Lip-Sync. Neat new feature...pretty much useless?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chetk
    • May 2004

Lip-Sync. Neat new feature...pretty much useless?

Hey Gang,

I have to say that I was excited when I heard that Lip-Sync was going to be a new feature within the new software. See, I've always had this issue where the audio is several milli-seconds after the video.

However, the new lip-sync feature doesn't exactly work that way. It seems to me that this feature only delays the audio further when activated. So, instead of fixing my problem, it only makes it worse.

What do you think?
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

I think the idea behind the audio delay ("lip sync") feature is to compensate for the video delay created by the scalers used in digital plasmas and projectors.

If you're seeing audio lagging behind video, you have a different issue.

Comment

• bhuskins
      • Aug 2003

You need a new player Chet! You should never have audio lagging behind video. I've seen bad DVD players do this though.

Brent Huskins
      Media Design

Comment

• Chetk
        • May 2004

But it's not just the DVD player. It's OTA HDTV and Satellite too.

Comment

• Kevin P
          • Aug 2000

What equipment do you have Chet? And how is it connected together? Maybe there's something that can be tweaked to correct your issue.

Comment

• Kingdaddy
            • Jan 2004

Yea, my Dish HD box will do that sometimes (only on the OAT channels), I just unplug it for a few seconds and re-boot and it synchs up again.
            My Center Channel Project

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Weird. Never seen that myself.
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• billz260
                • Dec 2004

My OTA set does that as well but it's NOT across the board. I can switch to the HD OTA box and some shows are perfectly sync'd, but change the channel to something else and it may or may not be off. I havn't noticed or not if it's the same shows every week or just that particular broadcast, but I have noticed that if the quality of the picture is great, it usually doesn't lag behind, and when is ok to fair, it usually will.

Could be the weather, particular signal quality that day, or the quality of the recording? I don't know, just my thoughts and observations.

Comment

• purplepeople
                  • Aug 2004

I've seen (or is it heard) audio lag and compensated by programming the speaker distance as greater than it actually is - in my case, 4 feet. I wasn't sure it would work, but it seems to prove that the audio is being sent the extra bit of time earlier (or the video is being delayed). It is best to test with a scene that simulates a clapper... like the closing of a door or an actual clapper scene. It also seems to vary slightly depending on the title, as if the mastering engineers have no idea there could be a problem. As a result, I've played with it quite a bit and settled on this distance as the best average.

ensen.
                  Those who claim to be making history are often the same ones repeating it...

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

The only time I've seen lip sync issues in my house has been when a particular channel had errors in broadcasting. It was quite annoying. I can't remember whether the audio or video was delayed.
                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• misterdoggy
                      Super Senior Member
                      • May 2005

Lipsync questions answered in this thread

This might answer my question. I was having issues with Satellite lipsync, but a lot of what you guys talked about seems relevant ie: different channels affect the delay and sometimes there is no delay. I changed the speaker distance to 1/2 and will see if that might not correct something. I was at 11ft and not am at 5 ft. It was only with satellite and not dvd. I prefer not fooling with the upgrade if I don't have to. I'm in France and there's no help here.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"