Worth upgrading DM601, DM603 and LCR600 from s2 to s3?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HDListener
    • Mar 2017

Worth upgrading DM601, DM603 and LCR600 from s2 to s3?

I mostly listen to high def digital recordings and also use my system for home theater. Powered by a Rotel 1055 and I also have a B&W sub (forgot which model). I'm happy with how this system's sounded over the years but am wondering if anyone here's had experience with this setup and has upgraded to s3 from s2. I'd love to hear feedback if you have some to share. Thanks!
  • sgtjim57
    • Dec 2008

Own the S3, never heard S2 so not much help. I upgraded my mains from 603's to N804's and am very happy with the sound they provide. I avoid listening to the Diamonds knowing if I did I would want them. (Maybe could afford a pair of 804D3 but the sound would not match well with my other speakers and upgrading everything is way beyond what I want to spend at this time in my life. I use Emotiva XPA-5 as my amp.
    Sony Bravia OLED A1E 55"
    SVS SB 2000 X 2
    Denon X4000 (Looking to upgrade due to 4K, ATMOS, DTSX)
    Oppo BDP 93
    Apple TV 4K
    B & W N804 Mains
    B & W 603 Rear surrounds
    B & W LCR 600 Center
    B & W CDS6 (Not in use)
    Sony TA N77ES (Not in use)

Comment

• srb
      • Oct 2004

I owned the 602 S3 powered by a Rotel RSX-1056. I have not owned nor did I upgrade from the S2 version. The woofers, tweeters and crossovers are all different. The woofers are somewhat similar though and it may (?) be possible to upgrade without replacing them, but the tweeters and crossovers would both need to be replaced.

Using the 602 S2 as an example, the cost of replacements parts (tweeters @ $108.60 each and crossovers @ $69.50 each) for a total ~ $350 makes upgrading the actual speakers you currently have not really worth it, and selling your S2 speakers to buy S3 speakers would be more of a lateral move in my mind.

Although the S3 had an improved treble response over the S2, I still found the highs could get a bit harsh and the bass a bit boomy, and I actually preferred plugging the port regardless of room placement. Based on the latter, I probably would have been happier with with the 601 S3.

If you want to move up a level in loudspeakers, I think you would be better served selling the S2s and putting the upgrade money toward a better loudspeaker, whether a higher series B&W or another brand.

Comment

• tyreman
        • Dec 2009

I have 602 S3 changed out from 602 S1 a few years ago
        Not that great a difference
        on rear channels though, did try a bit on fronts not that huge a difference

Comment

• function12
          • Oct 2007

I jumped from the 602s3 to 805d2s. They are awesome!!!

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"