X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gump
    • Sep 2005

Mcintosh & Classe

I spent the last couple of years searching and demo-ing electronics to match up with my 803D's, but after obtaining some Mcintosh equipment a few months ago I started second guessing myself on if I had made the right decision or if I should have stayed with my original plan of buying Classe electronics. My mind and memory were playing some head games with myself.

I went to the local dealer resolved that I would not leave the demo room until I was 100% sure which gear was the best----for me anyway.

The Mcintosh demo gear consisted of the MX-120 pre/pro combined with the MC-207 200watt amp vs the Classe SSP300 pre/pro and the CA-5200 200watt amp. Very comparable equipment.

The source players were varied however, with the Mac using a Denon 2910 player vs the Classe CDP-300. Obvious advantage to the Classe.

Both sets of equipment were in the same room and hooked up to B&W 803D speakers.

No SPL meter was available so we had to gauge sound levels by ear. Not the most scientific approach, but we were aware of this shortcoming and therefore paid extremely close attention to making sure the volume levels of both systems were as close as we could get them utilizing this method.

First up was the Classe and it sounded as smooth and wonderful as it always does. I sat back and relaxed while listening to 5 tracks off the new Eric Clapton CD (Layla-unplugged, Running On Faith-unplugged, Motherless Child, Change the World, and My Father's Eyes). When I was done I almost felt that there wasn't much point in bothering with the Mcintosh because I suspected that it wasn't going to be able to compete with the sophisticated sound of the Classe. I was wrong.

The Mcintosh gear lived up to the challenge and immediately grabbed my attention. The music was engaging and dynamic sounding so that I even turned it's volume down a couple of notches for fear that we had not gauged the level accurately enough and had unintentionally given the Mcintosh the advantage. Even at the lower volume (which I'm positive was the same or lower as the Classe) the Mcintosh held it's own and sounded great.

The Classe seemed to have slightly better imaging, but I thought that could possibly be attributed to the superior Classe CDP.

The next test was as "blind" as I could make it. I selected one song (Stevie Ray"s "Little Sister") and then left the demo room while the salesman put the cd into one of the test systems. He would then call me back into the room and play the song. I did not know which system was playing (they were both set up behind me). I picked #"s 3,5, and 6 as sounding the best to me. Per the salesman demo#'s 1,3, and 6 were Classe and 2,4, and 5 were Mcintosh.

We listened to the song again with me knowing which system was playing and I felt that the Classe system had a slight edge, but we also both felt that my prior reduction of the Mcintosh's volume left it a smidgeon below the Classe's so we bumped it up a notch to try and even it out. We did the blind test 4 more times (2 each) and I picked the Mcintosh both times as the winner. Several more test demos were done with the Mcintosh and Classe going back and forth like a couple of pugilists battling it out for the championship. Ali vs Frazier--the refined boxer and the slugger.

A couple of hours later I left the demo room happy and content.

So, what (if any) conclusions can be drawn from this event?

A) None
    B) I'm confused and/or need my hearing checked
    C) I should probably sell all my high-priced stereo equipment and by a Bose Wave.
    D) the ubiquitous "all of the above".

My personal conclusion is that both Mcintosh and Classe are excellent and wonderfully sounding systems and that differences do exist between them but in the grand world of fine audio they are fairly minute. Whichever one you choose you'll be getting a winner and should be very, very happy.
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Interesting comparison.

I think you
    - Could buy either and be happy, they are both excellent
    - Could buy either and be unhappy because the grass is always greener

They have very different looks. With such a close match you could just go with the one that looks best to you, or the cheaper one!!!

I reckon choose one and do a home demo. Remember that it will sound different in your room. If you are still happy with the sound then you have your decision. Thats my 2 cents.
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• ShadowZA
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

Gump, I wish I could at least give you my opinion ... but I can't as I do not have enough experience regarding these two superb brands. What I can say, is that if it is at all possible for you to do a home demo ... then that should be the way to go. Best would be to spend 2 days at home with Classe and thereafter 2 days at home with Mcintosh. Such dedicated closeness with both brands could give you the edge in arriving at a conclusion.

If this can't be done then I would say that the next best thing for you to do is to take your time in deciding. Go back & listen again. Sleep on it. Listen again. Compile a list of pros & cons regarding both brands of equipment. Over time you could find yourself favouring one over the other.

The world of high-end quality audio is never easy. Interesting it is, though.

Good luck.

Comment

• sikoniko
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

I know nothing about the McIntosh product, but I'm not convinced this was apples and apples.

According to McIntosh, the MX120 has "Pure analog and 2-channel bypass modes are provided, as is low noise MM phono preamp."

The SSP-300 does not. What you compared was the McIntosh by-pass to the Classe DSP. If the DSP stood up to the Mc' Bypass, imagine what the Classe Bypass in the SSP600 would do?
        I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• sikoniko
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

creating a new post in case someone already read my previous comments, so it doesn't get overlooked.

btw, why not use the same CDP in both systems? That way you can rule out CDP.

Mc Supports balanced, you could have hooked it up to the Mc via balanced and to the SSP300 via RCA. Or just swapped cables when the speaker cables were swapped...
          I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• hd99yr
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by sikoniko
            I know nothing about the McIntosh product, but I'm not convinced this was apples and apples.

According to McIntosh, the MX120 has "Pure analog and 2-channel bypass modes are provided, as is low noise MM phono preamp."

The SSP-300 does not. What you compared was the McIntosh by-pass to the Classe DSP. If the DSP stood up to the Mc' Bypass, imagine what the Classe Bypass in the SSP600 would do?
            You could run the SSP-300 through the 7.1 input just using the fronts. This bypasses the dsp and makes a difference with improved base and a better sound over all.

Don't be afraid to mix them up also. I have a SSP-300, mc-402 and 802D and never looked back. Did a home demo with the mc-402 and cam-400's. ( already had the SSP-300 ) the McIntosh just Sounded better to me with the SSP-300.

Both are excellent products and you can't go wrong with either I feel. It's what you like that matters!
            " Just when I thought I was out, THEY PULL ME BACK IN "

Comment

• joetama
              • May 2006

Originally posted by sikoniko

This is a very very good point. The Classe DSP is outstanding, simply amazing. Their analog bypass is even better. Mac is great, but honestly for my ears I love the Classe.

I don't honestly think you could go wrong either way however...
              -Joe

Comment

• amdan
                • Sep 2006

Gump,

The only conclusion to draw is that you walked out of that room a winner - you are happy with the decision you made. The Macs are obviously the right gear for you.

Well done!

Comment

• joetama
                  • May 2006

Originally posted by amdan
                  Gump,

The only conclusion to draw is that you walked out of that room a winner - you are happy with the decision you made. The Macs are obviously the right gear for you.

Well done!
                  I agree... Anyone with his setup I would call a winner... :T
                  -Joe

Comment

• Glenee
                    • Aug 2006

When you get to this level there are no right's or wrong's it's just a matter of personal preference. It's all GOOD !
                    Glenee

Comment

• Glenee
                      • Aug 2006

Look at Me I'm a Senior Member now. Someone checked my Age.

Comment

• dknightd
                        • Mar 2006

smile and be happy

Comment

• Russ L
                          • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Glenee
                          Look at Me I'm a Senior Member now. Someone checked my Age.
                          Do we get 10% off all CAT Cable purchases? I'm feeling old.
                          Russ

Comment

• Gump
                            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Glenee
                            When you get to this level there are no right's or wrong's it's just a matter of personal preference. It's all GOOD !
                            Glenee
                            That was kinda my point....I was just a little blabbier about making it.

Congratulations on becoming a senior citizen.

Comment

• joetama
                              • May 2006

Originally posted by Russ L
                              Do we get 10% off all CAT Cable purchases? I'm feeling old.
                              That would be nice...
                              -Joe

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"