X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark_89
    • Nov 2014

B&W speakers and air moisture

Hello,

a thaught that is bothering me as of late is the long term preservation of my speakers. I have a set up consisting of B&W 703s, 705s and a htm7 in a relatively small room (3.5 x 3.5 meters). My windows are not isolated and I put up my laundry in this room. Each time I put up the laundry the windows arr covered in condensation moisture.
    I have read that air moisture content indoors can drop significantly in winter and that would mean that inserting moisture into the air can be a good thing. However this happens only once a week.
    Now my question to thee: do I need worrying about my air moisture content or is everything fine as it is?
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Your probably fine. Keep your speaker grills on. Is water forming on the speaker cabinets or your electronics when you hang your laundry ? If so, that could be a problem long term!
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Mark_89
      • Nov 2014

Originally posted by madmac
      Your probably fine. Keep your speaker grills on. Is water forming on the speaker cabinets or your electronics when you hang your laundry ? If so, that could be a problem long term!
      Grills are on all the time. Absolutely no water forming on the cabinets or anything of the sort. This house is old but not prehistoric.

Comment

• andrewmr
        • Aug 2015

You are getting condensation on the windows because of the temp difference on either side of the glass.... and the moisture inside.

Comment

• Mark_89
          • Nov 2014

Originally posted by andrewmr
          You are getting condensation on the windows because of the temp difference on either side of the glass.... and the moisture inside.
          Yes. Point is that the moisture on the glass is indicative for a lot of moisture being input in the air in my room. Question is whether or not this weekly moisture peak can do any harm. Speakers feel fine (though a little cold). But they're my babies and they need all the care I can provide.

Comment

• andrewmr
            • Aug 2015

Ok.... I can't say for sure because I don't know what your room (moisture) is like, but my guess would be that it's ok.

Think of all the speakers in existence in the tropics or other very humid places.

If you wanted to play it safe you could always invest in a fan to move the air from that room to the rest of the house. Or if you have a central air or heat unit you could just run the fan portion to move air when you are drying clothes.

Comment

• BWLover
              • Jan 2009

B&W speakers and air moisture

I'd get one of those thermometers that tells you the humidity as well. I believe around 70% relative humidity is normal for indoors. At least then you'd know if the humidity is crazy high in the room, and how long after doing laundry it takes to return to normal.

Bowers & Wilkins 683S1 Speakers
              Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
              Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
              Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
              Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
              Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
              Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
              Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
              Primacoustic Room Treatments
              Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
              Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
              Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
              Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
              Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
              Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
              Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
              Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
              Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
              Playstation 3
              Shaw HD PVR
              Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

• Mark_89
                • Nov 2014

Originally posted by BWLover
                I'd get one of those thermometers that tells you the humidity as well. I believe around 70% relative humidity is normal for indoors. At least then you'd know if the humidity is crazy high in the room, and how long after doing laundry it takes to return to normal.
                Interesting idea; will look into that.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"