X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alpina
    • Nov 2005

please help me make sense of cabling?

guys,

i think the most confusing purchase decision when it comes to home theatre setups is cabling.

how do you know what to get? what gauge, what material, biwire or not etc etc? how much $$$ is enough?

our front speakers will need cabling lengths appoximately 5mts with rears (5.1 setup) needing 15mts.

rear speakers are 705s with front either going to be 703/htm4 or 804/htm3 or better amp looking to be bryston powered. sub is aws750.

we are doing roof work atm and need to finalise/install cabling.

very new to all this so if more info is required please let me know.

please assist

julie
    My setup so far: Pioneer PDP-506HD, Sony DST-HD500, Bryston SP2, Bryston 6B SST, Bryston 4B SST, Pioneer DV-989AViS, CD Player TBC, Belkin PF60, B&W 804s, HTM3S, B&W 705s, B&W ASW750, Logitech Harmony 880
  • Kobus
    • Aug 2005

Put lots of conduits in.

Research...

If you are not into SACD/DVD-Audio then your rear speaker cables can be cheap, but a decent gauge.

For the rest, you will get lots of differing opinions.

Enjoy

Kobus

Comment

• miner
      • Mar 2005

Go to www.impactacoustics.com for some decent (for the $$) in-wall grade 4X14ga biwire.

Comment

• Alaric
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

Doug can help you

Try checking with Doug (Lex). CAT cables is a forum sponsor and I was very impressed with the the build quality , sound quality , and advice. Doug is very knowledgeable , and the CAT prices are a real bargain when you see/hear the product. Many happy customers here so you can check feedback on CAT throughout this forum.
        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
        Schiit Modi 3
        Marantz CD5005
        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

if not me, perhaps Geoff in Australia can be of some assistance. I do mostly help with out of the install cabling, not so much in wall stuff.

He's moderator of rotel and B & W sections here Julie, contact Geoff, he's a great guy that can help you with Aussie stuff if need be anyway. Geoff does use a lot of CAT Cables as far as interconnects.

Miner, please watch the cable links, as they sell a lot more than in wall. She really needs assistance more than links, as far as bulk wire, it will be better for someone in Australia to purchase Australian bulk wire-

Doug
          CATCables.com
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• alpina
            • Nov 2005

Hi Doug,

As you can see i'd love some advice

Will contact Geoff also as per your advice

We are lifting the roof soon to fit our aircon and its the perfect opportunity to do the wiring at the same time

no idea if we need 10, 12, 14, 16 gauge. obviously we want some quality gear but sometimes we wonder how much is enough? u can pay a ridiculous amount of money for cable and really we don't know where to start.

we fulling appreciate that you have to pay top dollar to get cutting edge technology but having said this we are happy to go with 95% optimum vs 100% optimum if the extra 5% means a doubling in price if that makes sense?

cheers,

julie
            My setup so far: Pioneer PDP-506HD, Sony DST-HD500, Bryston SP2, Bryston 6B SST, Bryston 4B SST, Pioneer DV-989AViS, CD Player TBC, Belkin PF60, B&W 804s, HTM3S, B&W 705s, B&W ASW750, Logitech Harmony 880

Comment

• Leef DaLucky
              • May 2003

Hi Julie,
              Although i won't make any reccomendations as far as brand/material goes, I would certainly recommend you research the benefits of bi-wiring. A lot of enthusiasts embrace it, and some only see a negligible difference from traditional wiring.

But regardless, you basically have 2 directions because of your wiring lengths.

if you go bi-wired, i'd suggest 4x14gauge.
              if you decide to keep it traditional, i'd go with the slightly thicker 2x12gauge.
              Personally, i would try to keep all the speaker wiring the same, whatever your decision is.

I'm guessing you don't have a lot of time to play with.
              good luck researching,
              Mikey
              "...Because Good is Dumb...!"
              -Dark Helmet

Comment

• miner
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Lex
                if not me, perhaps Geoff in Australia can be of some assistance. I do mostly help with out of the install cabling, not so much in wall stuff.

He's moderator of rotel and B & W sections here Julie, contact Geoff, he's a great guy that can help you with Aussie stuff if need be anyway. Geoff does use a lot of CAT Cables as far as interconnects.

Miner, please watch the cable links, as they sell a lot more than in wall. She really needs assistance more than links, as far as bulk wire, it will be better for someone in Australia to purchase Australian bulk wire-

Doug
                CATCables.com
                Sorry Doug, won't happen again. What they sell cable wise is not up to your quality/standards.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2003

Julie,

All done by PM - including some great in-wall bi-wiring cable.

Hope you like it. Your new system should be excellent... I'm excited for you

Geoff

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"