X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JOY DIVISION
    • Aug 2004

New to HT??

I'm new to HT since I only listen to 2 channel, now that baby is on the way, staying home is a priority and my wife suggested that we should get an HT going. Prior to this, it took me awhile to build my 2 channel system since searching for the right goods required some funds and long hours auditioning at different dealers. But it paid off pretty good since I thought I made the right investment. So for the HT part another adventure begins, I've audition the Rotels, B&K, Anthem, you know the Rotels are not bad and their price is pretty fair.I'm pretty sure they would work well with a N803 coupled with a dedicated center and for the rear I was leaning on the B&W DS7(anyone really own this product, I've heard it on the dealer showroom and it was pretty impressive?) or opt for a bookshelf like a 705? Would this work with my N803 or opt for an N805 instead. I don't really want to spend that much because the last time the Amplifier/Pre Amp cost me alot, but then I would never part with my Conrad-Johnsons just to get an HT.Any suggestions?
  • aarsoe
    • May 2004

A couple of questions to clarify..

Will you be using your power amp for the frontspeakers?
    Do you have in mind to keep the CJ preamp as well?
    What kind of configuration do you want? 5.1, 6.1, 7.1?
    Will you be using the same room as your current one for stereo? Do you have a tv set, and if so is it already placed between your speakers?

I assume yes to the first one, and thats no problem.
    Second one however will be tricky. IMHO you will most likely not find a processor that will sound as good as your pre-amp. All the digital conversion, even with straight through options degrades the signal.
    Only way to keep the signal clean would be to use a 5 channel pre-amp without processing and then only use the dvd player for processing.
    But that will cost you something on the home theater sound, unless you want to spend a lot on the player..

The reason I ask about the room is that putting a large object between your speakers changes the way they sound - if it is to the better or worse depends on your room..

Anyway you will most likely loose the CJ preamp, the question is only to what - and how it will sound.

Sorry if I am coursing concerns, but combining 2 channel and hometheather succesfully on the appenrent level you have is pretty tricky...

Comment

• aarsoe
      • May 2004

:smackbutt: :smackbutt: :smackbutt:

I think I have to retract something from my previous statement. Searching the web I see that your preamp have a hometheater pass through function...
      Dont, however know how it works, so I will just retract the thing about loosing your preamp... ops:

Comment

• JOY DIVISION
        • Aug 2004

You think I would be better off with something like the 600 Series or the CM Series and probably just pair it with a Rotel, just for HT? I just need the basic 5.1 and just stick with the Revels for the subwoofer, Would it work with 600 or the CM?, I mean not a whole lot carry the Revel B-15 anymore since they were saying that they have a new subwoofer out. It blended with the N803 very well.I would probably just put these in the family room and leave the CJ's setup in the living room. The only problem is the subwoofer, means that you have to move it from one room to another and they are heavy.Any good suggestion on subwoofers that would cost and blend well with the 600's and the CM series, I've heard B&W subs were good but when I heard the Revels, I was instantly hooked, the dealer was really keen on selling me the 850 B&w model but I like the way Revel sounded, he was explaining all the timber and accoustic balance, the REVEL was on sale so I bought it I don't know if that was a mistake but I'm pretty happy with the B-15 sound, Would another sub be equally good at $1000.00 less? My friends just tell me that i was nuts when I did my 2 channel and suggest me to follow their HT setup which consist of Bose, Denons, Sony's, Pioneer, i've heard their system and something lacks in there somewhere. i prefer to have something that you do not change for quite sometime and still save a lot of money in the long run. Rotel and B&W has the same distributor in the US, I was quite amaze, maybe they match well together. Thanks for the reply since going to the dealer would be doing yourself another tragedy?

Comment

• JOY DIVISION
          • Aug 2004

My wife and I spoke about that, me turning the 2 channel in a HT but she would not budge in to include a tv and other set of speakers cause she was the one who designed the living room and even picked the rack(the spider rack) now making the living room look like a piece of art and then ruin it with cables laying around, she was furious about that. I am pretty surprised though ever since we had the 2 channel setup, she seemed more eager to listen to music and started buying CD's more often, there was no argument in there, I feel that she really likes the setup too, but just probably not telling me. So as of now I would lean on the Rotel and B&W 601s for HT and the sub would be another journey. Thanks for the help I'm not really technical when it comes to something like this, I just thought what I heard was great.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"