X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tanwn
    • Jul 2004

Rotel 1090 heatsink question

i bought a used rotel 1090 and would like to know whether this is normal. The rear of the top plate heatsink facing rear of amp is hotter than the front part of the heatsink facing towards the front. Is this normal? After a while should the top be just warm to the touch or hot.
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

I believe the 1090's heat sinks along the front are just for show. The real heat sinks are internal. As far as the heat, anywhere from warm to hot should be normal. If it's too hot to leave your hand on it you may need more ventilation.

Kevin D.

Comment

• tanwn
      • Jul 2004

thanks kevin, but could you check for me whether the top plate of the amp (not the front heatsink) is warmer rearmost than the front, thanks.

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

I don't own one, but looking at a picture of the inside, it seems the capacitors are mounting up high in the front. This would block a lot of the heat in that area.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Wardo
          • May 2006

on my 1090's it's warm on either side, not front back or midde but sides.

Comment

• Kevin97225
            • Oct 2004

it's running normal

tanwn, it's performing normal as it should. I have two RB-1090 and they both are doing the same as yours. The Front heat sinks are just for show on the RB-1090 as Kevin D has said, as the real heat sinks are internal. The rear top in rear is always the warmer part on both mine than front. Mine run barely warm to the touch but this will depend on your speakers with how much current they like to have. I'm running Klipsch speakers that are very sensitive (102dB) so doesn't take as much current to drive them. It will also depend on room temperature of how warm too, mine runs warmer in the summer months. Also some RB-1090 may differ slightly where the warm spots will be because when the first versions RB-1090 were released, the inside layout was a little different than the later ones. The left and right transformers used to be more together but when Rotel revised the 1090, they moved each on opposite sides, which is the version I have. Yours is working normal so just don't worry about it. :P Enjoy! :T

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"