What features would you like added to the SSP-800?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

What features would you like added to the SSP-800?

I'll start by saying that this thread is by my own doing, and not at the request of Classe. They do read these threads but don't expect them to participate.

Now that the SSP-800 is out, what features/ capability would you like to see added?

I think its a moot point to mention the DSP board, as we know they are already working on it and it comes out when they are ready for it. This is a place where we can give feedback to Classe and maybe they will add it.

I'll keep this post updated so people can easily see what everyone is requesting.

Feature Requests:

EQ
    • Automated EQ. Audyssey? Trinnov? Automate the existing PEQ? There is no perfect solution for everybody and technology is always changing, but I think Classe should at least offer a way for the existing PEQ to be automated. It only stands to benefit everybody. Perhaps 3rd party products can be offered a-la-carte as extra purchases.
    • License a 3rd party software, such as XTZ, and build an interface that allows you to hook your computer up to the SSP-800 via USB and apply recommendations from the Analyzing software directly to the onboard EQ.
    • interface change from "Band 1, 2, 3, etc." to displaying the frequency chosen once it has been set. Make an easy way to reference the filters that have been set. Right now you have to hunt around. Did I put that 30Hz filter on Band 2 or Band 3?
    • Allow for return to factory setting for the EQ only settings
    • If Classe implements an AutoEQ, it needs to have the ability to override the decisions of the computer manually.

Features(I put both because I don't know which is better but I want the power to decide for myself)
    • Dolby Headphone (5.1 virtualizer). current TagMcLaren has it, But the Tag has no HDMI inputs--so no go for hi rez 5.1 sources. Even if the SSP-800 has no headphone jack (neither does Tag), it could use the Aux outputs for headphones when switched to non-speaker mode The MDS DAE-6D already has the code built in, so it would be easy to implement.
      * allow the PEQ to operate with its own memory so the user can tweak the headphone EQ without disturbing the speaker EQ.

Configuration
    • Allow copy of one cofiguration to another.
    • an option to switch on/off the display manually. I deactivated all events for display and set a timeout, but there are still moments the display automatically turns on.
    • a way to choose between a linear increase/decrease of volume via the remote or the smart increase/decrease

Remote Control
    • skip configurations that are not in use when selecting a pre configuration
    • display the name of the configuration while in the configuration setup (as is in input setup)
    • sub(s) on/off for fkey assignment
    • e-bass on/off for fkey assignment

Hardware
    • include a boffo headphone driver circuit and dedicated jack.
    Last edited by sikoniko; 05 December 2008, 09:27 Friday.
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...
  • SRT-10 Viper
    • Mar 2005

Allow for return to factory setting for the EQ only settings. Also, not sure if this is doable with the current ( I haven't figured out how). Allow copy of one cofiguration to another.

Comment

• sikoniko
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by SRT-10 Viper
      Also, not sure if this is doable with the current ( I haven't figured out how). Allow copy of one cofiguration to another.
      I completely agree with that.

I asked Dave in the past about making the scroll menus scrollable. He said they tried it and was not able to get it to work.

Comment

• sikoniko
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

I hope every joins in with this. And if there is something up there that does not belong, please everybody speak up. If you agree with what is there, let Classe know you agree as well. If I'm the only one saying to do it, you really think it will get added?

Comment

• ryst
          • May 2007

Connect a external HDD to USB and stream .flac

Comment

• garak
            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by SRT-10 Viper
            Allow copy of one cofiguration to another.
            I certainly would like this feature.

Also, allow an option to choose if we want to see the "source" menu in the OSD (menu displayed on TV).

Comment

• sikoniko
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by ryst
              Connect a external HDD to USB and stream .flac
              Worthy of discussion but the problem I see with this is that there would need to be some sort of interface to define the path and control the music that doesn't exist in the SSP, but does exist in their current CDP/CDT's to a degree. Perhaps a better recommendation for Classe's next gen player?

Comment

• Srrndhound
                • Sep 2008

Thanks for starting this thread.

1) I'd like to have Dolby Headphone (5.1 virtualizer). My current TagMcLaren has it, and I use it every day when others are in the room so as not to disturb. But the Tag has no HDMI inputs--so no go for hi rez 5.1 sources. Even if the SSP-800 has no headphone jack (neither does Tag), it could use the Aux outputs for headphones when switched to non-speaker mode--this works fine for me. The MDS DAE-6D already has the code built in, so it would be easy to implement.

2) In addition, the unit should allow the PEQ to operate with its own memory so the user can tweak the headphone EQ without disturbing the speaker EQ.

3) Lastly, I use an external tube headphone amp, so taking this wishlist one step further would be for the SSP-800 to include a boffo headphone driver circuit and dedicated jack. That might be difficult due to the hardware change, though.

Comment

• wettou
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • May 2006

Great idea, in order of priority for me:

Software upgrades:
                  1. Support new codecs yes I know Classé is working on it?
                  2. Automated EQ. Audyssey XQT Pro
                  3. Dolby Volume or THX Loudness Plus is suppose to be equivalent
                  4. Supports DSD for SACD multichannel over HDMi
                  5. PEQ to operate with its own memory so the user can tweak the headphone EQ without disturbing the speaker EQ.

Hardware upgrades:
                  1. Headphone port in the front and Dolby Headphone (5.1 virtualizer)
                  2. USB port for plugging in a hard drive with multimedia, audio, video, photos... See Marantz pre/pro 8300

It is unlikely that any of these will ever see the light or may be as the SSP-850!! for $12K
                  Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• sikoniko
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by wettou
                    [b][color=Blue]
                    2. Automated EQ. Audyssey XQT Pro
                    Why Audyssey over Trinnov?

Comment

• wettou
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by sikoniko
                      Why Audyssey over Trinnov?
                      Audyssey Multi EQ Pro is quite good, Never heard of Tinnov.

Neptune is a good one too.
                      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• taker
                        • Aug 2005

I'll be building a new house in August 09 , I would like Dolby Volume if possible.. :P

Comment

• AV-OCD
                          • Aug 2008

I'd like an automated EQ as an option, but it needs to have the ability to set manually as well. I want the choice to override the decisions of the computer.

With the current EQ, it would be nice if the interface would change from "Band 1, 2, 3, etc." to displaying the frequency chosen once it has been set. I need an easy way to reference the filters I've set. Right now I have to hunt around. Did I put that 30Hz filter on Band 2 or Band 3? If you get what I mean.

Comment

• wettou
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • May 2006

Now all we need is Classé to take these suggestions and incorporate them :T or tell us why not :cry:

Comment

• SwainDtV
                              • Sep 2008

A couple of minor requests:

- an option to switch on/off the display manually. I deactivated all events for display and set a timeout, but there are still moments the display automatically turns on.
                              - a linear increase/decrease of volume via the remote instead of smart increase/decrease
                              - skip configurations that are not in use when selecting a pre configuration on the remote
                              - display the name of the configuration while in the configuration setup (as is in input setup)
                              - sub(s) on/off for fkey assignment
                              - e-bass on/off for fkey assignment
                              - copy configuration

Ab

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by SwainDtV
                                A couple of minor requests:

- a linear increase/decrease of volume via the remote instead of smart increase/decrease
                                - skip configurations that are not in use when selecting a pre configuration on the remote

Ab
                                Yes, yes, yes. I hate that damn smart volume. It always jacks up my volume to earbleed levels right when I'm about to let off the increase. Blargh!

Comment

• SwainDtV
                                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by AV-OCD
                                  Yes, yes, yes. I hate that damn smart volume. It always jacks up my volume to earbleed levels right when I'm about to let off the increase. Blargh!
                                  That's why I have setup a max volume level of 80 dB to protect my ears. Because once the volume is up to earbleed levels, the decrease starts "smart" too first slow and than fast. At that moment should be the other way around.

Ab

Comment

• sikoniko
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by SwainDtV
                                    That's why I have setup a max volume level of 80 dB to protect my ears. Because once the volume is up to earbleed levels, the decrease starts "smart" too first slow and than fast. At that moment should be the other way around.

Ab
                                    I put it up there that it should be toggle-able, as some people probably like it. I'm indifferent. Only on occasion does it jump 10+ on me, but I also use a max-volume.

did you guys notice this that I added?
                                    •License a 3rd party software, such as XTZ, and build an interface that allows you to hook your computer up to the SSP-800 via USB and apply recommendations from the Analyzing software directly to the onboard EQ.
                                    When I met Dave in June, I asked them why they didnt include an auto-calibration like the SSP-600/300. He said that with those models, the DSP came with the capability and so they just threw it in. With the current DSP's, it wasn't there, so they'd have to write it and they opted not to for priority sake.

I'm guessing that there are multiple factors that went into the lack of an auto-eq, but It might be safe to assume the fact that they'd have to write it if they didn't go with Audyssey is probably one of them. If that is the case, if they could use one that is already written and create an interface, which would potentially be substantially cheaper and less complex, that allows it to communicate with the SSP-800's PEQ, then that might be a good solution.

I know REQ interfaces with the Behringer, so there is already the potential for an interface there. I said XTZ because it seems to be a more complete solution to me. I don't have to figure out what parts to get to make it work. I just buy their kit and I have everything I need. They could then license the software and put a mark-up on it to cover the cost of their interface.

What do you guys think?

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                      • Sep 2008

I'd like to see the SSP-800, and indeed other processors, adopt a standardized way to insert external DSP processing into the chain. Remember tape loops? A unity-gain send/return loop just prior to the master volume. We need a digital version of that, capable of 192 kHz/24 bits in at least 8 channels. I'm just talking audio since it needs to come back into the processor for bass management, gain trims, and volume. Then Behringer (or anyone else) could make their outboard EQ to plug in directly, no need for extra A-D and D-A. Saves cost, improves performance, opens new options for system design.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Srrndhound
                                        I'd like to see the SSP-800, and indeed other processors, adopt a standardized way to insert external DSP processing into the chain. Remember tape loops? A unity-gain send/return loop just prior to the master volume. We need a digital version of that, capable of 192 kHz/24 bits in at least 8 channels. I'm just talking audio since it needs to come back into the processor for bass management, gain trims, and volume. Then Behringer (or anyone else) could make their outboard EQ to plug in directly, no need for extra A-D and D-A. Saves cost, improves performance, opens new options for system design.
                                        HDMI with MPCM ?
                                        :E
                                        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• sikoniko
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Aug 2003

is that similar to an effects loop found in a guitar amplifier?

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Mar 2006

is that similar to an effects loop found in a guitar amplifier?
                                            Yeah. Except that it must be multichannel and digital.

Kal
                                            Kal Rubinson

Comment

• sikoniko
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                                              Yeah. Except that it must be multichannel and digital.

Kal
                                              Would this be considered a hardware upgrade for the most part? I'll put it up there, but I just want to know where it makes sense.

if I relate it to an effects loop, its one of those things that ultimately is YMMV. some people like it, some people don't.

I'm guessing this is a way for someone to use the external advanced audyssey type device but apply it directly to the dsp? ultimately a no-compromise type solution for people that want the advanced features of the audyssey piece, but don't want to compromise by not applying it at the DSP level. or at least before it touches the output stages of the SSP. Is that correct?

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Mar 2006

Would this be considered a hardware upgrade for the most part? I'll put it up there, but I just want to know where it makes sense.

if I relate it to an effects loop, its one of those things that ultimately is YMMV. some people like it, some people don't.

I'm guessing this is a way for someone to use the external advanced audyssey type device but apply it directly to the dsp? ultimately a no-compromise type solution for people that want the advanced features of the audyssey piece, but don't want to compromise by not applying it at the DSP level. or at least before it touches the output stages of the SSP. Is that correct?
                                                I do not see it as a reasonable request because there would have to be one or more compatible devices to use with such a loop-back. If there was an Audyssey SEQ with similar HDMI in/out, that would work. At the moment, however, there are none (that I know of) nor any on the drawing board (that I know of).

It's a neat idea, though.
                                                Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                                  • Sep 2008

HDMI with MPCM ?
                                                  I'm not particular about the hardware details. An ad hoc standards group might need to be assembled to hammer out all the details and make a proposal to the industry. Maybe HDMI would be preferred in order to enforce encryption control.

I do not see it as a reasonable request because there would have to be one or more compatible devices to use with such a loop-back. If there was an Audyssey SEQ with similar HDMI in/out, that would work. At the moment, however, there are none (that I know of) nor any on the drawing board (that I know of).

It's a neat idea, though.
                                                  Definitely a "chicken and egg" situation, as was the use of S/PDIF to carry AC-3 data back in the day. It's very doable. My purpose in planting this seed here was to see if anyone else felt it would be useful. Just think, being able to add anyone's EQ system to a processor (or AVR), not being stuck with the one that shipped inside the box. And when it comes to audio post-processing, there's no need to confine the discussion to EQ. Dynamic volume, surround decoding, it's quite liberating.

I'm rather surprised this hasn't already evolved. But there's still time. :T

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Mar 2006

My purpose in planting this seed here was to see if anyone else felt it would be useful. Just think, being able to add anyone's EQ system to a processor (or AVR), not being stuck with the one that shipped inside the box. And when it comes to audio post-processing, there's no need to confine the discussion to EQ. Dynamic volume, surround decoding, it's quite liberating.

I'm rather surprised this hasn't already evolved. But there's still time. :T
                                                    Some of us (you, too, I guess) have been discussing this for quite a while. Unfortunately, although it is clearly doable, there is no great motivation to do it yet. Most mainstream manufacturers, even/especially at the high end, like to keep buyers "in the family" by including necessary features. As for the manufacturers of the add-ons, they have no leverage to get it started.

Kal
                                                    Kal Rubinson
                                                    _______________________________
                                                    "Music in the Round"
                                                    Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
                                                    http://forum.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Comment

Working...
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"