X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Energeezer
    • Sep 2002

Rotel and Cabling

I have been using a 1055 as pre pro to a 1075 for about 6 months now to drive Paradigm Studio 60s and a servo 15 sub. My source for 2 channel is a Cambridge audio D300 CD Player and for movies is a HTPC.
    The HTPC is kinda hopeless I guess and I think most PCs are inferior in sound to the best dvd players. Not really a problem for me since my critical listening is always 2 channel red book cd for now.
    Anyhow I have been quite happy with the 2 channel sound but always looking for improvement. On the verge of buying an Arcam Alpha 9 or Musical Fidelity A3CD player I decieded to upgrade some of my cabling first.
    My old speaker cable was anchient monster cable. Real heavy but really just glorified lamp cord. The interconnects were Kimber PBJ.
    First upgrade was the speaker cable. I had felt that my sys was lacking a little detail so the local hi-fi shop recommended I try some Totem silver speaker cable since I need 2X25 foot runs and these were fairly cheap. These cables are light gauge and I was skeptical but they were loaning them to me so what did I have to lose. So in they went and voila. After break in a huge improvement in detail but I felt the sound became a little too bright. Back to the shop and a recommendation I change out my PBJs for some Heros. Again a huge improvement to the point I am almost there. (dont think I'll ever really get there but that is the fun) The sound was real good but I felt the bass was a little muddled amd lacking depth. Just for fun i tried swapping out my sub cable with another cable I had on hand that is very old but at the time I felt was real good. Jackpot. Bass is great now. The depth and slam has really improved and it has lost that muddled tinge. I hate to assess a number to it but I would say these cable changes have made at least a 15% improvement in sound.
    The problem now is that my obsession is spinning outa control and I find myself looking at used Gamut cd players and its piers. Please help me. LOL
    Anyhow I really wanted to get the point across that this Rotel equipment is NOT living up to its potential if you go bargain basement on cables both speaker and interconnect. Used cables can be had at a fraction of new and they are already burned in.
    Many people believe that a cable is a cable but I am telling you this is not true. Maybe spending huge bucks on cabling is stupid but do yourself a favor and try to borrow some decent mid line cables and give it a try. The local hi-fi shop here in WPG will lend out almost any cable cause they know the difference can be huge and are confident they will not be returned.
    Now they want me to try an exotic powercord. Oh Noooooooooo
    Steve

The Future of HT lies in FP SPREAD THE WORD
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

energeezer,

Oh now you've done it with the opening up of cans of worms and all.

First, before we get into all of that, I want to applaud your taste in CD players. I own a lesser Arcam and love it. Remember, people also say a bit is a bit and, therefore, all CD players should sound about the same, which is absolutely not true.

Same thing is said about cabling. I've heard it described as snake oil sales and, in fact, to some extent I agree. I just won't ever be able to justify spending a couple of thousand dollars on, let's say, interconnects which might not yield a significant difference. Yet, I don't believe at all that cables don't make a difference. If that was so, everybody should just stick with the cables that come packaged with the gear. As a matter of fact, I think Arcam CD players don't even ship with cables because they know that anyone buying their equipment is going to want to buy a quality cable which best suits their system. For instance, the silver cable you used has, I've heard, the characteristics of more detail and less roll off at the top end. When I was buying some audio cables from Lex (Doug), he recommended that I not buy silver cats in that I have already bright speakers. There is a synergy between the equipment you use and the cables used.

Being that I"m basically of a cheap nature, what I personally look for when buying cables is build quality and craftsmanship, someone who will customize to my specific needs, quality materials, and the like for what I consider a good price, something that, imho, I find through companies such as Catcables. Although, I've also been happy with companies such as Rhino.

Keith
    Keith

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Many people believe that a cable is a cable but I am telling you this is not true.
      :^x arty:

Maybe spending huge bucks on cabling is stupid but do yourself a favor and try to borrow some decent mid line cables and give it a try.
      I couldn't agree more. That's why my company is founded on the basis of providing high value for dollar spent. It's actually becoming even more true as I'm redesigning some cables to bring costs down further, and introducing new models at lower price points. You don't have to spend a lot to have great cables that improve your system.

Lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Danbry39
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2002

I'm redesigning some cables to bring costs down further, and introducing new models at lower price points.
        :T A good thing made even better.

Keith
        Keith

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

i've sen some of Lex's new cables and they look great...and are priced very nicely:T

Steve which dealer were you working with?

Comment

• spiffnme
            • Apr 2003

I was going to post a new thread, but saw this one...

Most everyone agrees that the power cord supplied with Rotel products sucks. I don't know about a newer power cable making my equipment sound better, but I do know that the cords supplied with my 1066 and 1075 amp barely even stay plugged in.

What have most of you replaced these cords with? Keep in mind I'm CHEAP. If it's not going to make me weep with joy over the sound improvement, I'm not going to pay more than $30-40 for a new cord - I'll just keep what came with them.

Thanks!

www.funnyfarmcomics.net
            All Daredevil, All the Time!

Comment

• Energeezer
              • Sep 2002

Andrew
              I normally do not post which dealer or how much money spent. As you know I have had some troubles as well as good experiences with a dealer where we have a mutual say friend. I have posted some of these experiences mostly @ another forum since he frequents it but have never disclosed the dealers name or enough info for anyone without experience there to figure it out.
              I would like people to benefit from my experiences both good and bad but will not promote or bad mouth any dealer by name in a public forum. It is just a policy I have.
              I will however PM you with the name and some more details.
              Steve

Comment

• Energeezer
                • Sep 2002

Keith
                Seems we agree on all except one thing. I would not consider Arcam a lesser player and I hope you really just meant one of the lower models in the line. I gave Arcam real consideration when I bought the Cambridge but @ the time I could not afford the 7SE I wanted so I went for the Cambridge. Worked out OK but I still fell the 7 and higher are better players. I have since done head to heads with a a friends Arcam 6 and my Cambridge. Real close but I think the 7 would better it.
                Lex
                I must apologize. I kinda forgot about the Cat Cables when I went shall we say impulse shopping. Andrew also in WPG had offered to let me try some of his Cats (if I remember correctly) but I just plain forgot. I'd be interested in trying silver Cats still.
                And I do feel ultra expensive cables are 90% snake oil but frrl your company has the right idea :
                Steve

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

Thanks Energeezer, I appreciate the afterthought. :LOL:

Thanks Andrew, I'm not done yet either. In fact, I am just truly getting warmed up!

energeezer, I'd like to direct you to the newest silver cable I have to offer. Custom in house geometry, copper shielded at the source for RFI/EMI resistance, Bullet connectors, the Kingcat! Just go to the main page and go to Kingcat, hard to miss. I auditioned some at great length over the weekend. Awesome. A lot of work goes into a pair of those, but well worth the effort I think.

Lex
                  Doug

Comment

• Danbry39
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Sep 2002

energeezer,

Then we agree on everything. What I meant was an Arcam model that's lower in their model line. I own the 72T and it's the best player I've ever owned (out of quite a few). I really did audition a lot of the players commonly recommended and, for my budget and taste, the 72T was the best. Besides, the dealer gave me an absolutely amazing deal.

Keith
                    Keith

Comment

• spiffnme
                      • Apr 2003

Maybe I should have posted my question in a separate thread...did no one even read my question?

www.funnyfarmcomics.net

Comment

• Danbry39
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Sep 2002

spiffnme,

Sorry nobody responded. I too don't understand why Rotel uses such a loose fitting power cord. You'd have thought that they'd have addressed this issue as it is a nuisance. My only problem with advising you on this is that I'm not sure if other power cords would fit more snuggly or not as I still continue to use the one that came with the unit. I don't even want to get into the debate as to whether power cords can have a sonic impact on your system. I only have one OEM power cord on anything and that is one by Transparent which the dealer gave me for free when I was buying my Arcam CD player.

Here's a link to a discussion in Club Rotel a while back on power cords.
                        You might find some information there.
                        Click here

Keith
                        Keith

Comment

• spiffnme
                          • Apr 2003

Thanks for the tip...I'll check that thread out.

www.funnyfarmcomics.net

Comment

• Lex
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Apr 2001

If I start building power cords, I will let you know, but right now, I am only selling the Eichmann Power Express which is a good bit more expensive than 30-40 bucks.

Lex
                            Doug

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"