X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeff Mayer
    • Mar 2006

Power cord upgrade?

Has anyone here bothered with fancy power cords? Are the stock Halo cords worth replacing? Just wondering... Thanks.

Jeff
  • Peter Nielsen
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Not worth it unless you first invest in a fancy power regeneration device like the PS Audio Power Plant.

Read this: http://www.kevinboone.com/hifimainscables.html

Peter

Comment

• joetama
      • May 2006

The only power cable upgrade that I have done is change the size to a bigger one. But that's it..... If you try it let us know how it works out.....
      -Joe

Comment

• Vince Helm
        • Mar 2006

power cords

yes power cords can make a significant difference... With better quality gear and a good ear you can get some great results. I have Parasound C2 and several Halo amps. I have obtained worth while improvments from Cardas, PS Audio, Revelation Auidio Labs. The Halo C2 pre/pro (using the direct analog inputs) has allowed each change in power cord to come through. On one occasion the difference was not so clear until I removed the "upgraded" power cord and returned to stock. The stock cords from Parasound are not bad... better than most in mid/hi-fi. For my two channel source I use a Musical Fidelity X-Dacv3, X-10 tube bufferv3 and the XPSUv3 external power supply. The power supply sends 12volt DC to the DAC and Tube Buffer, I replaced the stock power cables with 2 cables from Revelation Audio Labs... the improvement was off the charts!!!!!!!!! I can not put into words what happened. I know of several on-line companies that will give you a 30 day trial and full refund on almost any/every power cord available... PLEASE, if you try the power cable avenue, allow at least a few days for burn-in, do not make any conclusions until you listen with the stock cord again. If you want better sound the right power cords can help. Beware, it can be a maddening pursuit... enter at your own risk.

Vince

Comment

• Jeff Mayer
          • Mar 2006

Interesting links Peter. Good article. I've had a hard time figuring out how the last 5 or 6 feet of cable can make a difference in performance. But I've been curious since many claim otherwise. The PS Audio cables are a good deal...
          Speaking of PS Audio I have a PS Audio punch cable connected to a UPC-200 powering my front end with some small benefit outside of surge protection. The UPC has reduced graininess. Things sound a tad smoother but that's the extent of it. I have the A51 plugged into the wall as I continually hear this to be the best way to go.
          I forget which product I heard was an "improvement" on the the PS Audio Power Plant. Either the ExactPower or Audiophile APS. In any event it seems I'd need something mighty large to handle an A51. Seems over the top to me.
          Jeff

Comment

• r100gs
            • May 2005

Out of all the cables I have purchased, PC's were the only ones I felt did not give me any audio improvement. I hope your's differ.
            Jay

Comment

• badboyspack
              • May 2006

Is there really a difference on the power cords, I never thought of it as an upgrade.
              Tom
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Klipsch RF-7's mains
              Klipsch RC-7 center
              Klipsch RB-75's surrounds
              :heh:

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

The power cable question was answered, this edition of cable talk in Club Halo/Parasound is over...

bad boy, it's subjective at best. Very subjective. It's one reason we don't focus on them at CAT.

Doug
                Doug
                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"