X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AmeriPawn
    • Sep 2010

Classe 30/70 preamp and amp question(s) and more

Hi. Thought I would see if anyone here has any experience with this combo? If you didn't have both that's ok as long as you owned one or the other. Or,if you have listened to one and have audible memory of it. This is the combo I have now paired with a pair of B&W CDM1SE speakers. I really enjoy the synergy the pre/amp & B&W have together. The issue I am having is that the bass in the midrange sounds bloated. Also, some of the vocals sound a little veiled as well. I do have the speakers monuted on B&W stands running Audioquest Type 4 cables. I previously had MIT but for a 1/10th of the price I am getting 98% of what I was hearing with the MIT cables.

I am thinking of pulling the trigger on a Classe DR-2....from what I have read from reviews the 25 wpc class A amp is the best of the best from Classe back in the day. I am also in the market for better speakers. So far I am considering the Fritz Carbon 7,something by Dynaudio possibly,Jamo (I had a pair years ago and liked their sound alot, or maybe a pair of Dali speakers. Any opinions,suggestions,gripes,praises, etc. are welcomed. Thanks.
    Listening to Bose is like cleaning your butt with leaves......sure it works but why when there are MUCH better alternatives!
  • Glen B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jul 2004

Having owned the CP-35 and CP-45 in the past, I think the CP-30 would be a definite weak link in the chain no matter what amp you pair it with. IMO, a step up to a CP-50, CP-60 or even an older DR-6 would be a significant performance jump in all areas, as I discovered when I upgraded to the 50. Also, you don't say what your source is. That could be holding you back as well.
    Last edited by Glen B; 11 September 2010, 14:07 Saturday.

Comment

• AmeriPawn
      • Sep 2010

Hi. Thanks for the input. My source is never really the same. I have tried tons of different cd players and cables and none made a difference (I have tried everything from Sony ES to very exotic brands). I really think it's the speakers. I have read on other forums and reviews that there is a weird mid bass thing going on with these speakers. Even my B&W dealer confirmed this a few days ago. I was hoping they were wrong as I really like everything else about the speakers. I thought I had found a great little system that had great synergy but I cannot get over the bloat in the mids though. I am going to buy a DR-2 based on reviews only and if it turns out I don't like it it will go in the closet with the other gear. I may just redo the whole system since I have access to so many things because of my work. Much appreciated and I will look into your suggestions as well. :T
      Listening to Bose is like cleaning your butt with leaves......sure it works but why when there are MUCH better alternatives!

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"