X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Amphiprion
    • Apr 2006

Can you spray paint styrofoam?

Hey guys,

A bit of an odd question, but this seems the best forum for it.

My headphones need a stand and I am thinking of painting a styrofoam wig head, but I don't know if the paint will eat the foam. I remember playing with styrofoam planes as a kid and certain glues would eat the styrofoam instead of gluing the wings back on.

My other alternative is to buy a skull replica and name it Yorick, but that's a bit more expensive than a $5 styrofoam head.
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Most paint will melt styrofoam. You may be stuck with "-poor Yorick". At least you can say you knew him , Horatio.
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Just use an oil or latex based paint and brush it on. Enamel will melt it.

Comment

• kgveteran
        • Oct 2005

Latex house paint. Kg
        Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !

Comment

• blownrx7
          • Dec 2004

Latex paint is available in a spray can

Krylon sells a spray can of latex paint. Available at places like Home Depot, Lowe's etc. It's a little pricey but fora small job like yours, it's the way to go. I made a DIY Diffuser - the kind that looks like a city skyline. The styrofoam was actually 2 inch insulation board that I cut on a table saw. I glued them onto a 2ft x 2ft peg board and painted it with the latex spray can and it came out terrific.

Comment

• kgveteran
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by blownrx7
            Krylon sells a spray can of latex paint. Available at places like Home Depot, Lowe's etc. It's a little pricey but fora small job like yours, it's the way to go. I made a DIY Diffuser - the kind that looks like a city skyline. The styrofoam was actually 2 inch insulation board that I cut on a table saw. I glued them onto a 2ft x 2ft peg board and painted it with the latex spray can and it came out terrific.
            Something like this...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0756.webp
Views:	44
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	944089
            Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 10:10 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location
            Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !

Comment

• mike93lx
              • Dec 2007

latex sounds like the right product, but if it is just $5, why not try it out?

Comment

• Bill Schneider
                • Sep 2007

I've been watching this thread for a while and want to pass along a reservation about using latex paint. It sometimes reacts with plasticizers found in plastic (especially vinyl) and in some rubber compounds.

Example #1: I painted the shelves some Lowe's MDF-over-steel shelving with latex wall paint. I store vinyl page binders on the shelves and it pulls a patch of paint free from the MDF when I take one out some 7 years later.

Example #2: I repainted my darkroom enlarger's baseboard with black latex enamel. When I'm not using it, I sometimes park cameras on the baseboard. My newer digital Nikon D2X has rubber coating on some of the grips, and after just 2 weeks of resting there, it pulled some of the paint off when I picked it up.

I'm not a chemist, but I did want to pass along my concern because you may have rubber earcups (if the headphones pads aren't foam) in tight contact with the paint.

It's something to watch for.
                My audio projects:
                https://www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

• Hank
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jul 2002

Mark, HD sells Krylon spray paint made specifically for plastic. Read the label and see if it says anything about styrofoam.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"