X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grady
    • Jun 2004

Speaker Placement/704 vs ???

Hello!!
    We are building out a new family room and are going to install a HT system. The 42" plasma TV will be mounted over the fireplace at a heighth of approximately 5 feet from the floor (bottom of TV). We plan to build in the CMW Cinema as the center channel below the TV. The rear speakers will be ceiling mounted CCM series (any recommendations on model appreciated!). All wiring is in place inwall. For the front speakers, after listening to a variety of speakers, we're leaning toward the 704's. We have vacilated between wall mounted, FPM or inwall front speakers, but after hearing the 604 and 704 floor speakers, the sound difference was too much better. While the 704's are at the top of the budget, I would rather spend once, so seem worth the extra $$. My wife is an interior designer and it has taken some effort to sell her on floor speakers, but I think I'm finally there.

My questions are: 1) With the TV mounted relatively high, would floor speakers synch with the center speaker and monitor or sound too removed? If so, any recommendations? 2) Would the CMW Cinema center match ok with the 704's?

We would use the system 50% HT and 50% music. We anticipate getting a Denon 3805 or 2805.
  • NHT
    • Mar 2004

I dont think you will have any problems with the speakers being in sync with the tv. My motorized front projection is mounted app that high and I have not discerned any problems. My only recommendation to you is think twice before you jump into the Denon to power your B&W's. Prior to the CDM7NT's I used a Denon to power my 602.5 and it did a horrible job. After upgrading to a Rotel 1055, the difference was dramatic to say the least. Rotel matches beautifully with B&W's. You will not regret it. Even better, why dont you save up a little more and get Rotel seperates. It will give you much more headroom and cleaner sound. Look in the HTGUIDE pawn shop. Im sure theres Rotel for sale. Good luck

Comment

• Grady
      • Jun 2004

Rotel difference??

I appreciate your responce and input. My question: Is it worth spending more on the front speakers vs the AV receiver? I'm new at this, but from the reviews I've read, the Denon seems relatively comparable vs the Rotel. I've been told to invest $$$ in speakers first. Also, what physical property makes separates better than one receiver? Your thoughts?

Comment

• weijst
        • Jun 2004

Hi there Grady,

I have to agree with NHT on the reciever part. I believe those 704's deserve better than a 2805 / 3805. Not to say the 3805 is not a very nice reciever, but the Rotel RSX-1056 does deserve my preference.

For your information, there is a decent review (14 pages) in the july issue of the magazine 'Home Cinema' were the 3805 takes it up against the Arcam DiVA AVR300, HK AVR630, Rotel RSX-1056 and the Yamaha RX-V2400 RDS. The final scores were: 90% (Denon), 87% (Arcam), 92% (HK), 95%(Rotel), 89%(Yamaha).

Now these scores might be 'coloured' and another magazine could have came up with a different conclusion. Nevertheless, the review gave me an overall impression that seemed pretty close to the sound I experienced while listening to the 3805 and the 1056 (allthough I did end up with the Rotel seperates 1068 / 1075 )

If you're not able to find the review, I can quote some passages for you. However, since it contains 14 pages, try to ask a direct question so I can look it up for you.

Oh, one thing I should probably mention, the purchase did make me sell my 600 series speakers and I'm now still trying to decide on a new front channel... This is what people on this forum like to refer to as a certain illness 'upgradis'...

Good luck!
        Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• BlazeMaster
          • May 2004

I got my 600s bookshelves powered by a Denon2805 right now, I'm happy with the results since I didn't pay too much for them. I'll upgrade to the 700s/800s bookshelves within the next year. And when I do, I'd definitly get a Rotel amp (1075) to power the speakers and leave the processing to the Denon 2805 until I have spare $$ for Rotel's entry-level preamp. For the 600s the Denon will be ok, but anything higher in the B&W offerings (700s/800s), go with Rotels. Good luck.

Comment

• theMaximus
            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Grady
            We would use the system 50% HT and 50% music. We anticipate getting a Denon 3805 or 2805.

Originally posted by weijst
            I have to agree with NHT on the reciever part. I believe those 704's deserve better than a 2805 / 3805. Not to say the 3805 is not a very nice reciever, but the Rotel RSX-1056 does deserve my preference.
            I agree that RSX-1056 would be a better choice. I initially had the B&W 704 and RSX-1056 set-up and was amazed at the sound. I've since purchased a Rotel RB-1070 amp to power my 704, but I can testify that you will not be dissapointed by RSX-1056. Unless you are set on 6.1 or 7.1 system and insist on driving all your speakers with one receiver, 3805 wouldn't offer any advantage over 1056. I know Denon has higher rated power (120W/channel if I'm not mistaken), it actually measures to be about 91W in most situations. Since Rotel, on the other hand, actually pumps out 75W/channel or more, difference in power rating is not significant. Furthermore, numbers don't always tell the whole story. IMO, Rotel sounds more natural than Denon, which tends to sound overly bright or "in your face." Also, the automatic set-up feature with 3805 is not that big of a deal since you can do the same thing yourself with $45 (US) SPL meter from Radio Shack and a tape measure.

If you are concerned more with HT than music, then 3805 may please your ears ever so slightly more than 1056. When it comes to music, 1056 blows 3805 away. Keep in mind that B&W and Rotel are closely related. Therefore, B&W uses Rotel equipment when designing speakers, and vise versa. You should definitely audition 1056 with your B&W 704s.

I'm not saying 3805 is a bad receiver. It actually sounded pretty darn good when I auditioned it. However, bottom line is that you will be fine with 3805, but you probably will be much happier with 1056.
            Victory Shall Be Mine!!! :heh:

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"