X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tme
    • Mar 2004

Black touch up for cabinet?

Hi,

The finish on my B&W speakers is black ash. On some areas on the edges the paint has come off. Does anyone know of a good touch up paint to use?

Thanks.
  • Scarp
    • Mar 2003

I really wouldn't know. But if you would do this, then use paint for model planes and stuff, instead of the stuff you put on walls.

However, I would be very carefull when doing this. Maybe test it first at the bottom of your speaker and see if the color matches and that it doesn't damage anything. The bottom can't do much harm I think (and you don't see any damage there anyway).

Comment

• tme
      • Mar 2004

Thanks Scarp. I'll look for paint similar to the one for model planes, cars, etc. I agree that I should try a hidden area on the bottom first. I hope I don't mess anything up!!

Comment

• pf
        • Oct 2000

Bruce over @ AVS & AV123 is very good and knowledgeable in wood work and stain/paint etc (his hobby & trade). If you're not in a hurry I can contact him for you to see if he has any input on this since mine is also in black ash - not that I have any touching up to do right now but you never know.

PF

Comment

• tme
          • Mar 2004

Sure PF that would be awesome!! Thanks.

Comment

• pf
            • Oct 2000

Okay the following is the PM exchange I had with Bruce earlier on another forum.

Yes I have seen the black ash finish on a couple of my clients B&W's. It looks to be done with a pure black aniline dye, since the black is transparent and allows you to see the grain, IIRC.

The trick to doing touch-up, is two fold. Matching color (even in black there is a range of shades, i.e. some bluer than others) and then top coating the repair. This becomes an issue in knowing what kind of top coat finish was used by the manufacturer. Some repairs can be made using shellac as a top coat over the repair since it is compatible with virtually anything.

Black NGR (Non Grain Raising) Dye Stain is available at places like Woodcraft Supply or Rockler (I believe). The NGR Dye Stain is a water thin liquid using water soluble dye stain (powder) dissolved into a denatured alcohol base. Very strong stuff, a little bit goes a long way. Being so watery makes it tricky to apply, since it will run and drip easily. Probably better off wicking some onto a Q-tip to avoid runs. Picture of damage would help.

Good luck.

PF

Comment

• tme
              • Mar 2004

Thanks for the help PF and Bruce

I realized there is a Woodcraft store nearby that I could go to. I will look for the items Bruce mentions. Could I attach pictures to to a post? Or do I have to be hosting them on another site?

I also realized a scratch about 1 inch along the side of one of the speakers :cry: hopefully I can take care of it.

Comment

• pf
                • Oct 2000

I believe Bruce's username is 'Brucer' over @ AVS & AV123 forums. I got the above info via PM with him over @ AV123 so if you want to send him pics you may have to connect with him through those forums. Just say PF referred you and it'll be okay.

PF

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"