For large H.T. room would you buy
    803 front main
    htm1 center
    603 rears
    or
    804 front main
    htm1 center
    805 or scm1 rear

either setup will cost around the same money. Which setup will offer best results.
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Kevin,

What will you be listenning to with this (mix of HT, Stereo, DVD-A/SACD).

THe reason I ask is that the 803/HTM1/603 combination will be great for stereo and home theater with the 603s being a little tonally mismatched for multichannel music. The 603s will also need some space behind you in order to create a sound stage.

While the 804/HTM1/805 better for multichannel DVD-A and SACD (very precise rears but needs some space) and the 804/HTM1/SCM1 is better for HT (rears optimised for side HT placement)

Also:
    >> What Amp do you have?
    >> What subwoofer do you have?
    >> How large is your room (width and depth) - this affects the type of rear speakers and their placement relative to you?

Geoff

Comment

• kevin l.
      • Aug 2003

I have large room 20x25x12. I will be using Sunfire TGIII and amp sig 405x5. I don't listen to multi channel music, mostly watch sat.,movies, and play my xbox. I have already ordered the 803 and htm1 just need to add rears - something cheap. Went to my dealer today and liked 803 much better to myself and wife. Smother and wider soundstage with highs easy on ears. These features are important for me with DVD movie because I like to listen at louder volumes. I was listening on Krell showcase pre and 2205 amp. so hopefully I like at home as much as demo room. Budjet is in the red with purchase however I do still need rears. My sub is SVS Pb2+.
      Attached Files

Comment

• sikoniko
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

It appears that you already have rears. Unless you get in the nautilus series, you arent going to have seemless integration anyways. What is wrong with the current speakers you have?
        I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• jlee
          • Aug 2004

I would say just do it right and go:
          HTM1
          SCM1

It pains me to see the 603's matched with the 803 and HTM1... I'm a big believer in matching everything performance wise and not having weak links in the system. If you can't swing the extra $1500 fo the 803, then I would either:

A) go 804, HTM1, SCM1 (my current setup).... anything but those 603's with Nautilus!
          B) Save up the $1500 and do it right. :T

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2003

Kevin.

Excellent choice with the 803s IMO - you handled it perfectly:
            1) Going and listenning for yourself
            2) Involving your wife in the decision.

Im terms of centre - one listen and you will know their is no choice but the HTM1 to match the 804s!

Now, looking at your room I suggest the SCM1 for the surrounds. I'd locate them reasonably high in the side walls and they will fill in the sound nicely. That will also leave room for some centre rears for later if / when you decide to go 7.1. The reason I am suggesting this is that you dont really have the space for floorstanders like the 603s to breath and, with great speakers like the 803s you may as well go for a tonal match. Your dealer should give you a excellent discount given the 804/HTM1/SCM1 combination!

PS - What were those nice speakers in the picture (Martin Logans)?

PPS - If you realy can't afford the SCM1 then consider the DS7 or 705 (from the 700 series) but you woild need to listen to both of these carefully as they sound quite different from each other. Personally I like the 705...

Geoff

Comment

• sikoniko
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2003

hey guys, he said he already ordered the 803's...

HEY! what are you saying about 603's for rears, and in close corners no doubt!? thats what i have... for now anyways.. heheh. will be upgrading the scm1's in march though.. the agony of waiting for the inevitable.

Kevin, your on your way to a great setup! Im jealous of the cubbies you have for your components next to your tv...
              I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• kevin l.
                • Aug 2003

I ment to say the ds6 s3. I think there only 400-600 for pair which will be in my price range - very overspent. I dont want to become single. In that price range I could even go for 2prs which I would think would be good for my room. Oh yea I had Martin Logans but just got rid of them for B&Ws. I couldn't get them to image well in room also regular quality sources sounded really bad. I like the fact that everything I though at B&W speakers sounded good to great were Logans sounded only very good on top quality sources. So I sold Logans which were toward there top of the line.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2003

Kevin,

Money is money - so if the DS6 S3 is what you can afford right now - take them - try and lock in a trade up deal with your dealer to get full (or agreed) credit on SCM1s within 12 months....

The good thing about the DS6 is that they will mount in the same spots as the SCM1s - so swap over will be easy. They have limited low frequency extension (85 Hz) so you will need to cross-over them to the sub at 100 Hz... I still recommend side mounting at about head height...

The sound integration wont be quite as good as with the SCM1 but hey for less than 1/3 of the price IMO the most noticeable limitation would be on multi-channel music (which you say you don't do much of).

Re your second pair option (I am assuming you are talking 5.1 sound with parallel rear speakers rather than 7.1)- it will work (diffuse sound field like at many cinemas) and you could locate the second pair behind you. Personally I'd wait until I could afford to go 7.1 though - way better sound... (Unless the dealer will do a guaranteed trade-up option on 2 pairs of DS6's

Geoff

Comment

• kevin l.
                    • Aug 2003

Not sure what you mean about 5.1 with parrallel rear??? I'm talking about 7.1 which pre/pro will do. It still will only cost around 800$ for 2pairs as opposed to 1500 for one pair of scm1. My deal does have one yr trade up which I could take advange of in the future. I might even take the step up to 802 which my wife really liked in the future. For now budjet only allows appox 800-1100max for rears. I actually still own martin logan script (rear speakers) should I consider keeping them with B&W?? I'm guessing no since their such different speakers but to be honest when I was demoing 803 and htm1 in home I didnt notice the rears being off or standing out. Of course I only used for one day and some times these things take time to stand out also I didnt have the privalege of having B&W rears to try to compare sound which is why so many questions.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Oct 2003

Kevin,

Not sure what you mean about 5.1 with parrallel rear??? I'm talking about 7.1 which pre/pro will do. It still will only cost around 800$ for 2pairs as opposed to 1500 for one pair of scm1. My deal does have one yr trade up which I could take advange of in the future.
                      Understood - I was reacting to your earlier post which specified you had a 405*5 amp which I took to be a 5 channel amp. If you have 7 channels (2 amps or 1 x 7 channel) then fantastix - go for 7.1 - it's amazing!

I might even take the step up to 802 which my wife really liked in the future. For now budjet only allows appox 800-1100max for rears.
                      B&W 802s are awesome (I could fall in love with them). But you would almost certainly need new power amps etc. Besides I think 2006 is B&Ws 40th and they are expected to upgrade the Nautilus range then - so I'd hold out!

I actually still own martin logan script (rear speakers) should I consider keeping them with B&W?? I'm guessing no since their such different speakers but to be honest when I was demoing 803 and htm1 in home I didnt notice the rears being off or standing out. Of course I only used for one day and some times these things take time to stand out also
                      Sell them off on Audiogon or somtbing - the B&Ws do have a family sound and will blend better.

I didnt have the privalege of having B&W rears to try to compare sound which is why so many questions.
                      We like your quesitons and EVEN BETTER, that you take the time to go listen for yourself and form views / opinions so you can buy with confidence.

Geoff

Comment

• kevin l.
                        • Aug 2003

I do only have 5channel amp but for rears I could buy inexpense 2channell without a problem. My dealer has a demo NAD 80x2 which I would think would be ok (only 269$). I've never had a 7.1 setup in all my years of this hobby. I no the ds6 is not going to be as good but I'm hoping it will be somewhat close For MOVIES. I also noticed the 700 series has a dipole called the ds6 what is price of that? Is it much more? I'm sure it is but what to do 4 dipoles in 600 series or 2 dipoles in 700 series?

Comment

• kevin l.
                          • Aug 2003

^^^^

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Oct 2003

Kevin,

US RRP in the B&W DS6 is $600 and the DS7 $750...

DS7's do sound better than the DS6's so if you are thinking of keeping them - well worthwhile!

Re the 7.1 - I agree - just do it - your room is perfect for it - get the amp, place the two rears on the back wall evenly spaced between the walls at the same head (or a little more) hieght as the new side surrounds and go fo it - movie heaven!

Geoff

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"