X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hamiltong
    • Feb 2003

5 x B&W 805 - Concern about CNTR SPKR

Would anyone be concerned with using all Nautilus 805 speakers for a 5.1 system as opposed to four Nautilus 805 and an HTM center speaker?

During my years of upgrading B&W speakers (300, 600, CDM NT series - mixing bookshelf, floorstanding, etc - all within the same range), I'll be honest in saying that, the most memorable surround experience I had was with five 602 speakers.

I currently have two CDM NT 7's and CDM 3 NT 1's and looking to upgrade to the Nautilus line.

-greg
  • Scarp
    • Mar 2003

Actually, using 5 identical speakers will give the best integration, when also using the same cables and amplification for all of those speakers.

A demo was given by B&W a while ago with 5 B&W 800 models and that was quit impressive.

The only problem is that they cannot guarantee that your one extra speaker will match color wise. But I think they do sell them seperate.

Another problem is offcourse that 805's are not magnetically shielded, so I do not recommend putting them on a TV. However if you are using a projector this should not be a problem.

Another problem is the height of the center. You should put all 5 speakers on the same level, this could be problem when using an 805 as a center. The HTM2 or HTM1 can be a bit lower an pointing upwards.

Comment

• sikoniko
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

I had the 805's and the htm2 center, and from my experience, the sound field is seemless. The htm2 basically is an 805. It may have a little more volume, but I would recommend the htm2 instead of trying to use an 805 as a center. you won't be disappointed. Make sure you get a good sub or two though. I felt like this setup was great, but lacked the fullness that you get from a floor standing speaker.

I have tried to purchase 1 speaker before, and the dealers have run into issues of getting just 1 also. They were going to check B-stock, but when they buy, they have to buy in pairs. That is odd to me because they do not price them in pairs.
      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• SomaJoe
        • Jul 2003

I'm using 4 805's and 1 HTM2 and have been very pleased. If you can place the 5th 805 correctly, I think that will be a winner over the HTM2, particularly for multi channel audio; my front is not entirely seamless, but I haven't gotten a proper stand for my HTM2 so I can raise it for audio, and lower it but tilt it upwards for movies.

Joe's HT
        Joe's HT

Comment

• zpkingfw
          • Mar 2004

I have an all N805 set up and I must say it is amazing, sonics are seamless. To the contrary, the N805 are magnetically shielded, I have my center channel placed above my HDTV. I considered the HTM2 but I listen to lots of multichannel SACD's and wanted absolutely seamless integration of all channels, after listening to a friends set up of the same type I was sold. You can't lose either way, I've been very pleased with my set up.

Comment

• Mark_C.
            • Jan 2003

I have the 805s with the HTM2 across the front for our HT. The HTM2 mating with the 805s truly is seemless. Great front end!

Comment

• Scarp
              • Mar 2003

I do think you really should consider the practical issues with using a 805 as center:
              • * Positioning is more critical. It should really be on the same height as the others. It radiates a little less wide, so your sweet spot is small.
                * Getting hold of one 805 isn't that easy. Some dealers don't want to do it.
                * They cannot guarantee that the wood finish is the same.

Besides that, the HTM2 will integrate also fine within an 805 setup.

Comment

• Nicholas Renter
                • Jun 2002

Before I dumped all of my HT gear, I had 4 N805s and an HTM-2. I can assure you the the sound across the front sound stage was seamless. However, it wasn't always that way. It took nearly 3 years to break in the HTM-2 becasue of the little attention it received. Once it did break in, the sound was seamless. Until then, there was a definate difference.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"