X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DPA
    • Nov 2003

Newbi question (1095!)

Hi everyone.

Well just got my 1098 preamp and d-mn its really nice but since I have Vincent SAV-P200 poweramp the stuff really dont match.(visually)
    The sound is really good but since missus dont think they look good together Im thinking of trading the Vincent amp in for a Rotel 1095.
    But am a bit of worried about the noice issues Ive read about here at this forum.

Whats the truth here?.. Do all of you guys that have the 1095 have noice issues with it or?

Is it with both the Euro version and US version?

Im in Sweden so its intressting to see if any Europe owners have this issue also.

Cheers
    Daniel

http://www.prisjakt.nu/galleri.php?user=Demon
    Demon Dungeon
  • cofn
    • Dec 2002

I have had the 1095 for over a year now and not hear a peep from it.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2003

Daniel,

This is a good question and there are some really informative posts in this forum you should look at (try a search on 1095 and hum in this forum for the last year!)

However, In my view (having been through the pain of learning). What you need to know is:
      • The RMB 1095 is a great sounding amplifier that you won’t regret buying.
      • The RMB 1095, like the RB 1090 and RB 1080 has balanced inputs as well as the normal RCA inputs.
      • Balanced inputs "require" a real ground, so the 1095 uses a 3 pin plug (as do lots of other professional grade amplifiers.
      • The ground on this 3 pin plug provides a perfect place for any earth loop or leakage in your house (and you may have several) to go through.
      • This will cause a hum or a buzz (fixed low volume) from the amplifier through the speakers.
      • This is a very common problem with home theater / stereo equipment that has a 3 pin plug.
      • In most cases normal ground loop isolation measures will get rid of the hum (e.g. line isolation transformers on any aerial inputs connected to your HT gear).
      • However in some cases even these measures don't work as there can be annoying minor ground hums that just won't go away normally.
      • In this last case there is a commonly used solution which is to use a "cheater" plug which is a 3 to 2 pin adaptor.
      • A cheater plug should not be used until you have tested and confirmed that there is no significant ground current (an electrician can do this)
      • You should also test is if the hum still exists with the line inputs unplugged from the 1095.
      • In these cases a cheater plug will fix the issue.
      • Most 1095 owners have no problem and won't know what we are talking about, or only had a typical ground loop problem that is easily fixed. However a few will have a ground noise problem and will need a cheater plug.
      • Having asked, you will probably be one of the majority with no issues.

Regardless, any problem you have can be overcome easily by following some common sense and the steps above (or in the threads you find with the search) and you will be quickly enjoying magnificent sound.

Geoff Costello

Comment

• Rock Dog
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2003

(preemptive-the terms "you or your's, you're" is directed at no one in particular)

It's amazing how things can get blown up. The percentage (I believe) of people with noise issues is small, compared to how many people have bought it. And this forum does not have every one who has bought a Rotel 1095 amp as a member, again another small percentage.

So you've got the small percentage of owners that come and or post here. And of those owners, a small percentage mention noise. Posts like this can blow it way out of proportion. Someone new comes along and reads that negative statement (about the "noise problems"), and the 1095 is immediately DOOMED.

I, and 2 friends have the amp. Not a blip from it. Granted I had a problem with my house's wiring that created a hum at first, but I looked into it before returning and slamming the amp. I think many people blame the amp, but don't take the time to see if there are halogen lamps, or lights with dimmers, or the microwave, or something else on the same circuit.
        All of these can introduce noise onto the line. Not too mention the other components that could be driving a buzz or humm back onto the AC line. This would indicate (not only ground) wiring problems. Are the Line and Neutral switched? What about Ground, are you sure it's done properly? When is the last time that you checked the ground connection in your home, made sure that the connection to the water pipe is clear of oxidation, or corrosion so that the Ground is a good Ground.

I'm not trying to be a jerk. It's just that this forum has a wonderful relationship with ROTEL (mostly due to those who run the forum) and I would hate to see that line of communication broken. ROTEL has been very receptive to our suggestions, and constructive criticism(s). Time and time again, they have listened, and in many cases made changes to the firmware, or next generation components. I believe that many of the features of the 1098 came about (in some small part) because of the members of this forum specifically. I don't think anyone here, wants to see that relationship damaged without real data and probable cause.

Anyway, like I said. 3 amps between my friends and I. Not one noise issue.

$0.02

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!

Comment

• Joseki
          • Sep 2003

I'll give you my firsthand experience. For those who read the last page of a book first, the story has a happy ending.

I couldn't wait. My RB 1090 and RMB 1095 were in the system along with the Anthem AVM 20. The list was checked twice - all components were connected perfectly. And then I powered it all up. The first thing that I noticed was that I had no sound from any of the channels other than R+L. I quickly figured out that you have to turn off the trigger switch on the back panel in order to have the 1095 power up. Alas, as soon as the amp came on, there was an objectionable hum from all of the speakers - including R+L. Sigh.

Reviewing what I learned here, I disconnected the coax cable from my satellite dish. Not silence but much much better. So now I knew that I had a ground loop problem. My first solution was to isolate it using a surge protector. To that end, I bought 2 panamax 5100 units. After hooking them up, I got rid of the really bad hum and was left with what I would call a 60 cycle hum that I could hear from 6' away from any speaker.

As a matter of course, I really wanted to use the 12v triggers to power up both amps. As soon as I hooked them up and programmed the anthem to use them, silence. Well, not really silence. If you put your ear up to the speaker (any speaker), you can hear what I would describe as a very faint hiss. This, as I have learned on this wonderful forum, is the noise floor of one or more of the amps. From any reasonable listening distance, it is silent.

The answer is out there if you have a noise issue. Oh, and the happy ending......this amp really makes my B&W speakers sing! Even on 2-ch CD's, the sound seems to come from nearly 3/4 up the side walls all the way back to the front channels! Now I have to listen to all of my music again to hear what it should sound like!

David

Oh yeah. In case it wasn't obvious from my notes, I owe a big 'Thank you' to the forum for all of the background knowledge that I employed to resolve these issues.

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

I'd just like to point out, that 99% of people's hum problems are self inflicted. What does that mean? It means if most people took as much time with hookup of their system as they should, there would be few problems. I know, I've experienced it here myself. There's a host of factors that can produce noise. I don't think the 1095 is to blame by iteslf in most these situations. That's not to say there's never been a bad one. We can't be that naieve. We know better.

Lex
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• jimmyp58
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2003

I admit that I have been one of the most, if not the most, vocal critics of this amp's buzzing problem. I certainly appreciate the zeal in which many have offered suggestions regarding solving this problem. Of course these folks assume and believe that the problem absolutely must be a ground loop problem. I contacted Rotel and they said the same thing. My ht guy said it as well. I was caught in the proverbial viscious cycle.

Frustrated, I solved it by buying a couple of different amps. I now have four amps connected to my RSP-1098. A Bryston 14B SST for my fronts, a Rotel RB-1050 for multi-zone, a Bryston 7B SST for my center, and an Earthquake CineNova Grande 5 for my surrounds; the Bryston 7B and CineNova are the amps replacing the RMB-1095. Hooked them up last Friday, without a cheater plug, and zero sound (other than white noise).

What frustrated me about Rotel and my dealer is that they couldn't believe that a Rotel amp could be defective. Well it is and I am now a happy listener.

I have also admitted openly that the amp produces a wonderful sound. If either Rotel or my dealer would have helped me rather than pass me around by giving me a replacement (assuming it didn't have the buzz) I would have been totally happy. In a way though I am glad this happened as I enjoy the Bryston sound more so than the Rotel and I truly enjoy the CineNova as well.

I guess the moral of the story is, make certain you address this with your dealer upfront and find out how they will service you/this amp if it has problems. If you are comfortable with their response, go for it. I'd hate to see you go through what I did though.

Last, there are probably thousands of these amps sitting in people's homes making them happy of their purchase. There is a true subset though that have the identical problem I have. I cannot begin to count the number of 1095 owners that have e-mailed me from this and two other forums about this very same problem. Some, in fact, have purchased different amps after going through exhaustive measures to get rid of the buzz and they no longer have the problem with the replacement amp. I just wish more folks on this forum, as well as Rotel, would simply admit there may be a bad batch out there rather than pontificating their knowledge about ground loop issues.

Best of luck to you. If you get a 1095 without the problem, I am confident you will enjoy the sound and be happy about your purchase.

Regards,

Jim
              jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

Jim, in fact I did admit there could be a bad one or batch if you prefer. As to what Rotel will admit to or back up, none of us here have anything to do with that of course.

It's bad you went through what you did. I know these problems can be very vixing. At least your satisfied now, even if not with the 1095.

lex
                Doug
                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• DPA
                  • Nov 2003

Ok..

Thanks for your input guys...
                  Will have to see if I can get a good deal at my local dealer.
                  Need to sell the Vincent first or mabye trade it in..

Well well thanks anyway..

Daniel

http://www.prisjakt.nu/galleri.php?user=Demon
                  Demon Dungeon

Comment

• jimmyp58
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Aug 2003

Lex:

I apologize if you felt my comment was directed at you. It wasn't intended to do so. Unfortunately there have been a few others that have droned on and on regarding this and that is what I was referring to.

I certainly do not hold anyone on this forum to what Rotel, the manufacturer, should do.

Aside from this issue, I enjoy my RSP-1098 and openly encourage others to consider this product when they are in the pre-pro market. Rotel has done a very nice job with this product. And as I stated in my response regarding the 1095, if you can get one that does not have the buzzing problem, it is a wonderful amp.

Best Regards,

Jim
                    jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Chross
                      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by jimmyp58
                      if you can get one that does not have the buzzing problem, it is a wonderful amp.
                      I've received my brandnew RSP1098 - RMB1095 last week and I've got a buzz. 8O

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Chross what gear did you have in there before? Do you have cable or satellite?

Comment

• Chross
                          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                          Chross what gear did you have in there before? Do you have cable or satellite?
                          Hello Andrew,

I've found the cause.
                          I had connected my tv-audio out at the pre-amp 1098. And that was the source.
                          Now the speakers are completely silent. :!:
                          Because it was a temporary fallback I won't connect that way. ops:

Many thanks,
                          Chross

Comment

• aud19
                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2003

Glad you found the culprit I'm sure you're not the first person to make a wiring boo-boo ops: Myself included. (He admits hesitantly...lol)

J.R.

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
                            Jason

Comment

• Azeke
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2003

I own the RSP-1098 and the Rotel 1095. I initially had noise coming from my speakers, but not the amp itself. However, when I connected the Monster HTS 3500 MKII, it was as silent as a tomb.

A couple of things that are important when connecting equipment, separate all power cords from other cables in your setup, this includes the 12 volt triggers. The other is the dreaded cable and/or satellite connections.

I believe what Jimmy experienced was perhaps a bad lot of RMB-1095's, this is just my theory however and sometimes this things happen in the manufactoring process.

In closing, I highly recommend the RMB-1095 for it's sonic qualities, she's a beautiful beast and I am still trying to tame her.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Dutch
                                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by DPA
                                Well just got my 1098 preamp and d-mn its really nice but since I have Vincent SAV-P200 poweramp the stuff really dont match.(visually)
                                The sound is really good but since missus dont think they look good together Im thinking of trading the Vincent amp in for a Rotel 1095.
                                Hi Daniel

Sorry to drag up your old thread, but I am really curious..... are the looks of the vincent the only reason you want to trade in the vincent for the rotel ?
                                Or are there other things like sound,performance etc involved.

If you already have switched the amps.... how does the rotel compare to the vincent ?

The thing is : I consider the same combo : rsp1098 or 1068 and the vincent p200 amp and really would like to know more.

gr henk

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"