X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mitchell
    • Sep 2004

Reducing sound to neighbors

I have a pair of 703's that are about 3 weeks old and are really breaking in beautifully. Now that the bass has really developed the neighbors particularly below me ( I live in an apt building in NYC) have started complaining. Any suggestions on reducing sound that goes through floors?
    Mitchell
  • Lewing
    • Oct 2004

Hi, you might want to look at Auralex Gramma Isolation Riser. I read that there are people using that for their subwoofer. May be you can use that for your 703 too...
    Live to Eat, Live to enjoy Music :T

http://community.webshots.com/user/lewing79

Comment

• sugarmedia
      • Feb 2005

Cork is the only way to reduce noice through your floor, effectivel abd cheaply.

Comment

• sugarmedia
        • Feb 2005

Cork is the only way to reduce noice through your floor, effectively and cheaply.

Comment

• Mitchell
          • Sep 2004

I got a pair of sound anchors which isolate the speaker from the floor. Sound Anchor claims up to 20db reduction in sound due to resonant vibration. I cant be sure if the neighbors hear less noise but I haven't gotten any complaints in a while. I do notice a big difference in the articulation of the the sound, especially the bass. Very defined. Hopefully the neighbors wont be hearing it but if they do, at least Ive improved the sound for them!
          Mitchell

Comment

• BlazeMaster
            • May 2004

I have the Auralex GRAMMA isolation pads for my SVS PB12plus/2. I don't have any immediate neighbors due to the corner placement of my apartment. The closest neighbor is 2 floors above me, I do blast my system all the time and never had any complaints because they just don't hear much of my system. One thing I've noticed after I got the isolation pads is that they helped reduced the vibrations alot. Instead of hearing the bass shake the walls when it kicks, I hear more of the bass notes. Since you're more concerned about isolating floortanding speakers, I think your best route is picking up a Sound Anchor Tower stand, they're aren't cheap, but I can vouch for the build quality and sonic improvements.

Comment

• sugarmedia
              • Feb 2005

sound anchors

Micthell,

I curious to know more about your sound anchors. Are they just metal plates raising the speaker from the floor?

Sounds as if I can save a few dollars and find or make something simiiar, yeah?
              Last edited by sugarmedia; 06 February 2005, 06:07 Sunday. Reason: .

Comment

• Mitchell
                • Sep 2004

They are steel stands that are designed to fit the 703's specifically. It is a metal fram that cradles the speaker. The speaker sits on small pads inside the metel frame and the stand has spikes which are laid on top of cones that sit between the spikes and the floor for further isolation. I have had 3 or 4 long conversations with Sound Anchors owner (unfortunately I have forgotten his name) about several hifi subjects and find him incredibly knowledgeable. He can explain exactly why each material is chosen to further isolate the speaker from the floor and stop resonant vibrations which is often how sound is transmitted through floors.
                As I said above the increase in the bass articulation is significant. I cannot be sure about sound reduction but I have had no complaints yet. Within our apartment which is large, the bass does not seem to travel through the walls as much and that makes my wife happy.
                Hope this is helpful
                Mitchell

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"