X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Atorak
    • Feb 2004

Cabling for HTM1 and N804s?

I currently have 3 x 10' lengths of Monster MCX-1 speaker cable running into my N804s, and I will soon be purchasing the HTM1 to compliment them. So, I need some recommendations on speaker wire.

I know the N804s tend to be a little on the bright side, so perhaps a cable that could tame them down a bit.

Also, I need them in fairly long lengths, because it is a big sized home theater room, so around 15' lengths. I should buy all three the same size, correct? Does anyone else Bi-Wire the HTM1, because I heard it was a wise decision.

Im not willing to spend 1,000s of dollars on cables, but something that is better than my monsters, I would be willing to take a look at. Thanks!
  • Scarp
    • Mar 2003

Hi,

Indeed it is a good idea to have all cables the same length. Although some people might not notice it all, it can never hurt at all.

I have very good experiences with Kimber cables on B&W. They are a good match usually. The kimbers give a little kick in the middle ranges of the B&W. Also they are sold per metre.

Monster aren't very great cables and I often find them not even better then standard copper wire.

Bi-wiring can be a good thing, however I have single wire and made little bridges from left over cable from the same type. This gives an equal performance.

You could also take a look at the cables from the forum sponsor offcourse

Comment

• sikoniko
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

I am using MIT Terminator2 bi-wire for my speakers (htm1 & n804's) and I think the combo is amazing. They dont sell my model anymore so I do not know what would be comparable with their current line-up.
      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Atorak
        • Feb 2004

Thanks for the recommendations guys.

Right now, I have those AudioQuest King Cobras from 1068 to 1075, but I am hesitant about switching companies for the speaker cables. Does it really matter? I thought it would be better for me to go with a set of AudioQuest Bedrocks, or maybe a CV-6 and a bass type for BiWiring.

Other than that, ive been considering the Kimber 8TCs (biwire or not?), and a few MITs. Not sure if I really need to biwire, especially if I get a pair of 8TCs, or the Bedrocks.

Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Comment

• DrBoom
          • Dec 2003

Hi,
          I also have the 804's and 1075 amp, but with the 1098, but it should sound quite the same as your setup.
          I'm currently using a Kimber 8TC for the bass and a 4TC for the mid/high.
          This combination sounds very smooth, and very well balanced.
          No peaks or dips in the frequency response, no harshness, no grainyness.
          The 8TC is good for bass because it has a low inductance, about 1/3 of the 4TC.
          The 4TC however is better for high frequencies because of it's much lower capacitance.
          If you have too much bass you could try bi-wiring 4TC, it's a bit leaner in the bass then the 8TC, not much though.
          My interlinks are Van Den Hul D102 MkIII's, which work quite well with the Kimber, didn't make much improvement by switching to Kimber PBJ interlinks so I just left it the way it is.
          I would definitely advise to use bi-wiring, it really makes a large improvement on the Nautilus speakers.
          It really opens up the sound, makes it a lot more detailed, but as always try before you buy.

I've also found Nordost to be very nice, very detailed and with more highs than the Kimber, midrange is a bit less full, and bass is a lot leaner but still good.

How are those Audioquests working out for you ?
          If I ever see the chance I'm definitely going to try a pair of AQ's, very curious how their cables perform.

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Guys, your drifting off the primary topic of this forum which is B & W speakers. Next thing you know, we are all the way back to the source components, and that's not what this club is about.

As you know, as owner of CAT Cables and Quantum Cable, I watch cable threads very closely as we are not going to become a proving ground for the mulititude of cable brands out there. Cable discussions really need to occur on our sister forum www.thecableforum.com, where you'll need to register first. I allow all competitive threads there. Let's say that's with a purpose. If that forum ever takes off, well, I am at the right place as administrator to advertise my cable companies. So, by encouraging HTG members to join and post there, I am helping that effort.

I'll make a few comments, then we'll consider this thread closed.

Atorak, while certain combinations may have more synergy than others, the idea that you need to stick to the same brand is well, myth. I'll tell you that, I'll tell my customers that. There is no problem with mixing cables of differing brands.

On that topic, with Cattails, your not only getting Cat quality construction, but your also getting base wire from a top manufacturer. While I don't reveal sources, I can tell you that they are a major player. Our plus bananas are even styled after a popular WBT connector.

Someday we'll be designing our own base wire, but for now, Cattails offers excellent performance at prices that are down to earth. They are High conductivity oxygen free copper in teflon, directional from the factory, and cooked on my cable cooker to further condition them for your listening pleasure. They can easily be setup for bi-wire. I offer several termination options, including WBT spades and bananas, at least for the short term.

Now, if money was no object, I'd be hard pressed not to recommend Quantum Silver Centauri Reference cables. But then, we are up to that grand about for 3 cables.

If you have any questions, email me.

Doug
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Scarp
              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Atorak
              I know the N804s tend to be a little on the bright side, so perhaps a cable that could tame them down a bit.
              This is actually the primary topic here. Which cables could tame the bright side of an N804. Actually I think there is a bit you can do with cables, but you cannot change the character of a speaker with it. Actually, the best cables should not change anything, i.e., be as neutral as possible.

You could try to change your components, however the speaker is as it is.

Comment

• Atorak
                • Feb 2004

I know it is the cables. I just bought all brand-new equipment, from two manufacturers who constantly work together in the industry. And I agree, this is most definately a B&W question, im asking what cables go well with their products!

I am actually thinking about getting the DH Labs Q-10s, because a number of people with N804s are having excellent results with them. Although, I am not sure if I should bi-wire it or not. I heard that the Q-10s on the bottom, and the T-14s on top are a good combination. Anyone else do something similiar, or use DH Labs products on their B&Ws?

Comment

• sikoniko
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2003

I guess the issue would be what you call bright.

I can tell you that my 804's sound very warm. This is the result of several factors though, not just speaker wire.

I'll give it to you in order of upgrades and significance only relative to 804's.

1055 Receiver w/ MIT T2 BiWires plugged into panamax 5100
                  Upgrade to VanHaus power supply added some warmth.

Added Earthquake 300wpc power amp w/ AQ Diamond Back interconnect and BP power cable yielded more warmth.

Added brick wall 2raud plugged into wall, amp plugged into brick wall, panamax plugged into brick wall for rest of devices (lack of outlets).
                  warmed tone up to near tube sound.

I dont believe that just speaker wire is the answer. I believe it is a factor, but not the deciding point.

The biggest difference I noticed from bi-wiring is a distinct seperation of instruments. They stand out, and are more pronounced and distinguishable. This made the sound full, and more exciting for me.
                  I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"