I already have C2/A52 - do I have to get an A23?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cameronl
    • Jul 2004

I already have C2/A52 - do I have to get an A23?

hi there all, I have the C2/A52 pair driving a Quad L speaker system (21L/Center/12L).

I've been told (and read on these forums) that I should get the A23 for driving my 21L's as it would match the best.

Now, the A23 is much cheaper than the A21 and the 21L's do sound great to me so is there any reason why I should look at getting the A21 to drive my front L/R speakers?

Actually, I'd love to get a Quad 909 poweramp but it wouldn't match the look

CaM
  • Peter Nielsen
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

No. Not unless you have noticed that the A52 is running "out of juice". If all sounds good, there is no reason IMHO.

Comment

• nicholtl
      • Aug 2003

Yeah, I doubt the A23 will make that much of an addition to your system. The A21, however, would be a different story.

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by nicholtl
        The A21, however, would be a different story.
        Assuming that he wants to go with a 7 channel system...

Peter

Comment

• nicholtl
          • Aug 2003

I don't think he was, though. Since he was contemplating an A23 to drive his L and R speakers, and already had an A52, I was under the impression cameroni simply wanted a seperate 2-channel amp for 2-channel listening, leaving the A52 to handle the center and surround duties.

Comment

• cameronl
            • Jul 2004

sorry for the confusion guys, I'm a 7 channel geek

I currently use my Arcam A32 FMJ as a poweramp to drive the back 2. I was looking at removing the Arcam and using the A52 for center and surrounds.

This would mean I could use a 2 channel poweramp to drive my L&R for both movies and music. I was just wondering whether the A21 (Quad 909 or even something else?) would unbalance my movie listening. I know setting the levels would probably fix this though.

Stereo sound is important to me, that is why (even though stereo sounds great to me on the A52) I wanted to check some other alternatives

I consider my Quad 21L's fine speakers but they only cost £700. Is spending £1400 on a poweramp overkill for this system?

thanks for your time.

CaM

Comment

• aphexist
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by cameronl
              I consider my Quad 21L's fine speakers but they only cost £700. Is spending £1400 on a poweramp overkill for this system?
              Not necessarily. A good power amp such as the A21 will stay with you throughout system upgrades. New processors and surround tech are introduced all the time, speakers are revised, and higher resolution media is introduced, but power amps stay the same. (Cue digital amp fanatics...)

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Aha! In your case, Cameron, YES, I would recommend that you pick up an A23 to complete your Halo-powered 7 channel system with the A52. I always keep in mind that even though a new piece of equipment may be overkill for the equipment that I currently have, I may be buying other new equipment in the future. And if we only buy new equipment that matches our current level of performance, our setup will never get any better! No point in that!

Only you can decide if the price is worth replacing your current Arcam with the A23. (but I would!)
                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                - Pleasantville

Comment

• cameronl
                  • Jul 2004

hi there, i'm defiently replacing my arcam for poweramp duties. I guess i was trying to decide whether i'd be better of with an A23 (to keep the set even) or an A21. I think i'll go for the A23 and save some money

thanks for your time all.

CaM

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Ahhh, I see. Well, yes, the A23 would match. HOWEVER, since mains are so important, I'd highly consider the A21. Like I said, it pays to buy for the future, not buy for today.
                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• nicholtl
                      • Aug 2003

Well Said.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"