X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EAmin
    • Aug 2004

RB-1090 with 703

I just installed my first HT which I’m VERY happy with. The 2 channel listening sounds GREAT! Just wondering if I would benefit more (after the speakers have broken in) with a more powerful amp like a RB-1090 driving the fronts. Eventually, I’m going to do 7.1 --- this would fit right in line with that plan. Right now, these speakers are being driven by an RMB-1095. Is the 1090 too much for this speaker? Thanks in advance!
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

My personal opinion is that rotel amps are not good with b&w speakers above 600 series. For their price, the pre/pro and receivers are good.

with that being said, I don't think you can ever have too much power.
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• volfan
      • Oct 2004

Originally posted by sikoniko
      My personal opinion is that rotel amps are not good with b&w speakers above 600 series. For their price, the pre/pro and receivers are good.

with that being said, I don't think you can ever have too much power.
      Why do you say that? Why don't you elaborate. My local dealer auditioned rotel equipment with 804's I just listened to and they sounded great! I have done a lot of research they last few weeks between this site, AVF Forum, Home Theater Spot, etc and this is the first time I have heard anyone say that Rotel doesn't match up well with B&W.

Comment

• sikoniko
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by volfan
        Why do you say that? Why don't you elaborate. My local dealer auditioned rotel equipment with 804's I just listened to and they sounded great! I have done a lot of research they last few weeks between this site, AVF Forum, Home Theater Spot, etc and this is the first time I have heard anyone say that Rotel doesn't match up well with B&W.
        The first time I heard 804's, they were demo'd on a 1075. At the time I had 805's and an htm2 while using them with no external amplification, only my rotel 1055. I had recently upgraded the 805's and htm2 from a pair of 604s1 and an htm matrix center. The 805's and htm2 produced a far superior difference in accuracy, over the 604's. The speakers were very quick and precise at reproducing sounds. however, I prefer a full range speaker, and felt that I needed to move into the 804's.

I went to the store and took a couple of my cd's in to listen. The store did not have 805's setup to directly compare, but since I was used to them at home, I had a good idea of the differences. The 804's they had, as I said before, were setup to a 1075 amp, and I don't recall what receiver or CD player.

The setup sounded great. I took a few CD's, but the one I got the most out of was a group called Banyan, which is a compilation of Steven Perkins from Janes Addiction and various other artists, such as Mike Watt, John Frusciante, Flea, etc...

The 804's presented the drums on the tracks in three dimension. I had never heard music like this before. It was very exciting. Based on this, I purchased the 804's, and probably with the intention of purchasing a Rotel Amp.

Now, with that being said. I initially used the 1055 with the 804's. The speakers were very strained with this minimal amount of power and would distort at low volumes. I knew I had to get an amp.

I had been happy with Rotel, and had the intention of purchasing a Rotel Amp to match. This is the time when the 1095's were popping up with problems, and Rotel was doing nothing to fix them. Without hearing another amp, that was the first strike against them. A company that denies problems with their product and then refuses to support its' customer leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

At that time I began shopping around and listening to others opinions. I also went and heard a few. I considered Classe, Lexicon, Bryston and Krell. Unfortunately I couldn't listen to all of these, but I did hear Krell and Bryston and new I liked them both in different ways. To be honest, if I could have heard Classe, I probably would have bought it. I have heard AWESOME things about the Omega Monoblocks, but that would definately be out of my budget.

Anyways, at that time, I caught wind of the Cinnenova, and its similarities to Bryston. I was offered a price that was competitive to the 1095, and I decided it was an offer that was too good to refuse.

When I got the amp setup, it was like my speakers relaxed. I could hear no more strain, and the colors started to come out. The music became three dimensional, but in a more dynamic way than the Rotel offered. In direct comparison, the rotel sounded thinner and less dynamic. If you only listen to the Rotel, you will think it sounds great, but if you compare it to other amps, you will hear the difference.

I believe just like HTIB, Rotel has its' place, and I don't knock that. I still have my Rotel 1055. Im not sure I would buy Rotel again. I am leaning more toward Arcam at this point, but that isn't important.

When it comes down to it, we each have to ask ourselves what is important to us and focus our energy in that direction. For me, I knew I wouldn't be happy w/ Rotel after listening to other posabilities.

I hope I answered your question, but if I didn't, I will elaborate later. Im kind of distracted by the debate.
        I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• EAmin
          • Aug 2004

At least you both agree on the 804s. Personally, I would like to stay with the Rotel / B&W combo, but I'd really like to maximize my set up in the near future (early next year). And I really like the 700 series speakers.

Apologies in advance if my Rotel question belongs in the Rotel forum. I'm really curious if the 703s can handle this much power (380wpc). I don't want to damage them. Most important, will they sound better making this kind of investment? Just wonderin'.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
            • May 2004

I'm sure it'll be fine. The 703s are the 700s biggest floorstander. I probably wouldnt use that kind of power for any other model in that series except the 703s since it'll be a overkill. If you want to pay $2000 for a stereo amp, in that league, you have alot of other really good options also. My B&W/Rotel dealer also carry Krell, why not give the Krell's a chance, they're very highly respected as well in the audio world. If you care about having the matching chasis, the silver Krell with the glowing blue lights are VERY nice to look at in person. Personally I think they are good compliments to Rotels'. Let your ears be the judge. Looks aren't everything.

Comment

• EAmin
              • Aug 2004

Well, I bought the Rotel RB 1090 today. Will let you know how it sounds with the 703s. Was very close to buying the 300cx Krell, but had to take a step back. With good cables and interconnects, it was spiraling way out of control.

Thanks to all for your feedback!
              Last edited by EAmin; 15 October 2004, 03:18 Friday.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2003

EAmin,

I bet you love it! - Tighter and more control and way better stereo...

PS - If you get any hum (always a posibility with the fully earthed amps like the Rotels RB-1080 or 1090 joining a system and allowing a cable or satellite ground to finally reach earth, - pop over to Club Rotel and do a search on Hum you'll get more than enough help!

Enjoy!

Geoff

Comment

• EAmin
                  • Aug 2004

Amp is here...FINALLY!

...and it sounds great. :-y

There does seem to be more separation and control. It really comes alive when I turn it up. I can't wait for it to break in some more.

The only negative to the amp was the power button --- it's locked in the ON position, and doesn't allow me to turn it off. My dealer's gonna pick it up and send it to a local repair shop here. At least I could turn it on and enjoy it.

Thanks to all for their feedback!

Comment

• Mitchell
                    • Sep 2004

I have 703's and the Rotel 1080 and the sound is terriffic.
                    Of course it depends very much on the recording, the system really shows the limitations of the source. I spent alot of time searching for the right mix and found that with lower power amps I could hear the difference especially in poor bass. Once I went up to the 1080 I heard what i was looking for - even at lower volumes. Im sure the 1090 would even be better.
                    enjoy
                    Mitchell

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"