X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greggz
    • Jun 2002

Thoughts on the ASW800 or ASW850

Anybody spend any quality time demoing the two new Nautilus subs from B&W yet?

Any thoughts or links to reviews would be appreciated.
    Gregg

Our Home Theater
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

B&w Asw850

Greg,

Here's a review of the ASW850 here in Hi Fi Choice - where it ended up with the Editors Choice award.
    Highs: Build, power, astonishing definition, edge, melody and grip

Lows: May break windows, scare cats and alienate neighbours
    I heard them both at my local B&W dealer. The ASW800 was good but the ASW850 was astonishing and something to "lust after". It's a killer sub with a good balance of tight musical bass and deep HT punch - it goes as deep (14 Hz) as any sub I have ever heard and it is so tight and clean...

Geoff
    Last edited by Aussie Geoff; 02 May 2004, 03:30 Sunday.

Comment

• sikoniko
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

I have been wondering a lot about these subs. It would be nice to stay with the same manufacturer. Unfortunately none of my local dealers carry the b&w subs in the 800 or 850 flavor.

I would have to know the price was worth it, and that I couldnt just buy an svs for less and get the same value.

My other question is, would the 800 go better with 804's? It seems to me, without hearing them, that since the cones on the 804's are smaller, if I went to the 800, there would be a fluid range and little to no gap moving from speaker to sub, whereas the 850 might have some gap, since it is designed to be paired with the 802's, 801's and 800's (Sig as well).

Is my thinking right or flawed?
      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2003

Dan,

To help people reply can you provide some more information such as:
        1) The size of your listening room
        2) The mix of music and HT that you typically enjoy (e.g. 80% HT)
        3) How loud to you play music and HT
        4) What you are looking for in a sub

This will help with the sub recommendation. You may also want to post in the Home Theatre section and ask the question. I know you will get some serious SVS is great comparison.

My 2 cents:
        SVS is impossible to beat in the USA for serious HT bass - somthing like the PB2-Plus upwards are very serious indeed - and then there is the PB4-Plus whcih an acquaintance in Melbourne has and drools over (it can peel the skrting boards off your walls... The large B&Ws are designed specifically to blend in with the matching speakers though - at a price. If I had the 804, 803, 802 etc and could afford a ASW850 - it would be mine. If not - then something like a PB2-Ultra could put a smile on my face....

Geoff

Comment

• sikoniko
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

To help people reply can you provide some more information such as:
          1) The size of your listening room

I live in an apt at this point. My room is small right now. 12.4 x 11.8. I know my current setup is a lot for my room, but Im thinkin these speakers will last 10 to 20 years. at least the htm1 and the 804's.

I would like to have a seemless integration of my sound. especially across the front. This is why I am so curious about the subs, its just the price gives me such hesitency.

I don't really have any urgency to purchase a sub, but since I don't see myself upgrading the 804's or the htm1, I would like to keep the speakers in the same series.

2) The mix of music and HT that you typically enjoy (e.g. 80% HT)

I would say 80% HT, 20% music. When I get a house, I can seem my music listening going up.
          3) How loud to you play music and HT

I calibrated my system at 70 for a volume of 60 on my receiver and tend to listen to stuff between 50 and 55.

4) What you are looking for in a sub

seemless integration.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2003

Dan,

Interesting. It is a very small room for HT. I see you have the B&W ASW675 sub already -itself a good sub for a medium sized room.

Bass in small rooms can be very variable - essentially bass sound waves at 30 Hz are already longer than your room - so you can easily get really localised effects based on where the sub is placed relative to your seating position. Front Corner or front near centre is usually best.

One challenge with loud bass in some small rooms is that the bass can sometimes seem to "escape" and be louder outside the room that inside. Essentially the room can pressurise and the walls / floors transmit the sound energy to the outside (making the room like a large speaker box and boomy inside! This can be frustrating - especially for your neighbours. Are you getting this effect - or is the bass already much louder inside your room?

My sense is that in your current room you are just not going to get really deep bass - the room isn't large enough - so you would probably struggle to distinguish between the ASW800 and 850. You will need a larger room to be able to feel the depths to which the 850 can go...

So you may want to experiment with careful placing of yur ASW675 first - get the speaker distance for the sub and phase just right etc. When it is at its best - if you still want more - then it comes dowm to how long you will be in that appartment. If you will be moving soon to somethwere with a larger (think 21 x 14 ft) in (say <2-3 years) then the ASW 850 will be a good investment - otherwise the ASW800 may be as much bass as your room (and nieghbours) can handle....

Geoff

Comment

• sikoniko
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2003

actually, the sub i have is an AS-6. I bought it in 1997 with my s1 603's.

I know that most anything i buy is probably going to be too much, but im hoping what i buy lasts. i will be buying a house in a year or 2 and home theater will be on the back-burner at that point for a while.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2003

I can see a ASW850 in your future :-)

Dan,

Ah... An ASW6... I see...

Being net, given your desire for a long term investment that is guaranteed to:
                1) Blend in seamlessly with your B&W 804s
                2) Last the 10-15 years you are seeking
                3) Deliver excellent HT bass in your new house
                For me the ASW850 is the only safe answer. You may always just wish for that little but more if you settle on the 10 Inch ASW800. In a large room the difference is noticeable. In fact, I would run the ASW850 always on with the B&W 804s (crossed over at say 60 Hz), that way it will take some bass strain off the 804s and they will sound very close to their big brothers.

All that aside you will not get the full benefit in your room. Before investing, you should position the ASW6 as best you can and see what difference it makes. Also use a sound pressure level meter to set the sub-levels. IE you want to make sure it is blended in perfectly technically and you are still unhappy in your small room. However knowing the ASW6 - I suspect you will be happier after this but still "want more deep down"

Geoff

Comment

• DrBoom
                  • Dec 2003

For me the ASW850 is the only safe answer. You may always just wish for that little but more if you settle on the 10 Inch ASW800.
                  If I'm not mistaking, the ASW800 is a 12" sub, and the 850 is a 15" one.
                  The only 10" subs in the B&W range are the ASW-600 / 675 / CM / 700
                  I too would go for the 850, just to be on the safe side.

Comment

• sikoniko
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Aug 2003

ya, i tried putting the sub on the side, but it sounded funny coming from the side. it is in the ideal spot.

i really cant afford 3k for a sub right now.. i might talk to my dealer and work out a progressive trade up until i get there. i definately dont want to piss off my neighbors. i just want a seemless soundstage and tighter more accurate bass instead of bloated and lazy sounding.

Im just curious on you guys opinion, would you upgrade or leave it be and if not upgrade the bass, what would you upgrade? the tv is not an option. im holding out for a couple years before i go bigger. my system is on my personal page when you click on my name.
                    Last edited by sikoniko; 04 May 2004, 19:58 Tuesday.

Comment

• sikoniko
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Aug 2003

oddly enough, neither of the b&w dealers in the area carry the 800 series subs. I spoke with the dealer I purchased my other nautilus stuff from and he sells the velodynes to his higher level customers.

I asked him about the 850 and he said his rep has been trying to push the 850 on him and he was thinking about ordering it. I asked him if he did, if I could demo one if he did decide to order a couple. He said sure and he would order a couple on his next big order in a few weeks. So, while I won't be buying it, at least I will be able to report back on it, even if my room size is not adequite yet.

Comment

• aphexist
                        • Jan 2004

I auditioned the 850 with the 802s at my dealer.

While the cabinet looks VERY nice, I don't see the logic in staying within the same line unless you are obsessive about having the same look as the 804s and the HTM1 (which I also own). Obviously, the ASW850 doesn't have a Nautilus tweeter or a FST midrange, so integration won't be a problem. "Timbre matching" is only noticible (or me) in the mid to upper frequency range.

Since your room is so small (approx 12' x 12'), I would be more worried about the sound quality degradation you will face when trying to integrate such a large sub. The squarish shape of the room will reinforce the buildup of standing waves in the lower frequencies, resulting in an over-exaggerated and "boomy" sound, lacking tightness. A smaller sub would pressurize the room just as well, wouldn't take up as much space, would cost less, and would sound tighter.

I would take the $3000 and put it towards your down-payment so that you can get the house quicker. Either that, or get a SVS 25-31PC+ and get great performance from your current room for less than $800 without pissing off your neighbors with the aforementioned "speaker box" effect.

Comment

• sikoniko
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Aug 2003

Ya, I understand what you are saying. Those dimensions arent exactly accurate. That is the designated area of the room. The back wall has an openning into my office and facing the tv, the left side is open to the dinning room and kitchen, and a hallway that goes back to the bedroom and bathroom.

I'm just not too sure about the whole tube thing. I don't think my fiance will go for it, and I can't see to find anything that says their boxes are as good as the tubes. (for svs)

Comment

• aphexist
                            • Jan 2004

In that case, it might do pretty well.

I am pretty close to purchasing an SVS myself, so I may be biased. I have heard the SVS in my room, but not the 850. I might bring the 850 home for an audition this weekend. I will let you know if I do.

Comment

• sikoniko
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Aug 2003

If you do demo it, I would like to hear a comparison. I am all for purchasing the cheaper of the two if it is comparable. No need to throw money away just to say my sub is b&w.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"