X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hoffa
    • Nov 2004

Hum/feedback on my A52

Hello all! I just got an A52 off audiogon. Anyways, not matter what I can't seem to get rid of the hum/buzz feedback. I have tried almost everything that has been recommended here.

1. Disconnect EVERYTHING.... amp plugged into wall, everything (that i know) off on the circuit, just speakers connected to amp. Hum exists with ground lifted and normal. (Disconnecting everything includes cable tv from wall).

2. I had a cheater plug type extension cord (removes ground pin). It is still there, although I think slightly less? But still audible when close and thus unacceptable compared to my OLD Yamaha bottom of the line receiver which had nothing.

Any other ideas? I hope it’s not defective
  • SpOoNmAn
    • Sep 2003

not to get off topic, but didnt you buy the A52 that said NEW in the listing?

I bet you didnt read what I had typed in my listing that was up b4 that one, and is still up.

I'd rather buy a slightly used amp anyday over a New one that still has the plastic around it and hasnt been turned on. Why? because if theres a problem with a poweramp, it usually shows itself early on. With buying a slightly used one, you are getting an item you Know works and has been tested. Sorry to get off topic. Just burns me up to see people fall for the NEW with poweramps. Sure mines the same price, but Im throwing in shipping and its been tested.

BACK ON TOPIC...

the Halos supposedly pick up more hums than others, but for myself, having the A52(boxed up), and now the A51, Im running dead silent. Your amp is probably fine.

And you really cant compare the receiver to the amp. For one thing, the tranformer in the amp, which could be a part of the hum, weighs more than your entire receiver did.

Thats the chance you take when getting any amp. It could cause a hum in one persons system, and not in the next.

I got an email from one interested buyer(he must not have liked my answer, he never got back to me)..he asked if it had hum/buzz problems...
    so in every forum/audiogon/ebay, I added...

I have gotten an email asking if this amp caused a Hum in my system. As far as I know, it's usually something else that brings a Ground Loop into ones system, be it faulty wiring, cable/satellite, whatever. If you had an amp that hummed, this one might too. The house I'm renting was built in 1947, old wiring, and I still get no Hum at all. I used a Rotel b4 this and even with their supposed weaker grounding scheme, I had no evidence of a ground Loop. So Please, if you have Loop problems already, maybe you should look elsewhere. OR, try and solve the problem. I did toggle the Lift switch when I first got it, and it did nothing. I don't want the buyer to email me a few days later whining he has a ground loop problem. I don't need the headaches from that.

Theatre Photo Album (A work in Progress)
    GameTracker -My List-
    Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Comment

• Hoffa
      • Nov 2004

Hey Spoonman, i was debugging the problem today and even took it in to my dealer. He said that there was a problem as some channels were better then others and we tried it on a power conditioner. I think that might be the same ad you are refering too.. it never said it was unopened, in fact it was opened, he just never had a chance to use it. Here in lies the problem. Oh well, he seems like a good guy, ill have a talk with him about it. I saw your add, btw, on ebay. It said no shipping outside the US, and as I am from Canada, I figured it wasnt going to happen. Thanks for the info though.

Comment

• SpOoNmAn
        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Hoffa
        Hey Spoonman, i was debugging the problem today and even took it in to my dealer. He said that there was a problem as some channels were better then others and we tried it on a power conditioner. I think that might be the same ad you are refering too.. it never said it was unopened, in fact it was opened, he just never had a chance to use it. Here in lies the problem. Oh well, he seems like a good guy, ill have a talk with him about it. I saw your add, btw, on ebay. It said no shipping outside the US, and as I am from Canada, I figured it wasnt going to happen. Thanks for the info though.
        gotcha

Well, if it wasnt used, the seller couldnt be aware of an underlying problem, thats my point.

Ill change my listing to canada as well. I didnt even notice that. Good luck with the amp my friend

Theatre Photo Album (A work in Progress)
        GameTracker -My List-
        Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"