X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rrrcpa
    • Sep 2004

Upgrade old system?

I am a newbie. I currently have the following: B&W604 front, 601 FE, DS-6, CCM-6 (center, I think), Velodyne 1012X sub, Yamaha 2092 (non-DTS) all 1998 purchases (used less than 1 year). I am finishing a basement and would be asking please for suggestions on my current system being outdated (1998) versus upgrading to new speakers (I love the B&W's) around $4,000-$6,000 range. I am adding a DLP2+ front projector and screen, and need a new receiver (another forum I assume). I see that B&W has come out with Series 2 and 3 of the speakers I have and don't know the sound difference. Are the 700 Series a huge increase over my current speaker setup. I was also going to add 2 additional rears (601 S3 maybe?).

Thank you.

Rocco
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Rocco,

Are the 700 Series a huge increase over my current speaker setup.
    Yes....

Clearer and more tranparent - much closer in sound to the 800 series... For stereo you will really notice the difference...

Geoff

Comment

• sikoniko
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

does the $4-6k include projector, screen and receiver or is it for speakers only?

If it is everything, than from the research I have done, you would be best off putting $2k into a decent projector, I have heard a screen can be had (home made) for around 150$, and then consider between a rotel 1056 or maybe a b&k pre/pro and get your 601's for rears if you think you need them. For the 6k, you could go 1068 and a 1075, that way you could move into seperates. Any excess money would go toward cabling.

I know that doesnt really upgrade your speakers, but it will provide you with a good backbone for your system, and you can upgrade your speakers later if you still feel you need to. Once you get a solid receiver, it will bring new life to your speakers.

However, if it is just for speakers, that is a different story.
      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• rrrcpa
        • Sep 2004

Thanks

Thanks guys. The $4-6k was for new speakers including subs, but only if the new 600 Series 3 is a big improvement from my older 600 series in your opinion or should I go to the 700 series? I see that the 700's are tighter and clearer for music. If it's not a huge upgrade I'll put the extra money in a receiver (which one I have no clue, especially after reading the CEDIA reviews) and I was set on a projector in the $5-6k range (again before I read the CEDIA reviews). I understand I am asking a very subjective question, but some of you really have strong opinions (the great part about this forum).

Thanks again.
        Rocco

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"