel & Right speaker - Left channel.

Does the problem move to the other speaker? If not, then stop here. You have a problem with the speaker cable or speaker. If the problem moves over to the other speaker, continue to step #2

2. Swap the Left & Right input of the A21.

Does the problem move to the other speaker? If not, then stop here. You have a problem with the A21 inputs. Maybe the input attenuator potentiometer is bad. If you can, try using the other set of inputs (XLR vs. RCA). If the problem moves over to the other speaker, continue to step #3

3. Swap the Left & Right output of your preamp.

Does the problem move to the other speaker? If not, you have bad interconnects (A21-preamp). If the problem moves over to the other speaker, continue to step #4

4. Swap the Left & Right input of your preamp.

Does the problem move to the other speaker? If not, the problem is with your preamp. If the problem moves over to the other speaker, continue to step #5

5. Swap the Left & Right output of your source.

Does the problem move to the other speaker? If not, the problem is with the interconnects between preamp and source. If the problem moves over to the other speaker the problem is with your source unit.

Hope this helps.

Peter

Thanks Peter, I really appreciate your help. I made it to step 2, and it's now working properly. I'll wait and see if the problem comes back before moving to step 3.

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

When the problem reappears, with the amp on and music playing at a moderate level, try to turn the Gain knobs on the rear panel of the A21 and see if that helps. Then flip the Balanced/Unbalanced switch a few times and see if that fixes the problem. Finally try to wiggle the connectors (without disconnecting them) and see if that makes a difference.

Possibly you have a loose connection on the input board of the A21 or bad contact in one of the potentiometers or the input selector switch.

Peter

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"