X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Quwiksilver
    • Apr 2007

Angry Neighbors

Hi guru's,

The next door neighbors are starting to get upset. They're really nice people, and they've been very tolerant, but due to the way our houses are constructed and set up we have a truly nasty "noise pollution" problem. Here's the deal:

I've got Zaph's L18 system in the living room. The living room is directly adjacent to their bedroom next door. Here's the kicker: both of our houses are made entirely of steel (more reading on the houses here). Even at a relatively low SPL, they can hear the music, or at least the bass line, throughout their entire house.

The question is this: Apart from tearing out the walls and insulating (not possible; I rent) what can I do to reduce the noise radiating through the walls?

Thanks,
    Scott
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

They have an insulation system that you can drill a small hole a put a hose in and fill it. Other then that I'm guessing a lot of bass bins otherwise and even so that may not help much.

Comment

• Jonasz
      • Nov 2004

Do you have dampingfeet under your speakers? Could be a good start to test that.

Comment

• RV8guy
        • Sep 2007

I saw this stuff on TV http://www.quietsolution.com/html/qu...FTyKOAodWm4FBA

edit: D'oh, I just saw that you rent. It still might work for you and nobody would ever know that room was just a little bit smaller than it used to be.

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Other than building a concrete wall between the buildings there's not much to do except turn down the volume.

This is one reason headphones and tactical transducers exist.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• technimac
            • Feb 2005

How About Some Bass Shakers?

:agree: with Thomas about Tactile Transducers

Mounting a passel of Bass Shakers under your couch/loveseat/favorite chair etc will go a long way in helping you to experience some of the LFE you are actually "not" hearing. And more importantly, neither are your neighbors. :W

(edit: I just checked PE's site and this is listed as, "In Stock? No, awaiting updated due date".......which often means that there are no more. You can always call to find out the status)

Sure it's not the same as high volume, chest-whumping 18Hz stuff filling the room, but in your situation the options are very limited. :cry:

Choose an amp that's suitable to power the number of Bass Shakers you install and you're good to go :T
            "While we're at it" - the four most dangerous words in Home Improvement

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by technimac
              :agree: with Thomas about Tactile Transducers
              I used 'tactical' as a bit of a joke. Guess I'll start labeling my jokes...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• technimac
                • Feb 2005

Ahhh......a secretly-encoded curmudgeon joke I'll bet.

I feel a little embarrassed that I didn't even pick up on that. ops:

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

The 'tactical-transducer' provides added low frequency response and eliminates neighbors lacking a sense of humor.... :B

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• JonMarsh
                    Mad Max Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

Scrap the existing system, build a dipole system, and set it up so that the side null points towards your neighbor.

Dipoles are probably the most PRACTICAL speaker type for those living in apartments, condos, and townhouses. That includes me....
                    the AudioWorx
                    Natalie P
                    M8ta
                    Modula Neo DCC
                    Modula MT XE
                    Modula Xtreme
                    Isiris
                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                    Minerva Monitor
                    Calliope
                    Ardent D

In Development...
                    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                    Obi-Wan
                    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                    Modula PWB
                    Calliope CC Supreme
                    Natalie P Ultra
                    Natalie P Supreme
                    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• AJINFLA
                      • Mar 2005

Build a pair of dipole subwoofers as stands for your L18's. Maybe a shallow H-baffle 6-8" deep (easy to construct) with a pair of drivers (or more, depending on budget, size limitations, etc). Cross around 150hz.

cheers,

AJ
                      Manufacturer

Comment

• rickwa7
                        • Sep 2007

To control medium and low frequency (most penetrating frequencies) you will need MASS. (weight)

Try 1" thick sheetrock or better still 3" thick. Ceilings too.

To control the very high pitch frequencies is much easier. Fiberglass batting, or 1/4" or 1" thick plastic foam insulation from HOme Depot will do it.

Comment

• technimac
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by rickwa7
                          To control medium and low frequency (most penetrating frequencies) you will need MASS. (weight)
                          Try 1" thick sheetrock or better still 3" thick 8O . Ceilings too.
                          To control the very high pitch frequencies is much easier. Fiberglass batting, or 1/4" or 1" thick plastic foam insulation from HOme Depot will do it.
                          Uhhh......He mentioned above that he's renting :W

Comment

• Quwiksilver
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                            Scrap the existing system, build a dipole system, and set it up so that the side null points towards your neighbor.

Dipoles are probably the most PRACTICAL speaker type for those living in apartments, condos, and townhouses. That includes me....
                            Now there's a solution I can live with...build more speakers! :T

Now...off to find or design a quality budget dipole (gee...never heard that one before )

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"