X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fphpcp
    • Apr 2006

Need Some Info For Rebuilding Existing Speakers

I have an old pair of Bose 601 Series II Speakers. The Foam Surrounds have deteriated and I was wondering if there were any replacement woofers other than the origianls that someone could recommend or should I stick with the originals and just refoam them. Also Is there any other modifications I could add to improve them.
  • gd
    • Jan 2003

Originally posted by fphpcp
    Bose 601... Is there any other modifications I could add to improve them.
    You could take a sledgehammer to 'em and start from scratch.

Sorry, not a lot of love for Bose here -- at least not newer Bose... but if you say your 601s are OK and have served you well, who am I to refuse help?

Modding or switching Bose drivers would be money poorly spent, IMO.

But replacing the surrounds is a small expenditure that is worthwhile... try Parts Express: http://www.partsexpress.com/ ... lotsa DIY stuff there including surround replacements, speaker kits etc... and helpful, informed people on the phone as well.

Good luck.
    greg (gd to you)
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
    production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI,
      The 601's are becomming aged. They were never great speakers but were quite popular at their price point. As a former hi fi repair shop owner I have some experience with repairing 601's... they are a bitch!!!!!

But since you already know that the foam surrounds are turned to dust, you must already have the wrap around grille removed. That's the first part of the hard part. Getting thm back on properly is the second part.

That said, you should contact Bose for replacement drivers. I'm sure they are still available.

If not, contact a local speaker rebuilder. They can do the job cheaper than new drivers. New drivers is still the best solution.

Sparky

Comment

• NonSense
        • Nov 2003

I would not refoam the drivers. I have heard/seen more unsuccessful stories than successful ones. The foam material effects the driver mechanical operation. If the repair is poor, it will effect movement of the driver and the sound quality. I have seen a pair where too much adhesive was used on one side making it stiff and the driver had an unbalanced extension. It is unlikely that BOSE has a refoaming kit, so you will be using a generic foam replacement kit which will not be the same material. Since you will likely need to cut to length, the joining seam will be either stiff or open effecting the seal.

If the replacement drivers are not available, it is a good excuse to get a new set. That was my final solution when a set of my 18 year old speakers had the same problem a few years back. No regrets, just better music.
        Bruce

Comment

• gianni
          • Nov 2002

fphpcp,

For the time and effort, I think you will be much happier by going with a new speaker. Put that time into auditioning some new speakers. You might consider some of the less expensive Paradigm speakers. They do have some nice sounding speakers at very affordable prices.

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI nonsense,
            While I agree that new drivers is the better solution. I have had very good results from a local speaker rebuilder. Over the years I have had maybe 100 speakers rebuilt and all were mechanically sound (a pun ) after the process. I trust the man's work.

However, as you know, every driver has certain mechanical properties that may not be duplicated in the rebuilding process. For example, the compliance of the surround is crucial to the tuning of the enclosure. The manufacturer knows these properties in detail while the rebuilder can, at best, only approximate the original surround. Thus, the speaker may not be a perfect resonance match to the enclosure after being rebuilt. That is the main reason I prefer new OEM drivers.

As for junking the entire speaker, well, that's a personal call.

Sparky

Comment

• NonSense
              • Nov 2003

Good points

In my case, the local speaker rebuilder had mixed results and was not recommending the proceedure. (Even though he was loosing the business) (This was also the opinion of my dealer) There was no gasket kit to match the cone diameter, so a universal type would need to be used. The diameter would be reduced by cutting out the excess material and leaving a seam on the perimeter of the driver. The seam was the problem area. We inspected some drivers that he had on hand from DIY'ers and other shops that came to him to get new drivers installed after the failed repair.

If I recall, the amount of labour required to do a good job, was a reasonable portion of a comparable sized set of drivers. (All the LF drive units required the work) IMO, on a job like this, experience is the key. I would like to have a practice shot to work out the kinks before attempting the real units myself. And I'm a pretty handy with these type of jobs.

IMO, I see two categories.

- The speakers under question are reasonable priced and have had a great run. The repair expense is best served toward a new set of the latest technology. I know I get great satisfaction in a good repair job, but I also know when it's time for a retirement.

- The speakers are of exceptional quality (and exceptional price) and are worth the effort and cost of repair even after many years. Most of this group will likely fall into the audio conneseur group who will not be satisfied with this type of gasket repair. A slight change in the character of the speaker will not be tolerated. This group should go for the new drivers, as you may be back for them in the long run.

I'm sure a good job can be had, but from what I have heard, people are often dissapointed with the results.
              Bruce

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"