How to get my 600 series to sing? (amp question)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CarlosM
    • Feb 2004

How to get my 600 series to sing? (amp question)

I've been slowly compiling my B&W collection for the past few months now, and i'll soon begin saving for an external amp. Right now my reciever is an HK AVR-230 and i do NOT want to change it (recently purchased, and i am happy with its features).

I would, however, like to get an external amp, and so here I stand before you, masters of the B&W realm: what amp for me?

Right now i own:
    L/R/; 602 s3
    Center; LCR60
    Surrounds; 601 s3.

I am a college student on an extreme budget (im looking in the ~$400-600 range.. used if necessary).. I'd love to get an amp to power my mains, and center, while running the surrounds off the HK (while it is weak, I am not concerned w/ the surrounds and would rather make my fronts shine).

A rotel is a top choice as.. well.. it seems to be everyones choice for the b&ws.. but i am very uneducated on what brands are cherry.. my understanding is basic, and rests in features in like noise ratios, and continuous power over all channels with low distortions.

thank you, wise folk of the HTGuide.
  • Scarp
    • Mar 2003

Try getting hold of a second hand Rotel RMB1075 or even one of its predecesors like the RMB991 or 993 (three channels I think).

Otherwise take a look at the RMB1066, which can be run in either 6 or 3 channels (bridged mode).

I do recommend getting equal amps for the two fronts and center speakers, so the 1066 might be a nice (and not that expensive) option.

Comment

• twitchie
      • Apr 2003

Even less mentioned than the RMB1066 is the predecessor to the 1066 - the 976, which has very similar specs, but can usually be found for less than a 1066. On that same note, the 985 MKII is spec'ed very close to it's replacement the 1075, and can often be found right in your price range on audiogon.

Comment

• Scarp
        • Mar 2003

Yes, any of the predecessors can be found for good prices and are close to their new models. The biggest difference is that some don't have the same look as the current series and that they only come in black color.

Performance wise they are close.

Comment

• CarlosM
          • Feb 2004

thanks for the replies, Scarp & Twichie. I had a couple more questions regarding the amps.

I'm not 100% on it, but i think im moving towards getting a stereo amp, instead of a multichannel setup. What's the predecessor to the 1070 stereo amp?

Tonight I heard a parasound hooked up to some Paradigm Monitor's and Signature series (was helping my dad demo some speakers), and found the parasound prices for amount of power to be rather good. My question is: What other amp brands, besides Rotel, will give me great results (right now im just using the power in my HK AVR-230.. 50watts/chan). Are parasound's trustworthy? it's also become appearant my budget isnt even as high as $600, but is more along the lines of $400 including shipping.

Thank you very much!

Comment

• annex666
            • Apr 2004

I too am a student and own speakers in the DM600 range:

DM603-S3 fronts
            DM601-S3 rears
            LCR60 center

I was looking into making the upgrade from my current combo home cinema box (Sony STR-DB940 - good in its day) to seperates and like the look and build quality of the Rotels and I have heard some very good things.

I was considering either the RSP-1066/RSP-1068 as the processor and the RMB-1066/RMB-1075 as the power-amp.

Can anyone point out the differences between the two processors (along with UK prices as dealers in the UK have been reluctant to tell me via email!).

My decision on the power amp is going to be one of price - does anyone know the UK price of the RMB-1075? (I have found the RMB-1066 for £600, which seems reasonable, but people don't seem to rate it as highly as the RMB-1075).

Sorry to thread-jack, if replies to my question become too much of a problem I'll start a new thread and post a link.

Thanks all for looking

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"