X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • essbiz
    • Dec 2016

Accuphase A-50V for 802d/800d

Hi,

In my current set up I have the A-50V power amp together with a pair of 803D. I am considering an upgrade to 802D or 800D. Any comments on if the amp will have enough power to drive those monsters?

Thanks
  • TEK
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Both 802D and 800D has 90db sensitivity and is thereby speakers that is quite easy to drive.
    B&W recommends 50 to 500 watt @8ohm for all the bigger speakers.

This means that you should be good to go with your current amplifier, as long as you feel that you have enough headroom to play as load as you want in your room.
    If you feel that you are not able to play load enough, it might be a good idea to switch to a more powerful amplifier as the speakers can handle quite much more than 50Watt. If you can play load enough with your current 803, you should be OK with he larger 802D or 800D as well.

That beeing said - I would probably have wanted to larger amp just to be sure that I have all the headroom I would ever need ;-)
    -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• Patrick Butler
      • Jan 2014

Hi essbiz,

Nice amplifier! Same answer as TEK.

Provided the A-50V plays loudly enough for your needs with 803D, you'll have no problems with 802D or 800D.

Best regards,

Patrick Butler
      B&W Group North America

Originally posted by essbiz
      Hi,

In my current set up I have the A-50V power amp together with a pair of 803D. I am considering an upgrade to 802D or 800D. Any comments on if the amp will have enough power to drive those monsters?

Thanks

Comment

• essbiz
        • Dec 2016

TEK and Patrick
        Thanks for your feedback.
        Indeed the 803d can play at the levels I need. So, no need to look for another amp then. Sounds promising. Now, just need to find a good deal on either 802D/800D.

Comment

• TEK
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Hmm, have to say that I'm quite jealous on you...
          Would have loved to have one of those in my listening room.
          (Wonder how they would compare to my DIY Wavecor Ardents?!?)
          -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• wkhanna
            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

my best friend, Dan (PewterTA) has had the B&W 802 D2's for going on 5 years now.....

one thing we have noticed is that every time power quality goes up, the speakers sound better.
            Dan started with an OEM Rotel RB-1090, then a modified 1090, & now is running Classe CA-M400 mono-blocks.
            in each case the increase in speaker performance was striking & apparent as a crying baby on a small plane.

so while the 800's may be 'easy to drive', significant performance gains are to be had from increasing power.

us old folks around here at the the guide have a saying:

HTG Rule #1
            there is no such thing as too much clean, pure, low distortion power

HTG Rule #2
            see HTG Rule #1
            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"