X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jonia
    • Apr 2005

Multichannel sound calibration

Hello!

I need help from someone who really know how to set up a multichannel system...

I have used a sound pressure meter to adjust the soundpressure from all my speakers based on the noise generation in both my dvd player (when using 7.1 channel) and the noise generation in my receiver (when using digital coaxial output). It seemed to be perfect.... but when I placed the Blue Man Group dvd audio in my player, the bass was just too much!! It sounded a little distorted.

So I checked my settings again, but it seemed to be correct.
    Then I decided to use the DVE (Digital Video Essential) to calibrate (I have read something about dvd players and receivers that doesn't have correct noise generationg built in), so I thought I could try with DVE.

Now, this was something else....
    I turned up the volume on my receiver to 0 dB, and I got these results:
    Front: 78 dB
    Center: 78 dB
    Back: 72 dB
    Subwoofer: 86 dB

So, how can this be? I tried to use the built in noise generation again to check... but still everything looked perfect here....

So, what is correct then? Is both the noise generations in my DVD player and receiver faulty? Or is it something wrong with DVE?

I calibrated my home theater with DVE so that every loudspeaker showed 75 dB on the meter, inclusive the subwoofer.

Now, I personally think that the bass is too weak.... but now it should be set up correct. I used the noise generation in my receiver to check, and it shows that my subwoofer is 10 dB too low....

I don't get it...

Now the Blue Man Group dvd audio sounds very good, although a little bass weak, it is much better, but other dvd's sound a lot more weak...

I just don't get it at all... Can someone give me a hint?

By the way, I used the LIMITED BANDWIDTH when doing these calibrations with DVE... the other option (full bandwidth) gives a lot more weird results (seems to be sound comming from more than the speaker that I am calibrating...?)

HELP!!!!

Best regards;

Jon-Ivar
    Norway

P.S: My equipment: Audio Pro loudspeakers, Audio Pro Bravo Subwoofer, Denon dvd2200 dvd player, Marantz sr7400 receiver, Parasound A21 amplifier used on my front speakers.
  • Lefteris
    • Feb 2005

Hello!

Even though I'm not that experienced, I'd try the DVE calibration and turning up the bass a bit (the sub, and maybe the equalizer through the reciever). Actualy, if I were you, I wouldn't pay SO much attention to numbers. I have found that totally flat responce from a system isn't actally something ideal, because it lacks "personality". I know that this is peculiar, but the fact that the dBs from the sub were equal or more, and you find that it is lacking bass aren't mandatorily contradictory statements. It all comes down to liking what you hear. And don't pay too much respect on music and cinema recordings, I scarcly find soundtracks and/or recordings that are flat and equalized. Than again, I'm no expert....

Good luck with your system, and by the way, how does the A21 sound?

Cheers
    Miles Smiles

Comment

• jonia
      • Apr 2005

Thank you for your reply.

I will probably turn the subvolume a little bit up, but I have found out after some listening on dvd-audio's that it actually sounds very good this way. So maybe a 2-3 dB gain in the subwoofer output would make the bass the way I prefer. I will try it out, and I agree with you that it is not necessarily a flat response that sounds best.

And with regards to your question, the A21 sounds very good in my opinion. I simply love both the sound and the design of the amplifier. It sounds detailed and refined, but it still has punch and power. It has very good control on my loudspeakers and this makes allmost any music sound more relaxing. If I should characterize the sound, I guess it may lean a little to the warm side, but it is hard to tell.

Best regards;

Jon

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Hi, Jon, and welcome to Club Parasound and the Guide! :banana: All that I'll share in addition is that I've experienced some difficultly with newer Denon DVD players and bass management.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• jonia
          • Apr 2005

Yes, that is very interesting.. I have a feeling that there is something wrong with the bass management on my Denon dvd player...

Sometimes when I play sacd, the bass from the subwoofer is almost non-existing.... and another day, the bass is suddenly there (from the same sacd!!) Howcome this happens, I don't know... Just is like this, and it seems the volume is not stable... One day I get too much bass, and have to adjust down. Another day, the bass is considerably lower, and I have to turn it up!

Odd.... have you experienced anything similar?

Best regards;

Jon

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Well, I recently got the Denon 3910, and have had some trouble setting up bass management. It doesn't seem to be temperamental like you're having with your 2200. But out of the box, there was NO bass output over the analog 5.1 jacks. I had to change some settings and boost the bass output to the max from the 3910. It's still a bit off, but I might be able to dial it in.

I'm having some other problems with the 3910, though, that we've found to be common in the 3910 production in the last 9 months, so it might be returned very shortly. Thankfully, I got it from Jim at NextLevel AV, one of the Guide sponsors, and he's being absolutely awesome helping me deal with the problems.
            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• bhuskins
              • Aug 2003

Chris, if you want DVD/CD only you might consider the Cary Audio DVD 6. One of the best sounding players around. CD playback blows away the Denon. No Joke. This is my new favorite player.

Cary Audio DVD 6 $2,000 MSRP

Brent Huskins
              Media Design
              HTGuide Sponsor

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

No kidding, Brent? That's cool. Unfortunately, I can't justify to myself much over $1,000 right now, as any player I get is pretty much going to be a stopgap until high-def DVD comes around.

The wild card in any DVD player planning right now is the Halo player. We've been talking about it for 3 years now, as if it could come out at any time. With pretty much every DVD player planned for this year running into major delays, high-def or standard def, I've got to wonder if a Halo player will really be released June/July. It's a real tough road--I know just as soon as I do get settled with a great player, Parasound will release a Halo player. Who knows, a Halo player could have specs, capabilities, or a price that makes it not the right solution for any one of us. It's so tough to tell without having the full info to plan on.
                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• jonia
                  • Apr 2005

I wait for the Halo player too... If it's going to be able to play both dvd audio, sacd and is region free (or easy to make region free), that must be the perfect player for me..!

I simply love the design on these units, sadly Parasound is expencive in Norway where I live, so I guess I'll have to try to import it.

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Well, since it's made there in the Scandanavia countries, just swing by the factories and hijack a unit or two! (just kidding for any lawyers that lurk here)
                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• jonia
                      • Apr 2005

Is Parasound produced in a scandinavian country? I thougth maybe it could be in Finland? I seriously doubt they are produced in Norway, if that was the case it should be a lot cheaper here, and not twice the price in the US!

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2004

Parasound is a US brand. Only the C1 and C2 controllers are labelled "Made in Finland".

Personally I question whether the units actually are produced in Finland. I think it's just the design and software that is made there, and since it's essentially a computer where the largest part of the cost is spent on the design/software it can legally be branded "Made in Finland". Like the amps, the production probably takes place in Taiwan, and after that I'm sure the units go straight to Parasound's warehouse in San Francisco .

I haven't said this before, but KUDOS to Parasound for having the horrible statement "Made in Taiwan" on a tiny golden sticker that easily can be peeled off :T Peeling that sticker is part of unpacking a new Parasound amp! :B

:^x

Peter

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

Heeheheeee... good one, Peter. :T
                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"