X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • weijst
    • Jun 2004

B&W 705

Hi all,

People say / write these speakers tend to sound too clear / harsh / attacking when you hear them for the first time (especially compared to their more expensive siblings the 805's).

I listened to them and must say, to me, they are more present than the 805's.

However, I thought that was a known 'problem' with B&W speakers. Do they sound more relaxed after about a month? Or is that just another way of saying "after a month I got used to the sound..."

Can anyone please comment on these (705) speakers?

Furthermore, the most important reason why I lean more towards the 705 than the 805's is that the guy at the store told me that, considering my music preference (U2, Queen, Sting, Police, Evanescence, Celine Dion) the 805's should't be the way to go.... (comment anyone?)

Thank you!

ps: I thought choosing new front channels would be easy...
    Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R
  • farbs
    • Jun 2004

Celine Dion????

Comment

• sikoniko
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

If it makes sense, what happens, in my opinion, during break-in is that the speakers become transparent. you can no longer isolate where the sound is, and while speakers are on both corners of the room, it sounds like it is coming from the middle. different instruments become more pronounced and 3 dimensional.

I have never directly compared the 705's to the 805's, but I can say that the 805's are very precise speakers. the edges guitar work would definately be highlighted better w/ the 805's, as well as bono and stings voice. i could go on... the point is, the 805 is a better speaker, but go w/ what sounds best to you, and keep in mind that they wont sound like they do at the store when you get home and get them broken in.
      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• farbs
        • Jun 2004

Just joking!!
        Really the 705 is truely a beatiful speaker, but then again so is the 805.
        It comes down to budget, what the price difference is,.
        If price doesn't matter, don't be to swayed by the salesman, I am sure he means well but he is not the the one who has to live with them.
        Listen, listen and then listen some more because these speakers are not going to be upgraded for some time (i'm guessing).
        Take in a few of your favorite cd's, ones that you are really familliar with and then start comparing.

Comment

• hired goon
          • Aug 2004

Have you considered the 704 instead of the 705? It's basically the same, with a bit more bass.

I'm a bit suspicious of using bookshelf speakers such as the 705 as mains (although, for about the same price, I'd probably choose the 805 over the 704 or 703).

Does anyone here use 705 for mains, and are pleased with the result?
          Last edited by hired goon; 13 September 2004, 22:20 Monday. Reason: Change "704 instead of 805" to "704 instead of 705"

Comment

• Pez
            • May 2004

Originally posted by hired goon
            Have you considered the 704 instead of the 805? It's basically the same, with a bit more bass.

I'm a bit suspicious of using bookshelf speakers such as the 705 as mains (although, for about the same price, I'd probably choose the 805 over the 704 or 703).

Does anyone here use 705 for mains, and are pleased with the result?
            I had them as mains and a HTM7. The HTM7 is an excellent speaker, very clear. The 705's were great but in my room, which is very open and carpeted, they had absolutely no bass (I like to listen to music in pure 2 channel stereo). So I sold those to a friend and recently got to hear them again. In his room the bass response was completely different. They sounded awesome to say the least. I kept checking to see if the sub was on (it wasnt) becasue they didnt have that much bass in my apartment. His room only has one small entry into it and has no carpeting.

I knew that room acoustics plays a part in sound but was amazed just how much it can effect the sound. My feeling is the 705's work best in a small room when used as mains if music is a priority. A good sub can fix this. For HT I thought they were great,especially the HTM7 center channel.

Comment

• kiki
              • Sep 2004

I have the B&W705+HTM7 and Rotel 1068+1075 for 3weeks and now it's time to get a sub - Hsu VTF-3 MK 2 / VTF-2 MK 2 or rel Q150 mk2 / Q201 or svs 25-31PCi or Mj acoustic Reference 100 / Reference 150. They are all almost the same prices, which one do you think is better match with 705+htm7 with rotel pre/power. Thanks

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                • May 2004

for HT...SVS or Hsu are very very popular.
                My dealer always try to get me to get one of their REL subs. He said they're more musical than the typical wall shaking subs for movies. I'm sure he knows what he's talking about, but I don't think he heard a SVS yet. I don't he'll admit it even if he has. hehe.

Comment

• HTguy
                  • Sep 2004

I am also looking to upgrade my sub to go with the 705s. I currently have an old Velodyn 8". How are these sub, Hsu/SVS compared to the BW AVS 750 for music and HT

thanks

HTguy
                  Originally posted by BlazeMaster
                  for HT...SVS or Hsu are very very popular.
                  My dealer always try to get me to get one of their REL subs. He said they're more musical than the typical wall shaking subs for movies. I'm sure he knows what he's talking about, but I don't think he heard a SVS yet. I don't he'll admit it even if he has. hehe.

Comment

• kiki
                    • Sep 2004

Looking for a sub to match with the B&W 705+htm7. Is the 'american' sub different than the 'european' sub? From forums and reviews, 'american' sub (svs, hsu, sunfire, jbl...ect) seen to be more for HT, cheaper, more ground shaking and 'european' sub (Mj acoustic, rel, Focal and etc) more for music, more expensive. right???

Comment

• Rags
                      • Aug 2003

The REL Q150 & 201 are not a match for an ASW750 for movies or music. They are miles apart. If you already have 700 series speakers the ASW750 would be a good choice (if not for the sound at least in the looks dept). REL seems to be less popular this side of the pond which is surprising given that it is a UK brand. A lot of people inc myself feel that their models especially lower down the range are overhyped and overpriced.

Also is this right in the States - REL Q201e and B&W ASW750 both have an MSRP @ $1600 ? In the UK the REL is £725 whilst the B&W is £1200. Even at £725 I feel that the REL is way overpriced.

I have only ever heard one MJ Acousics sub (I cant remember which model) and it was a decent performer.

The SVS PC Ultra and there other cylinders are fantastic for the money if you can put up with their looks. The PC Ultra especially is a real humdinger.

Comment

• Fife
                        • Apr 2004

Even though the 705/805 are small, they can hold their own in a fairly large room. I have used my Matrix 805 in a 14x21 room with no problems. Sad to say they "out-sounded" the CDM 7NT floorstanders my buddy has.
                        They may not play as deep but thats what a subwoofer is for.
                        I believe greggz has 805's in a fairly large room.

I have never directly compared the 705's to the 805's, but I can say that the 805's are very precise speakers.
                        I agree with sikoniko

Are there differences... of course. The difference between them depends highly on the associated electronics.
                        I also agree with BrassAudiophile.
                        I think this is the main difference between the higher end series of B&W speakers. In fact probably the majority of high-end speaker brands.
                        If you buy a ferrari, you better hope to be able to afford the insurance for it. Don't expect to buy a ferrrari and pay less than $1000 insurance/year.

These are all great questions and solutions everyone is providing. :T

Comment

• jlee
                          • Aug 2004

>The REL Q150 & 201 are not a match for an ASW750 for movies or music. They are miles apart. If you already have 700 series speakers the ASW750 would be a good choice (if not for the sound at least in the looks dept). REL seems to be less popular this side of the pond which is surprising given that it is a UK brand. A lot of people inc myself feel that their models especially lower down the range are overhyped and overpriced.

In my opinion, the ST series is the only REL series worth considering. The Q series is overpriced and a bit ugly if you ask me (front drivers, black only, etc.). The ST series is still expensive in the US because of the shipping from the UK, but I still haven't found anything better in North America.

>Also is this right in the States - REL Q201e and B&W ASW750 both have an MSRP @ $1600 ? In the UK the REL is £725 whilst the B&W is £1200. Even at £725 I feel that the REL is way overpriced.

Wow that is quite a difference. I would get the ASW750 over the Q201E, but I would get the Strata III ($1500 MSRP) over the ASW750. I've demoed all 3, albeit briefly on the 201E and ASW750.

Comment

• Rags
                            • Aug 2003

TBH I have only heard one ST series sub (the Stadium) and wasnt impressed. The problem is whilst other manufacturers have upped the ante with new subwoofers REL really hasnt been able to match the new performance levels.

In a recent subwoofer test in HiFi news magazine (a trusted source in the UK) they compared amongst other subs the REL Stadium III (£1500) and the B&W ASW 850 (£2000). The B&W won the test by a comfortable margin and given I have one I can personally vouch for some of the things they said about it. The REL's achiles heel were odd order distortions that were approx 10% regardless of the subs sound pressure level which whatever way you look at it is a very poor result. The B&W kept harmonic distortions to less than 1% at sound pressure levels as high as 110db. The REL also has nowhere near the extension the REL website quotes whilst the B&W performed as per spec.

The REL's 250mm driver simply does not go low enough even with a tuned port and for AV it doesnt cut the mustard at its price point. There is no real substitute for a large driver and amp and the Stadium has neither. Im an AV fan and Id rather have something like a SVS PC Ultra than the REL Stadium. Again its just my opinion and you clearly disagree (and other as well I presume) - I guess if we all held the same views we would all end up owning the same products !

Comment

• sikoniko
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Aug 2003

Well, since we are talking about 850's, I think I will chime in w/ my opinion. I have been giving this a lot of thought, and my opinion is largely based on my experience w/ subwoofers in mobile audio. For a large room solution, with multiple subwoofers, I believe that an 850 AND an 800 would be an excellent solution.

Reason being that a 15 in driver and a 12 in have different characteristics, and would add an extra level of depth for bass.

I guess it is OT, but I have been thinkin about it lately and had to spit it out somewhere...
                              I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                                • May 2004

unfortuantly, HTguy, I don't have the SVS yet. I'll order it this Friday and it should get here around middle of next week. My opinion of the SVS are simply through review and opinions of members of other AV forums that done direct comparison between brand name speaker makes vs. internet direct companies like SVS and Hsu. I won't be using the sub too much for music, so for HT, either one will be more than enough.

Comment

• Bandwagoner
                                  • Oct 2004

I 2nd the SVS woofers. They are simply awesome. I was an early adopter, bought my dual 20-39cs the first year they were in business. Then i upgraded to dual 16-39cs and still have them to this day. I live in Canada and shipping + taxes + UPS bogus charges arent cheap but i wont hesitate to buy from them again. Actually ive been drooling about the PB2 Ultra. ops: SVS just added a sub in the $400US range. Its bass response is ruler flat from 20hz - 150hz ground plane. Prolly can play down to 16hz with room gain. Just unbelievable. I used to own B&W ASW1000 before I got my SVS's. They are that good.

Cheers,
                                  jer

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                                    • May 2004

makes me feel all warm in the stomach to hear good things about SVS. After all, I just placed an order for a PB2plus.

Comment

• junior77blue
                                      • Nov 2004

What is the consensus....705 with 10" 7 series sub vs. 704 with 7 series sub? For home theater 60% / 2.1 40%?

I currently own the 705's and the 10" sub and i'm using a pair of 600s3 for surround sound. I'm debating if I should replace my 705's with 704's or even 703's. And then move the 705s to the rear.

I am also debating replacing my center channel, currently CDNT line with the HTM7 to match my 705's.

Any thoughts?

Thanks..

Comment

• weijst
                                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by junior77blue
                                        I'm debating if I should replace my 705's with 704's or even 703's. And then move the 705s to the rear....
                                        I'm thinking of doing exactly that, once the cash starts flowing in again . I am however a bit worried that my current centerchannel (HTM7) will form an obvious weak link in my front soundstage when opting for a pair of 703s (due to the FST drivers). If that doesn't turn out to be the case, I might also consider a pair of 804s... (actually, I find it strange that the comparisson 703 vs 804 hasn't been brought up yet on this forum...)

I am also debating replacing my center channel, currently CDNT line with the HTM7 to match my 705's.
                                        I doubt if it's really worth it going from a CDM CNT to an HTM7, but what I do know, is that the HTM7 really does pair perfectly with the 705s (just lower the volume level to the centerchannel by app. 2db compared to the 705s, since the HTM7 seems to be a bit more efficient).

Anyway, keep us informed!
                                        Last edited by weijst; 17 November 2004, 16:32 Wednesday.
                                        Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• junior77blue
                                          • Nov 2004

A couple of other scenarios...

Keep the 705's for main speakers, use my 600s for surround sound and just replace the CDMCNT with the HTM7.

OR

Keep the 705's up front, replace the 600's rears with 700 series dipole speakers and still replace the CDMCNT with the HTM7 to have the fronts 'match'.

The question I have for people is what would be a better surround speaker? 705 or Dipole 700 series?

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"