X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

New BIG release from Universal Remote for Parasound MXEditor

Well, for the heck of it today, I started up my Parasound MX Editor program (the one that allows me to custom program my MX-700 remote that came with my C1) and it downloaded a VERY LARGE update from MX Editor.

It required a restart of the MXEditor program, and when it came back up, it told me something to the effect of "This program can no longer be updated. It will not be supported in the future by Universal Remote. See the website for details."

Okay, fine. Going to the Universal Remote website, they're coming out with a new program called "Complete Control" that will be able to be used for ALL of their remote products. Interesting idea. We'll have to see how it works for the Parasound MX remotes. The thing is, you have to get an "access code" from your dealer or distributor to be able to use it. Universal Remote's website indicates that after this weekend (August 7th) the new program will be available for download and the old programs will no longer receive support.

Sooooooooo... let's see what happens!
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Here's the weblink for Universal Remote's download page where it talks about the new progam:

In case what I wrote above was confusing, to clarify it appears that after this weekend the old MX Editor program will still work. Universal Remote just won't provide any more updates. (my hunch is, the program will still download this latest one that came out this week, though, and then no more)

We'll have to get with all our original dealers or distributors to get access to Universal Remote's new download page to get the new "Complete Control" program. No information yet if that program will have specific setup stuff for the Parasound versions of the Universal Remotes.

For those that don't know, the only difference in the Halo version of the included MX-700 remote from the non-Halo version is that the power buttons are switched. (I'm still not exactly sure why they did this) So worst case, you'll be able to use the standard version of the MX-700 portion in this new "Complete Control" program, and then just switch the power buttons.

I'll do a little digging on my end to see for us Parasound owners if it'll change the process we need to go through to get access to this new "Complete Control" program.
    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• mitch57
      • Nov 2004

You would not believe the ranting and raving going on over the way URC handled this. I was one of the first ones to discover this issue when they made the change on August 1st. URC didn't even tell their authorized dealers that they were going to do it which basically blind sided them and their customers. When I called my authorized dealer to report the problem he was shocked and pissed off about the whole affair.

URC handled this software update very poorly. Check out what people are saying about this issue at remotecentral.com. Here's the link:

Mitch
      :stupidpc:

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

So Mitch, what have you found out in your dealings so far? Is your dealer hooking you up with access to this new control program?

I have an E-mail into Universal Remote to see if they can hook all us Parasound owners up with access, as we didn't buy the remote itself direct from a dealer; they came packaged with the products.
        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• mitch57
          • Nov 2004

My dealer took care of me that very same day. If you want I can email you a copy of the software that will allow you to get updates. However, Doesn't the Parasound software have the power buttons on the opposite side of the remote? On the MX-700 software the "Power Off" button is on the right hand side of the remote.

I was under the impression that your updates came from Parasound and not URC. But based on the fact that you got the "Can't update software ..." message it sounds like your updates are in fact coming form URC.

Either way, let me know and I will send you a copy of the software.
          Mitch

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

sure... Mitch, YHM.

For all, the latest update that MXEditor did brought me up version 1.12.267, which includes IR database version 1.76 as listed here: http://universalremote.com/htm/updatehistory/index.php The update is listed as released on 25 July 06.

The MXEditor for Parasound does seem to draw its updates from URC direct.

We'll see what happens in the next few weeks with the URC stuff.
            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• eduardw
              • May 2004

This really sucks, I've just got an email from the dealer where I bought my MX 700.

"I’m sorry: we only stock and ship products and do not have access to software updates.

Sincerely,

The Twister Group"

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Yes, this is not a simplistic as it initially appears from Universal Remote. I'll post more here shortly, as I've done some research.
                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

As mentioned above, there's quite a bit of discussion on this one, in this thread here:

I posted my personal thoughts on the end of that thread, (see page 22 of it) particularly in regards to how it pertains to us Parasound owners, and other product owners that came packaged with Universal Remote Control brand remotes. As you can read in that post, I'm concerned that legitimate buyers like us have yet to be addressed, and seem to be pushed away by URC as end-users, unless you happen to be a business owner and are one of URC's Custom Installers. You can read the public released statement on URC's new policy here:

I have contacted URC to see how they plan to take care of us and other, and am waiting to hear back.

If you want to contact URC directly about your Parasound-bundled URC remote control, apparently you can also call direct: (914)835-4484.
                  Last edited by Chris D; 09 August 2006, 00:43 Wednesday.
                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• bhuskins
                    • Aug 2003

I doubt they'll do anything for the proprietary remotes like Parasounds. The way they'll look at it is that they've put out a final release that will support you indefinitely. Nothing states you are entitled to additional enhancements and/or new device codes going forward. You can always manually learn a new device into the system and that will be their argument.

Brent Huskins
                    Media Design

Comment

• Chetk
                      • May 2004

Perhaps someone whould send an e-mail to Parasound instead of URC since Parasound is the company that made the deal with URC to resale their remotes. It only seems logical to me that it's Parasound's responsibility to get their customers the latest update. They should be fighting for us and NOT us fending for ourselves.

Comment

• bhuskins
                        • Aug 2003

The problem is that URC will say that Parasound customers do have the latest and LAST release...fully functional forever so to speak...how can you argue that?

Comment

• Chetk
                          • May 2004

I guess I don't understand what you're saying Brent. So what exactly is this new software release if not the last release?

Comment

• mitch57
                            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Chetk
                            I guess I don't understand what you're saying Brent. So what exactly is this new software release if not the last release?
                            The new software release that came out on August 1st does two things. It updates the IR database and it disables the ability to get any further updates. In order to get the software that does allow updates you have to go through the authorized dealer where you purchased the remote.

For all us Parasound owners that means we supposedly would have to go through Parasound to get the software that would allow us to get future updates to the software.

As Brent stated earlier it doesn't look like that's going to happen. Maybe Chris will call Parasound and see what they have to say about it.
                            Mitch

Comment

• bhuskins
                              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Chetk
                              They're one in the same. It's the last release we'll see and it happens to be new.

They aren't obligated to add features or add drivers. You can always manually add a drivers. So, I would assume there is nothing Parasound could justify doing.

A year or two from now the software will still work and really the only negative is that any new device from now on would have to be manually added, which only takes a couple of minutes.

Comment

• Chetk
                                • May 2004

So really, the only advantage to the new software release is additions to the database? Yet, the dissadvantage is you have to be or go through a reseller in order to get it EVERY time there's a new release?

It seems that the dissadvantage outweighs the advantage in this case.

Comment

• mitch57
                                  • Nov 2004

Originally posted by bhuskins
                                  A year or two from now the software will still work and really the only negative is that any new device from now on would have to be manually added, which only takes a couple of minutes.
                                  Actually there is more to the updates then just the IR Database. Many of the new software releases address bugs in the program. I've yet to see URC release any of their software that's bug free. Just go to www.remotecentral.com and look at all the software updates for the 700/800/850/900/950 that addressed software glitches.

Sometimes URC's updates fix one problem but break something else in the process.
                                  Mitch

Comment

• bhuskins
                                    • Aug 2003

These types of issues though are always non show stopping bugs. I really don't think any of this will be an issue for C1/C2 owners. The current version is great and I really have zero complaints. Not sure what the real concern is.

Comment

• mitch57
                                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by bhuskins
                                      These types of issues though are always non show stopping bugs. I really don't think any of this will be an issue for C1/C2 owners. The current version is great and I really have zero complaints. Not sure what the real concern is.
                                      I would surmise that one of the concerns would be an update that added a new feature to the remote. I don't forsee that happening with the MX-700 but some where down the line manufactures may be including the MX-900 or similar type remote which is expected to get some software updates that effect the functionality of the remote.

For example, later this year URC will add the ability to use "variables" on the MX-900. Without having access to the software updates the end user would not be able to get that "New" functionality unless they purchased from an "Authorized Dealer". Thus leaving Parasound and other manufactures customer's/end users out in the cold.

But as you stated for the MX-700 and current Parasound users it's probably a non issue. Although I personally think URC should have done a better job in making the change. My "Authorized Dealer" wasn't even aware of the change until I called him and told him I couldn't update my new remote that I just bought from him. Talk about poor customer relations. They bit the very hand that feeds them by making that change without notifying the Dealers well in advance so they could support their customers when the change was made.
                                      Mitch

Comment

• nicholtl
                                        • Aug 2003

Come on guys, it's really not a big deal. There's no point nitpicking a fight just for the sake of having something to bicker about. Having your MX-700 "learn" a new remote is not only easy, I personally find it to be the superior way in customizing a universal remote anyhow.

Comment

• mitch57
                                          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by nicholtl
                                          Come on guys, it's really not a big deal. There's no point nitpicking a fight just for the sake of having something to bicker about. Having your MX-700 "learn" a new remote is not only easy, I personally find it to be the superior way in customizing a universal remote anyhow.
                                          Whose nitpicking a fight?
                                          Mitch

Comment

• Chris D
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Dec 2000

Perhaps I can provide a summarization of what this means to us owners of Parasound-bundled Universal Remote Control (URC) products, so there's no undue alarm, and to update where we're at:

1. As far as I can tell, this pertains ONLY to Halo C1 and C2 owners that use their MX-700 and Sidekick remote controls. I don't think Parasound bundled any URC-customizable remotes with thier other products. (i.e. the NewClassic 7100 remote is made by URC, but not customizable via computer)

2. This latest update (25 July) by URC updates the MXEditor computer program to the latest software version, as well as updates the IR database it contains to the latest version. It also DISABLES the Live Update feature of MXEditor from obtaining any more future free updates.

3. Therefore, Parasound owners of MX-700 remotes and users of the MXEditor program will continue to have fully functioning remotes and MXEditor programs. To access any future updates past the 25 July 06 update, owners will have to contact their original dealers who may be able to provide access to the new URC-password-protected program titled "complete control".

4. This means that current MX-700 owners should always have a fully-functioning product, and be able to enter commands for new products not contained in the current IR database (i.e. the upcoming Playstation 3) via the "learning remote" function of the MX-700. They simply will not have access to pre-loaded IR commands for these new products, or other functional updates to the remote or MX Editor program, unless they get the password access from their dealer.

5. I'm personally currently not in a location where I can call Parasound direct on the phone to ask if they have any information on how this pertains to their products. However, when I get a chance, I'll E-mail the Parasound staff. I already have had an E-mail request in to URC for several days now, to get information on how this pertains to us, but have yet to receive a response.

I'll keep everyone as updated as I can.
                                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• mitch57
                                              • Nov 2004

Chris,

I wouldn't hold your breath on getting an email response from URC. Numerous posts on remotecentral indicate they have never received a response via email. A personal phone call is recommended if you want to get an answer to your question.

Perhaps someone else here on the forum would step up to the plate and call URC/Parasound and see what they have to say on this issue. I personally would volunteer but since I'm already having issues with one of them right now I would prefer not to get involved in this issue.

But as you stated Parasound users should have no problem using and adding codes to their current remotes.
                                              Mitch

Comment

• bhuskins
                                                • Aug 2003

I'll know what Parasound's position will be in the next couple of days.

They are looking into it.

Brent Huskins
                                                Media Design

Comment

• Chris D
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Dec 2000

...and give the man a cigar. I got a response right back from Richard at Parasound (the president) within a few hours, even though he's out travelling. They are currently writing a new updater software, and will be talking to URC about URC's new policy and what that means to Parasound. It really seems like URC really blindsided everyone by this move--users, dealers, sister manufacturers that use their products like Parasound, etc. Some of those people are happy, others are not.

WHAT PARASOUND OWNERS NEED TO DO NOW:

- Nothing, really. Both your MX-700 and MXeditor programs are fully functional and have current data. Your current version of MXEditor will give you just as much function and capability as the new "Complete Control" program. If you update it to the 25 Jul version, (1.12.267) the program and the database looks EXACTLY like the Complete Control system.

- If you don't already have the MXEditor program, you can still download it from Parasound's website.

- I'll keep you all posted if I ever hear back from Universal Remote how we're going to be supported. Similarly, if Parasound releases any products, I'll let you know.

- You may want to contct your dealer where you bought your Parasound Halo C1/C2 to see if they can provide you with access to the new "Complete Control" program. Again, though, it won't give you any extra benefit until whenever the NEXT update comes out.
                                                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Dec 2000

Mitch, you're right, I still haven't heard back from URC, even though I've submitted a message on their website, I've posted *4* different posts on Remote Central that URC has read, and even E-mailed Eric Johnson, URC Marketing VP, direct.

I'm currently out of the country, but if somebody could call URC direct and ask how they intend to support us Parasound owners, I'd really appreciate it. (914) 835-4484

If someone calls, I would emphasize that:
                                                    1. We are AUTHORIZED buyers that bought our Parasound products from authorized Parasound dealers.
                                                    2. Our MX-700 remotes came packaged with our C1/C2 controllers.
                                                    3. Because many Parasound dealers don't also carry URC remotes, many of us don't have access to URC support from our dealers. Therefore, we are not supported by URC's new policy, even though we made purchases fully consistent with the sales policies of both Parasound and URC.
                                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• mitch57
                                                      • Nov 2004

I talked to Eric Johnson (VP of Technology @ Universal Remote Control) yesterday. I asked him about the issue with Parasound C1/C2 owners not being able to update their MX-700 editor software. He informed me that they would be sending Parasound the new "Updateable Editor" within the next few days. I was talking to him about another issue so I can't recall the exact date he quoted me but I seem to recall him saying that Parasound would have the new editor software by either today or by next week. Don't quote me on the exact date but rest assured, it will be available very shortly.

I hope this puts those of you at ease that are concerned about both URC and Parasound taking care of you as the customers of their products. I would suggest checking Parasound's web site for information on the latest update to the editor software over the next few days.

Let us all know either way if your able download the latest version.
                                                      Mitch

Comment

• Chris D
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Dec 2000

:banana: Yay... I just wish URC would have responded to even one of my 9 attemps to talk to them about this... :M
                                                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Dec 2000

Okay, after 3 weeks of trying to get URC to respond to me, I finally got back an OFFICIAL statement from Jeff Wagner at URC:

Chris,

Parasound - like B & K and other companies who we manufacture remotes for - handles all issues with their products. If you have any issues you'll need to contact Parasound directly.

Jeff Wagner
                                                          Although I'm pretty disappointed with the way that URC has handled this, (but not necessarily the decision to make the policy itself) and very disappointed with URC's statement that end-users are not able not fully program and use URC customizable remotes, Mr. Wagner's reply is neither a surprise nor completely out of line. I was just hoping to get some tiny bit of support from URC, since they dumped this in everybody's lap from the bottom to the top.

What this means for everybody here (and ALL other OEM owners of URC products) is that you do need to talk to Parasound directly (or whatever company packaged the URC product) for any support of your remote control. As Mitch stated above, Parasound is working hard to pick up the pieces and fix this URC issue. URC will not give you any support at all.
                                                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• mitch57
                                                            • Nov 2004

There's been some talk at www.remotecentral.com that future URC remotes will only be programmable through Custom Installers. Whether or not there's any truth to this I can't say. I personally think they would be shooting themselves in the head if they did this. Although RTI's product line is strictly Custom Installer programmable with the exception of their discontinued T2.

I'm guessing that the manufactures are concerned of getting a bad rap from unhappy customers that blame the remote when in reality it's most likely due to the user's lack of expertise/experience in programming remotes. Again, just a guess. I have no facts to back up my statements.
                                                            Mitch

Comment

• Chris D
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Dec 2000

[rant on] Hey... I'm rather peeved about this URC thing. I can understand their reasons for doing this, and won't argue about authorized dealers vs. "grey-market". That's a problem that plagues every area of the industry. (and many others)

I'm just disappointed that URC is turning up their nose at their legitimate public users, their own customers, pushing us away. As far as our Parasound-specific remotes go, URC is full of crap by saying "it's a Parasound remote, it's not our problem". Parasound didn't suddenly disable the Live Update function, URC did! And now they refuse to give any support.

If nothing else, that's a pretty crappy move by URC, to dump this load of junk on Parasound and other OEM-packaged companies, and then place all responsibility on those companies to fix the problem. [/rant off]
                                                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• mitch57
                                                                • Nov 2004

I agree that URC did not impliment this change in a gracious fashion. Why in the heck didn't they release the new version to all the OEM manufactures like Parasound, and other Authorized Dealers, weeks ahead of implementing the live update that disabled the ability to update the software? That way the manufactures would have time to prepare for the onslought of support calls. Or at least give those manufactures time to provide a notice on their perspective web pages indicating that there will be a new software release for registered owners or owners that can provide a valid traceable serial number for a product that originally shipped with a URC remtoe.

From what I've heard they claim that this policy change was in the planning phase for months before they pulled the plug. It seems odd that it takes months just to make a decision to pull the plug without any notification to anyone including their own Authorized Dealers and OEM customers.

I truly hope that URC doesn't decide to go the route of RTI. Custom Installer programmed remote or no remote at all. That would force every DIY type to start using Pronto, Logitech, etc. I personally feel URC makes one of the best, if not the best, hard button remote out there.

While I don't agree with the way URC went about making the new policy change I do love their remotes.
                                                                Mitch

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • Dec 2000

I started a new thread on Remote Central a couple of weeks ago trying to get URC to respond. This is the one that Jeff Wagner at URC replied to.

Interestingly enough, he replied again saying that Parasound has unlocked Live Update in the Parasound MXEditor program. I just tried to use mine, and I get the same pop-up message, so I'm wondering if you have to uninstall and re-install a new version of the program to overcome the URC lock-out. I'll see if the Parasound boys know anything. :roll:
                                                                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• blownrx7
                                                                    • Dec 2004

Chris,
                                                                    Thanks for bird-dogging this.
                                                                    We knew something was up a few months ago when we tried to update and it appeared to only work with the "old" version. Only problem for me was I had already deleted the "old" version. Then we got to the current state - nothing updates.
                                                                    Hopefully we'll get some resolution soon.

Comment

• bhuskins
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Aug 2003

I would assume an uninstall/reinstall will fix it if the update has actually happened.

Comment

• bhuskins
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Aug 2003

FYI - Parasound has posted the new software on their website as of Friday afternoon the 25th that allows for the ongoing updates. I would assume that you need to uninstall your old version and reinstall this latest version.

Brent Huskins
                                                                        Media Design

Comment

• blownrx7
                                                                          Member
                                                                          • Dec 2004

Now MX Editor for Parasound does not work!

I did the Live update for the PArasound MX-Editor and now I get an error message and it won't even open.

Oddly enough, I also did the live update for the regular MX-700 editor and it updated! version 1.12.267

What is going on here???
                                                                          Attached Files

Comment

• blownrx7
                                                                            Member
                                                                            • Dec 2004
                                                                            • 96

Must Uninstall Old Version

My bad. ops:
                                                                            Does not follow directions! Does not play well with others ops:

I uininstalled the old version and then installed the new version and it openned up with the latest version 1.12.267.
                                                                            All is well, I think...
                                                                            At least until the next time URC or Parasound touches it :roll:

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                                              • Dec 2000
                                                                              • 16877

#39
                                                                              Don't you love that Universal Remote washes their hands COMPLETELY clean of any interaction with Parasound or other manufacturers that use their products, but then barges in and locks up updates on those very same products?

If they're going to have nothing to do with OEM products used by manufacturers, then they should not interfere with them either. :roll:
                                                                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• bhuskins
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Aug 2003
                                                                                • 504

#40
                                                                                What??? I really don't see the point...all is well now and you didn't even miss one update...what's the big deal?

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                  • Dec 2000
                                                                                  • 16877

#41
                                                                                  Yes, we shouldn't get overly wrapped up in details that we miss the big picture--everything resolved. Biggest inconvenience to Parasound owners is the need to uninstall their existing MXEditor and re-install the new version.

All along, I've said that the effect on owners may be minimal, and I don't even argue with WHY URC decided to do this. I think they just made a huge mistake with HOW they went about doing this. More planned pre-thought, and this could have been a powerful move while retaining loyal customers. In conjunction with the official public statements they've made about how they regard end-users of their products, (or the lack thereof) they've just alienated a whole bunch of legitimate customers.

Granted, these people may not necessarily make a switch to other remote manufacturers, impacting URC's bottom line, but this was not a wisely implemented decision, and is a big black mark on public opinion of the company.
                                                                                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                    • Dec 2000
                                                                                    • 16877

#42
                                                                                    Well, I did an update on the newest version of MXEditor for Parasound. (the one that corrects the URC-induced lockout) It updates the IR database to 1.77 as of 9 Oct. I guess URC is continuing support for the MX-700 after all, at least for the time being.
                                                                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• blownrx7
                                                                                      Member
                                                                                      • Dec 2004
                                                                                      • 96

#43
                                                                                      Didn't work for me

I tried it a few times and each time it would try for a bit and then come back "download failed"
                                                                                      Hmmm...

Comment

• Vince Helm
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Mar 2006
                                                                                        • 134

#44
                                                                                        OK, so I am a little late but I finally downloaded the latest version from the Parasound web page... I lost the sidekick. What am I doing wrong as I can not get the sidekick to show up so I can program it for Zone B.

Thanks
                                                                                        Vince

Comment

Working...
                                                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                        Search Result for "|||"