X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gsiokis
    • Mar 2004

B&W Nautilus 805 Stand Advice

All,
    Setting up my 805's on OEM stands, should I add Sand only, Lead Shot only, Sand and Lead Shot mixed or better yet nothing at all?

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Gus
  • greggz
    • Jun 2002

I originally tried sand and it did little to add any mass (which is what I was looking to do).

I now have mine filled with lead shot. Not many gun shops stock lead shot anymore these days. I cleaned out 3 different shops to fill my 805 and HTM stands. If you decide to go with lead, you are looking for "Lawrence brand chilled lead shot". It comes in a several pellet sizes, but the size really doesn't matter. Its all BB size or smaller. Actually, the smaller it is, the tighter it will pack and so the more you will have to buy.

If I recall correctly, it took 8 or 9 bags to fill both of the 805 stands and the HTM stand. I paid anywhere from $15 to $25 per bag depending on the store. No doubt about it now, those baby's are anchored to the floor! :T

There are potential health risks handling lead, but in my opinion, in this application, they are minimal. The design of the 805/HTM stand is such that it seals up pretty darn tight when you screw the base and top plate on. Pour the lead straight from the bag into the stands and make sure you wash your hands well after handling the lead.
    Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

• Mark_C.
      • Jan 2003

A couple of bags of gravel worked just fine for me.

Comment

• gostan
        • May 2003

I used a bag of sand purchased at Home Depot for about $2.29 with a plastic funnel from my workbench to fill the stands on my CDN 1NT's. I had to wipe some extra sand off of the bases and carry the stands upstairs from the basement. No sweat at all.
        Stan

Comment

• caleb
          • Aug 2004

Lead shot preferred

When I first set up my 805's I used builders sand, but after about a month I decided to empty this out and replace it with the small BB sized lead shot.

Quite a mission as it takes many kilos of shot to fill the leg of the stand, but well worth it.

:T I swear you can hear the difference.

Comment

• biomed_eng_2000
            • Jul 2004

A hybrid mixture of shot (steel perhaps) and sand would be great.

The shot would add mass while the sand will provide vibrational damping...the best of both worlds!

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"