X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RedStep
    • Sep 2002

Club B&W

Ahhhh the sound is in the air, Brittish engineering at it's finest....
    (even if LarryB wouldn't agree :-)

I could talk for hours, Let's get it on

RedStep
    We are truly a product of the decisions we make
    RedStep
  • RedStep
    • Sep 2002

I'm not worthy :amen:

RedStep
    RedStep

Comment

• RedStep
      • Sep 2002

OK, I'm getting there :LOL:

Matrix Bracing, Kevlar fixed suspension transducer, tube loaded technology...

Let's talk it up

RedStep
      RedStep

Comment

• RedStep
        • Sep 2002

OK, I'll talk to myself 8O (is this suspose to mean your crazy) Anyway...Square boxes called speaker cabinets are suspose to be the worse at creating unwanted resonances. I like the way the B&W Nautilus 800 series use curved cabinets and internal bracing to reduce coloration.

RedStep
        RedStep

Comment

• RedStep
          • Sep 2002

Yea Red...They also seperated the mid range and the tweet into their own housings with the invention of spherical tubes. This is suspose to thake those unwanted resonances away to the back and through the tube to infinity...To Infinity and beyond ops: OK that's bad I know....

RedStep
          RedStep

Comment

• SomaJoe
            • Jul 2003

So how long did everyone need to wait before they were truly convinced their speakers sounded best? I've got 4 Nautilus 805's and 1 HTM2. The first week of listening, I almost thought my ears would burst because ths highs were so harsh. They've started to calm down now and finally starting to sound more like what I heard at the dealer.

joe

Joe's HT
            Joe's HT

Comment

• RedStep
              • Sep 2002

Joe, I'm glad they came around to your liking...How long have you had them now?
              Question: Why did you decided to go with the HTM2...Did it sound close to the HTM1, and did you think the HTM1 was worth the extra $1K

RedStep
              RedStep

Comment

• SomaJoe
                • Jul 2003

Originally posted by redstep
                Joe, I'm glad they came around to your liking...How long have you had them now?
                Question: Why did you decided to go with the HTM2...Did it sound close to the HTM1, and did you think the HTM1 was worth the extra $1K
                I've had them for about 3 weeks now. I was REALLY worried the first couple of days, when my ears kept ringing after listening. I drove them non-stop for a couple of days, which definitely helped. I haven't received my stands yet either.

I got the HTM2 because of the size, and because I actually thought it matched the N805's better than the HTM1.

Which speaker do u have?

-joe

Joe's HT
                Joe's HT

Comment

• RedStep
                  • Sep 2002

Well Joe, I can only dream at this time
                  The goal next year is to have N804 w/HTM1, B&W in-wall surrounds & Sub...all being pushed with the coveted B&K REF 50 & 200.5
                  What kind of metal you have pushing those beauties???

RedStep
                  RedStep

Comment

• SomaJoe
                    • Jul 2003

I'm using a Rotel RMB-1075 5 channel AMP, and a Rotel RSP-1066 Pre/pro. Music source is a Marantz DV8400 (SACD/DVD-A/CD). 5 Nautilus speakers for multichannel music is really an amazing experience, and will hopefully get even better once all the stands are in place and I replace my speaker cables.

DVD player is a Bravo D1. Plus an X-box and PS2 and Tivo.

My stands just shipped yesterday!!!

Joe's HT
                    Joe's HT

Comment

• SomaJoe
                      • Jul 2003

The N804 and the HTM1 are a great match. I listened to them as well. What are you thinking for a sub?

Joe's HT
                      Joe's HT

Comment

• RedStep
                        • Sep 2002

Great gear...Rotel would be my second choice, And I think I'd stick with the RSP1066 vs. the 1098 (I've heard some problems) anyway have you visited Club Rotel???

Sub??? I think I'll probably go with an REL or mabe a B&W...haven't done any extensive listening to subs yet. Any suggestions???

I thought about saving that $$$ and steping up to the 803's

RedStep
                        RedStep

Comment

• RedStep
                          • Sep 2002

Joe, tell me how do you like the Marantz DV8400, not only for movies, but also for music CD's. I want one player for both!

I have read some great reviews, an upgrade from the DV8300 for Marantz. I was looking between the DV8400 and the Denon DVD3800.

RedStep
                          RedStep

Comment

• SomaJoe
                            • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Redstep
                            Great gear...Rotel would be my second choice, And I think I'd stick with the RSP1066 vs. the 1098 (I've heard some problems) anyway have you visited Club Rotel???
                            Yup! That's how I found this place. I was getting the double bass problem with my 1066.

Sub??? I think I'll probably go with an REL or mabe a B&W...haven't done any extensive listening to subs yet. Any suggestions???
                            Right now I'm using my B&W ASW500, which I had paired with my DM601's and VM-1 before the N805s. It's OK, but it doesn't really integrate that well with the N805s. Most likely, I'll be gettting a Rel Storm 3; it's supposed to be a great match for the 805s.

Joe's HT
                            Joe's HT

Comment

• SomaJoe
                              • Jul 2003

Joe, tell me how do you like the Marantz DV8400, not only for movies, but also for music CD's. I want one player for both!

I have read some great reviews, an upgrade from the DV8300 for Marantz. I was looking between the DV8400 and the Denon DVD3800.
                              I use the DV8400 pretty much for audio only. I spent a few hours with the Denon 2900 and the Marantz. They are both very good universal players, but I thought the Marantz sounded better with SACD and CD's. On the downside, my test DVD-A disk wouldn't play at all on the Marantz, so there could be some compatibility issues; so far, I haven't found any others that won't play. I found the Marantz's soundstage a bit deeper than the Denon, and I found stereo imaging to be better as well. On redbook CD, the DV8400 sounds significantly better than my last CD player, which was a Sony ES model (don't remember the model, but it was at least 5 years old). By comparison, I REALLY didn't like the DV8300; it's SACD sound was thin and not very lively at all.

Despite the information on Marantz's website, there is no bass management for either SACD or DVD-A, so I've been using the Outlaw ICBM which works great. As for timing issues, I've pretty much just placed my main listening area for multichannel music pretty much equidistant from all speakers, which not everyone can do of course.

Since the DVI output isn't enabled on the Marantz player, I don't know what its picture quality will be like through the digital output. The 8400 DOES have the chroma bug, and when viewed through the component outputs at 480p and into my scaler, I think it's unwatchable when displayed through a projector. At 480i though the component output, my scaler produces a better picture than the Marantz. But it still can't touch the Bravo D1 using its DVI output, which is rather troubling, considering the price difference. When the DVI output is enabled, I'm hoping that 480p through DVI will look better, but I'm not counting on it. In fact, I suspect it will just make the CUE even more obvious.

I haven't gotten around to trying the 480p component output to my HDTV, so it might look better though a CRT display.

So in conclusion, for SACD/CD/DVD-A, I highly recommend it. For DVD video, you might want to consider something else.

-joe

Joe's HT
                              Joe's HT

Comment

• SomaJoe
                                • Jul 2003

There's finally some new information about the new B&W 700 series posted on their website.

Joe's HT
                                Joe's HT

Comment

• Joseki
                                  • Sep 2003

Hello,

I have a couple of questions for you B&W folks. But first a bit of background. I have a pair of CDM-7SE's for the mains, a CDM-CSE center, and two DM601's for surrounds. My sub is the ASW-2000. All of these items were purchased in early 1999.

My first question is about the sub. How does it rank in comparison to some of the newer stuff like SVS? It is presently in a corner and it seems a bit boomy to me. Unfortunately, I have limited leeway in terms of moving the sub. Also, would you consider this to be a musical sub (which I consider to be more important.)?

My next question is about amplification. My current setup involves the Denon AVR-5700 but I am moving on to the Rotel separates. So in terms of the amp, should I go with the 1095 (200 x 5) or will the 1075 (125 x 5)be enough? The mains are only rated to 150 watts and have a 90db sensitivity per the specs. Would they benefit from the increased headroom of the larger amp?

Thanks for the help!

David

Comment

• RedStep
                                    • Sep 2002

Hey Joe...I did see the new 700 series on the web site. I was wondering, is the 700 series "that" much better than the 600 series, and how close are they too the N800 series in terms of performance??? Things to ponder, wonder why the put out another mid-line series???

RedStep
                                    RedStep

Comment

• RedStep
                                      • Sep 2002

My first question is about the sub. How does it rank in comparison to some of the newer stuff like SVS? It is presently in a corner and it seems a bit boomy to me.
                                      Hey there Joske...Your gonna be hard pressed to beat the B&W, you may not have the sub set up properly, or you may notice a big difference going to Rotel seperates.
                                      Would they benefit from the increased headroom of the larger amp?
                                      Try to go with the most power you can afford, Rotel is going to be true wattage, and I still believe stepping up to quality seperates will make all the difference.

RedStep
                                      RedStep

Comment

• Lex
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Apr 2001

Ok, guys, I admit, I've been asleep at the wheel. I'll start a B&W thread over in stickyville.

Lex
                                        Doug
                                        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• RedStep
                                          • Sep 2002

Thanks Lex...

Hey Guys...see you in Stickyville

RedStep
                                          RedStep

Comment

• SomaJoe
                                            • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Joseki
                                            Hello,

I have a couple of questions for you B&W folks. But first a bit of background. I have a pair of CDM-7SE's for the mains, a CDM-CSE center, and two DM601's for surrounds. My sub is the ASW-2000. All of these items were purchased in early 1999.

My first question is about the sub. How does it rank in comparison to some of the newer stuff like SVS? It is presently in a corner and it seems a bit boomy to me. Unfortunately, I have limited leeway in terms of moving the sub. Also, would you consider this to be a musical sub (which I consider to be more important.)?

My next question is about amplification. My current setup involves the Denon AVR-5700 but I am moving on to the Rotel separates. So in terms of the amp, should I go with the 1095 (200 x 5) or will the 1075 (125 x 5)be enough? The mains are only rated to 150 watts and have a 90db sensitivity per the specs. Would they benefit from the increased headroom of the larger amp?

Thanks for the help!

David
                                            My thoughts in the new area.

Joe's HT
                                            Joe's HT

Comment

• Dan Schulze
                                              • Jun 2003

Hi All,

I like the Club B&W idea.

It's gonna be a B&W Christmas for me. I will be ordering my B&W's within a couple of weeks.

I have decided on the 802's, HTM1, and the 805's for surrounds. I will be driving them with an Anthem AVM 20/Anthem MCA 50. Eventually I will probably get an additional amp just for the 802's. I hear they like power!

I will post more once I get them - can't wait.

Anyway, I will check back in periodically to keep up with the B&W skinny!

Dan

I want to be SHAKEN not stirred!!
                                              My Home Theater

Comment

• Dan Schulze
                                                • Jun 2003

Hello,

Thanks for the help!

David
                                                David,

I don't have experience with your specific components, however I will give you my opinion on the Rotel question. I would suggest going with the 1095. I recently was considering the Rotel, Anthem, and others for my upgrade from a receiver (Denon AVR-3200). I decided on the Anthem separates (it was not an easy decision), but my point is when I am upgrading my stuff this time around I am willing to spend the extra dollars, since I figure if I didn't get the other components I was thinking about, I would always wonder to my self what the more powerful/better component would be like.

As you can see from me previous post I am getting some fairly expensive speakers. I have listened to lots of great sounding ones, but I always come back to the B&W's. Now if I chose to get another type - would I be really happy knowing that I could have had better?

Anyway, just my humble opinion!!

Good luck in your quest!

Dan

My Home Theater

Comment

• Dan Schulze
                                                  • Jun 2003

DUH!! I'll figure this "Sticky Thread" thing out yet - I'll post in the new sticky thread - sorry!!

Dan

My Home Theater

Comment

• Lex
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Apr 2001

No more need to figure out stickyville. As muh as I liked the idea, it just became to confusing for people, including me, lol. so, now BW is free to to post in their on new dedicated forum. This thread can now continue or you can choose to let it go, it's your choice! :B

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                                                    Doug
                                                    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"