X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • svennn
    • Oct 2016

Advise Need on Series 80 Model 801 speakers

I'm looking for some input on what I should do with these 801 speakers. I was just left with the set as a good friend moved out of town and could not take them with him.

They need a bit of work and some parts to bring them up to standard. I'll list out the items and would love anything from members to help.

Cabinet finish
    Grill Frame cracked
    fuse cover and fuse missing on one speaker

Outside of these 3 items they are pretty good and function 100%.

I would say the first order of business is the fuse cover. Without it the one speaker will not function. Do I just order a new one? Where? After a bit of googling it seems like a good amount of people wire around the protection circuit. Is that considered a hack that could drop the resale value in the long run?

Thanks for the help.

Steve
  • TomScrut
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Nov 2013

Whereabouts are you? In the US they have a site where parts can be ordered from, BUT they won't have a lot (if any) parts for a speaker that old I don't think.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
    Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• Alaric
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

I have heard those speakers. Not your exact pair, but that model. They would definitely be worth restoring, IMO. I think the protection circuit has a battery (?), and they would likely need replacement, and new, high quality, capacitors in the crossovers wouldn't hurt. Also, check the surrounds on the drivers. The pair I heard was driven by 1000 watts of tube amplification and sounded very good to me. Huge soundstage with very good detail. They liked being about 2.5 feet from the walls and responded well to adjusting the toe in. They rewarded proper placement with making the room sound much larger than it was. Nice score!
      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
      Schiit Modi 3
      Marantz CD5005
      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• svennn
        • Oct 2016

Originally posted by TomScrut
        Whereabouts are you? In the US they have a site where parts can be ordered from, BUT they won't have a lot (if any) parts for a speaker that old I don't think.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
        I'm in Maryland, USA.

I'll try calling today and see what they have.

Comment

• svennn
          • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Alaric
          I have heard those speakers. Not your exact pair, but that model. They would definitely be worth restoring, IMO. I think the protection circuit has a battery (?), and they would likely need replacement, and new, high quality, capacitors in the crossovers wouldn't hurt. Also, check the surrounds on the drivers. The pair I heard was driven by 1000 watts of tube amplification and sounded very good to me. Huge soundstage with very good detail. They liked being about 2.5 feet from the walls and responded well to adjusting the toe in. They rewarded proper placement with making the room sound much larger than it was. Nice score!
          Having never gotten into speakers before I'm not sure I'm up to the task.

Comment

• svennn
            • Oct 2016

I'm told by B&W that those parts are no longer available. I guess I'll wire around it to get things functioning.

Comment

• aarsoe
              • May 2004

Hi Svenn
              You could with a bit of work get a truly great sounding speaker on your hand. Not much that can match the umph of those 15" bas units.
              Now there have been a couple of different versions of that speaker so I will suggest you as one of the first things take some photos of the unit. Front, back and close-up of the back of the head and the name plate on the back.
              Also if possible see if you can get a photo of the cross over.
              Depending of the model I may be able to help with info. I have diagrams of the cross over for a couple of different models and have renovated a pair myself including "upgrading" the cross over.
              The end result was so good that I still envy the friend that bought them from me. The only downside is the dated look, but if you can live with that and have enough power (read current) to drive them then you will not regret doing it..

Comment

• aarsoe
                • May 2004

Svennn - have you given up on the project? You really should do it. The speakers are worth it... Trust me..

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"