X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • awtryau89
    • Dec 2002

Which Halo Amp Combo?

Okay I have a quick turn around here (tomorrow) so I may not get all the responses I need to help me, but here goes. I will be purchasing new pair of Halo amps and I am trying to decide which ones. I run NHT VR-3 mains crossed at 80hz with a VC-3 Center crossed at 80hz. The sides and rears are NHT VS-2.4s all crossed at 80 hz. All the speakers are rated at 87db efficiency and the fronts are at 6ohms and rears at 8ohms. All NHT speakers seem to love power but remember all these are crossed at 80hz so I have to decide if I will really hear a difference in the higher power from the bigger Halo amps. I originally decided because of financing I would just go with the A23/A52 combo. Now I am thinking I will stretch and get one bigger amp. I cannot decide which combo would work the best. I know alot of Rotel owners have this same sort of problem. Do I go with the big 5-channel and small 2 channel? This way I would run my L,C,R,RS,LS of the A51 and then use an A23 for RB and LB. Or should I go with the big 2 channel and small 5 channel? Of course I would run L and R off the A21 and the run C, RS,RB,LS,LB off the A52. Actually the second combo would save me a good bit of money but I am afraid I am short changing my center channel by giving it only 125 watts. I am not really concerned with the rears as they will be fine. I do still really care about 2 channel music but listen to alot of hirez as well. Movies are probably75% of what I will be doing though as this is for a dedicated theater. Thanks for any and all responses and I am looking for anyone that may have tried these amps together and really noticed a difference or just couldn't tell a difference.
    Eric Awtry
    War Eagle
  • mikepinkerton
    • Jun 2004

Take this with a shaker of salt, as I don't (yet) own either of these amps, *but* I would think that you should probably keep your LCR all powered the same. Especially since your focus is HT (you say 75%), you want the center to have as much power as the L/R as that's where the bulk of the movie lies.

I'd say go with the A51 and let the back surround channels have the "paltry" 125W A23. That's more than enough for rear channel effects. When you want 5-channel music, use your other surrounds as they'll be fully powered.

Hope that helps
    -Mike

Comment

• cameronl
      • Jul 2004

i would do this....

hi there, I have the A52 and am wondering the same thing. For me, I was thinking of the following

A21 = L & R
      A23 bridge = Center

CaM

Comment

• awtryau89
        • Dec 2002

Hi guys. I finally decided on the A51 and A23 combo. It was a tough choice but I just wanted the front soundstage to have all the same power. They should be here on Monday. I can't wait.
        Eric Awtry
        War Eagle

Comment

• mikepinkerton
          • Jun 2004

Can't wait for you to post your impressions. I'm pining after an A51 myself and just trying to get over that last hurdle to order it.

Seems odd that Parasound amps aren't very highly discussed on the major forums. The C2 gets a lot of talk, but the amps are almost never mentioned. Makes one wonder just a little

-Mike

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"