X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

Nautilus 804 Reviews, Info, and Q&A

This thread will be the first of many threads dedicated to b&w models. I have tried several times since I came up with the idea to sit down and right a review on these speakers.

Oddly enough, I have had a difficult time. I started w/ b&w 604's s1 as my main speakers. Over the past year I upgraded them to N805's, which will, in time, get its own thread as well, and finally to the N804. Without going into too much detail, I prefer the 804's because of their fullness.

The accuracy of these speakers is incredible, and the color and depth is amazing. When listening to such things as the cantina theme on Star Wars a New Hope soundtrack, I can't help but feel excited. My soundstage no longer feels like 2 speakers in front of me, but becomes a 3 dimensional coloration (is that a word?) of aural stimulation.

These speakers, in my opinion require a seperate amp to drive them. When matched w/ just my rotel 1055, I noticed distortion at low levels. If you are considering them, keep in mind that the minimal I would recommend would be a rotel 1075 power amp, which I heard at a local shop and sounded nice.

These speakers are excellent mains for home theater, but MUST be paired with the HTM1 center. I had the HTM2 originally, and it would annoy the heck out of me when something would pan from one side to the other. It was quite evident the htm2 was just too thin a producer to keep up.

I use MIT Terminator2 cables, which are bi-wire and would not recommend trying to use regular speaker cables. These speakers are very sensitive and small changes, such as upgrading power cables, rca's and power supplies (such as a brick wall) can make a huge difference!
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...
  • Mark_C.
    • Jan 2003

My experience with the 804s is with a strictly two-channel setup. I have my 804s hooked up to a Classe CAP-101 integrated amp rated at 100 wpc. They are fantastic to look at in the cherry red finish, and their imaging and soundstage are incredible. Contrary to the usual thinking that Nautilus speakers demand huge amounts of power, they are actually quite efficient at 89 db. For my listening area, 100 wpc is plenty. I toyed with the idea of adding a 200 wpc outboard amp to the setup, but I had three salesman from three different local shops (B&W and Classe dealers) tell me I wouldn't notice much of a difference between 100 and 200 wpc. The consensus was that there would be an improvement if the speakers were Nautilus 803s, but not the 804s. I have always used my 804s for the laid back stuff (jazz, blues, acoustic) and saved the hard rock for my HT (Nautilus 805s with Velodyne HGS-10 sub power by Rotel gear). That recently changed with the addition of a Rel Storm III sub to the 804s. Now I'm rock 'n rolling with the 804s. They were always a little light in the bass department, and the Rel, with the crossover set at about 28 Hz really does the job of adding umph. Now this setup, finished off with a Sony 222ES SACD changer, can handle any type of music effortlessly.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Ray
      • Jun 2004

Hi,
      I'm not yet a B&W N804 owner, but will be a happy one within the next few weeks. I choose these speakers because of the detailed sound image.

I read in a review that these speakers are hard to position. Is this really so hard? When auditioning these speakers at a local store, I could move a bit to the left and right without disturbing the sound image. Is this just positioning, or is it the 804? My old speakers (KEF Reference Model One) creates just one spot for perfect listening.

Can someone give some tips on positioning these speakers in a room of 4m x 8m, and the ideal distance for listening? I know, its just try and listen, but I like to have some references.

Thanks,

Ray

Comment

• jazznsoccer
        • Apr 2004

If you position these along the 4m wall, I'd start with .75 - 1m away from each side wall and 1.5 m away from the back wall. I'd toe in the speakers just a small amount to point to your listening spot which should be 2 - 3 m back from the speakers.

If you position these along the 8m wall, I'd start with 2 m away from each side wall and .75 - 1m away from the back wall. I'd toe in the speakers just a small amount to point to your listening spot which should be 2 - 2.5 m back from the speakers (.5 - 1 m off the rear wall). [This would be my preferred orientation - not knowing any other factors like window, furniture or other impacts to the acoustics; room set up ; and SAF.]

YMMV, so try this and move around. Use of an SPL meter will help and they're inexpensive. See also this link http://www.audiophilia.com/hardware/spl.htm

Comment

• jazznsoccer
          • Apr 2004

Sikoniko,

Did you notice any soundstage compression when you add the brickwall? Some have reported this problem, but that may be related more to the industrial models rather than the newer audio model. What model are you using?

I also very much enjoyed the N804 which I thought compared favorably to the Polk LSi 15s. I am waiting for my N802s, so I don't have much to add based upon a short audition. Interested in your comments also on the HTM2 as I've only heard the HTM1 which is a fine center (I'm critical on music, HT is a nicety - the HTM1 provided clear and powerful control of the dialog, but is twicw the cost of the HTM2.) Perhaps that should be a separate thread when you get a round tuit...

Comment

• Ray
            • Jun 2004

Hi,
            Thanks for the tips and the link. I don't have a SPL yet, but when I buy the speakers, the people from the local store will bring them and install them, and they do have all the measure stuff.
            Ray

Comment

• sikoniko
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by jazznsoccer
              Sikoniko,

Did you notice any soundstage compression when you add the brickwall? Some have reported this problem, but that may be related more to the industrial models rather than the newer audio model. What model are you using?

I believe mine is the 2raud. It is the audio one. When I added it, it really warmed the sound up. I would relate the addition to the warmth of a tube.

My impression of these speakers is that they are very sensitive to the smallest of changes.

Interested in your comments also on the HTM2 as I've only heard the HTM1 which is a fine center (I'm critical on music, HT is a nicety - the HTM1 provided clear and powerful control of the dialog, but is twicw the cost of the HTM2.) Perhaps that should be a separate thread when you get a round tuit...
              I commented on the htm2 in the 805/htm2 thread i started last weekend.
              I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"