X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paogorman2001
    • Jul 2007

Cm1 To 805s? Opinions Please

I need some help in making a decision. I have a pair of CM1 speakers that I am using as mains for a two channel system . I am quite happy with the sound that I get. My Electronics are as follows
    NAD-C272 Power amp 150watt
    NAD-C162-Pre Amp
    NAD -C521Bee CD Player
    Boston Acoustics-PV700 12" Powered Sub

I have been toying with the idea of upgradinf\g to the 805s but I want to know if you folks think it is worth the extra investment given the electronics I have

I have read the pro reviews that said the CM1 gave you 80%of the 805 perfomance at 40% of the price and that the sound of the CM1 was so close to the 805 that it is uncanny. I am in a condo so I don't play the music loudly and I want to stay with stand mounts. I can trade my CM1's in for full retail
    and pay the difference for the 805s. I would appreciate your feedback before I go and listen as to what I will or will not get if I upgrade
    Thanks all
    Pogo
    NAD C162-Preamp
    NAD C272-Poweramp
    NAD C521BEE-CDP
    Boston Acoustics PV700 12" Powered Sub
    B&W 805S-Speakers
    Copperhead Interconnects
  • Tommy
    • Dec 2006

As an owner of a pair of cherry 805S, I highly recommend trading up your CM1 for them, especially at full retail.

I am running my 805S with an Arcam 90 watt receiver AVR-250 (that's right, a receiver; to be upgraded soon). The source is McIntosh MVP871. It sounds fantastic. Remember, ~70% of the sound depends on the speakers. I really think you'll enjoy the 805S with your electronics.

Remember to let it break in for 100-200 hours for optimal sound.

Comment

• audioqueso
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

Are you talking about the Nautilus 805s, or the new 805S. Well, regardless, with that gear, I would definitely say the 805 would take advantage of your system more than the CM1s would. About the reviews, check what was used. Truthfully, when I received my Nautilus 805s, I was upgrading from the 601 S3. They were only being powered by a Marantz receiver at the time. The 805 was smoother, but the difference was not THAT big. The equipment has to be right. It wasn't until I added a dedicated that the 805 really started to blow away the 604 in all aspects. There is a big difference between the two if driven with the right gear. Your gear is the right gear.
      B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• aquaanox
        • Feb 2007

if you dont upgrade, you'll always wonder so just do it and dont look back.

Comment

• Pato
          • Dec 2006

Where the CM1 ends, the 805S starts to become a "women"... and a beautifull one. Go for it!
          Lyngdorf CD1 - NAD S300 - B&W 802D

Comment

• sandalsocks
            • Aug 2007

The clarity of the 805s' are just amazing. When i listened to the cm1's they were good but the 805s' really open up the sound and are in a different league.

Comment

• george_k
              • Jan 2004

I recently added a NAD C272 to power my 703 based 2ch setup, the difference it made over my previous 60watt receiver (NAD T742) was HUGE.

I'm now using the T742 as a preamp, though I will probably change it for a tube pre soon (I'm thinking McIntosh C220 or deHavilland UltraVerve) just as soon as I sell my sub :-)

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI,
                Go with the 805S's. You will thank us endlessly and never look back.

Do consider upgrading your amplification. The 805S's love good, smooth electronics. These are very revealing speakers so the electronics must be good.

Consider adding subs. The 805S's are small speakers and have bass to match.

Not all of this must be done at one time. Figure out an upgrade path and budget. Adhere to it. You will be finished in no time and have an exceptional system.

Do not consider the 805S's a stepping stone to something bigger. They are plenty good enough to be the end point as long as they satisfy your needs. You will have to spend much more money to get significantly better sound. I except low bass which, as I said above, is typical of small speakers; subs solve that issue. With larger speakers much of the added expense is for improved low bass performance. Bass is always expensive.

Last, do not ask us. Go listen. Trust your ears.

Good luck with your exciting journey.

Sparky

Comment

• sandalsocks
                  • Aug 2007

I don't think I could have ever said it better myself Karma. Something to add, after listening to the 805's it set the standard for every speaker below its price range. I was some how able to refrain myself from listening to more expensive stuff as it was ~$1000 more in price in the b&w system and required twice the price in electronics than what I could afford to run well.

Comment

• paogorman2001
                    • Jul 2007

CM1 805 ugrade opinions please

Well
                    I went to Audio Etc yesterday and auditioned the 805s like the consenus of opinion was on this thread.-----------------------I bought them in the black ash finish They ordered me a pair
                    I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P
                    NAD C162-Preamp
                    NAD C272-Poweramp
                    NAD C521BEE-CDP
                    B&W 805S-Speakers
                    Copperhead Interconnects

Comment

• sikoniko
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Aug 2003

congrats! enjoy your new speakers.
                      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI,
                        Congrats. Keep us informed. I also have black ash 805S's along with a pair of matching black ash B&W ASW800 subs for my bedroom HT system. Love them but they are dust catchers. Or better, you can see all the dust.

What are you planning for stands? I bought the dedicated B&W stands. Coupled with the speakers they are stunning, IMHO. They also sound great meaning they complement the 805's beautifully. I know they seem expensive but I believe they are worth the money. They are maybe the best stands I have ever seen.

Sparky

Comment

• sandalsocks
                          • Aug 2007

since the stands costed so much money the only way I convinced myself to get them was to think of them as buying furniture as it adds style.

Comment

• Nov 2005

Originally posted by sandalsocks
                            since the stands costed so much money the only way I convinced myself to get them was to think of them as buying furniture as it adds style.
                            HI sandal,
                            Yes, I think your way of justifying the stands is excellent (and true!). Fortunately, like a well made beautiful chair, they also work well from an audio point of view.

Sparky

Comment

• paogorman2001
                              • Jul 2007

@@@@@@@@
                              Last edited by paogorman2001; 15 December 2007, 19:01 Saturday.
                              NAD C162-Preamp
                              NAD C272-Poweramp
                              NAD C521BEE-CDP
                              B&W 805S-Speakers
                              Copperhead Interconnects

Comment

• paogorman2001
                                • Jul 2007

Well they finally arrived today. A day late because of a snowstorm here in Ct. but boy am I glad that I listened to you folks and bought them. I'm a smooth jazz fan and from the first note from one of my "fourplay Cd's I could tell the upgrade was worth it.
                                I don't know all the terminology but the sound is more refined and pure. How long of a "burn in time" or is it your ears that have to adjust Thanks folks

Pogo
                                Last edited by paogorman2001; 15 December 2007, 19:00 Saturday.
                                NAD C162-Preamp
                                NAD C272-Poweramp
                                NAD C521BEE-CDP
                                B&W 805S-Speakers
                                Copperhead Interconnects

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2007

You'll hear the biggest changes in the speakers in the first 100 hours. After that they just get better and better. If you can, play something though them all day. Even if you're not home, keep something playing (it doesn't have to be loud) and the break in will go by fast.

Eric

Comment

• Grasynoll
                                    • Mar 2006

I'm running the exact set up you have except for the sub. About 100 hrs is right on.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by paogorman2001
                                      I'm a smooth jazz fan and from the first note from one of my "fourplay Cd's I could tell the upgrade was worth it.
                                      Same here Pogo! Fourplay's self titled (and best IMO) cut always accompanies me on demo days and has been a constant staple in my system. Way to go on the B&W's! :T
                                      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• WI Rotel
                                        • Jul 2006

If you are considering 805's its a great choice, however, its kind of a half hearted upgrade. Unless space is an overwhelming factor, go bigger! 703's are great, if space is important XT4's. The 805 is a great speaker but for the same price you can buy a "full range" speaker that gives up very little in sonic transparency and/or quality while gaining full spectrum coverage and significantly higher output capacity.

Comment

• sandalsocks
                                          • Aug 2007

when I demo'd the 805's and 703's there was a big difference in clarity and imaging to my ears. The 703's sounded fuller of course but the 805's blew me away with the crystal clean sound. I can understand how people can have different preferences or hear them different.

The deal breaker maybe that theres no true center, discussed many times, for the 703.

Comment

• WI Rotel
                                            • Jul 2006

Originally posted by sandalsocks
                                            when I demo'd the 805's and 703's there was a big difference in clarity and imaging to my ears. The 703's sounded fuller of course but the 805's blew me away with the crystal clean sound. I can understand how people can have different preferences or hear them different.

The deal breaker maybe that theres no true center, discussed many times, for the 703.
                                            HTM7 is the center for the 7 series. So that should not be a deal breaker. Just playing devil's advocate.
                                            One point to take is that bookself speakers always sound more "transparent" and "open" than full range ones. The reason is very simple, since they lack the bottom end of the spectrum they sound brighter, the same thing will happen if you compare 805's to their bigger siblings. Full range speaker always sound a little dull compared to "monitors", however, once you take them out of the store what seemed more clean before, is simply very bass light in your house. Just things to ponder....

Comment

• WI Rotel
                                              • Jul 2006

Originally posted by WI Rotel
                                              HTM7 is the center for the 7 series. So that should not be a deal breaker. Just playing devil's advocate.
                                              One point to take is that bookself speakers always sound more "transparent" and "open" than full range ones. The reason is very simple, since they lack the bottom end of the spectrum they sound brighter, the same thing will happen if you compare 805's to their bigger siblings. Full range speaker always sound a little dull compared to "monitors", however, once you take them out of the store what seemed more clean before, is simply very bass light in your house. Just things to ponder....
                                              8O Sorry I hadn't noticed that the 805's were already a done deal ops: Never mind the previous, however it may be informative for tose that may have the same inquiry.

Comment

• sandalsocks
                                                • Aug 2007

Originally posted by WI Rotel
                                                although I haven't heard for myself I hear the htm7 don't fully match the 703's. Thats what I was referring to.

Comment

• JerryB
                                                  • Dec 2005

I have upgraded to 805’s (Black Ash) from CM1’s about a month ago. My system is a 2-channel setup with Musical Fidelity 3.5 Integrated and CD player and Magnum Dynalab FT 101-A FM tuner. The clarity and openness of the sound you get from the 805’s compared to the CM1’s to me was a major improvement. I have a difficult speaker placement because of my room configuration. The 805’s sound great in this room but the CM1’s bass was a little booming, even with the foam plugs. It only affected the right speaker because the speaker was placed a little to close to the corner of the walls but I couldn’t place the speaker in any other position.
                                                  You will enjoy the 805’s. Great choice of color btw.

Comment

• Pato
                                                    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by paogorman2001
                                                    Well they finally arrived today. A day late because of a snowstorm here in Ct. but boy am I glad that I listened to you folks and bought them. I'm a smooth jazz fan and from the first note from one of my "fourplay Cd's I could tell the upgrade was worth it.
                                                    I don't know all the terminology but the sound is more refined and pure. How long of a "burn in time" or is it your ears that have to adjust Thanks folks

Pogo
                                                    15 hours... read the manual, it´s quite explicit about running in.

And congrats on the 805S. :T
                                                    Lyngdorf CD1 - NAD S300 - B&W 802D

Comment

Working...
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"