X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ice cube
    • Jan 2015

Confused ?????

Hi
    I am now between choosing 802D and 803D. My room is 12ft / 12ft. it is a small room for this I want your advise.
    Also I am thinking of
    1- DB1 Sub
    2- Ati Amp 6002
    3- Marantz 8802
    4- Htm2 D2 center ch
    Are they good combination.

ice,
  • wised
    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by ice cube
    Hi
    I am now between choosing 802D and 803D. My room is 12ft / 12ft. it is a small room for this I want your advise.
    Also I am thinking of
    1- DB1 Sub
    2- Ati Amp 6002
    3- Marantz 8802
    4- Htm2 D2 center ch
    Are they good combination.

ice,
    I think you are thinking very big for a very small room. I'm running a DB1 plus 805's in a 50x30 area and can reach almost concert level loudness absolutely free of distortion and with thunderous bass. You could probably save a lot of money on speakers by simply opting for 805 with a PV1D which will provide more than enough bass for a listening area of those dimensions. I run 2 Pv1's (originals, not D) on my 7.1 HT setup in the man cave which is 25 by 15 and have basicly the same amount of bass available. The PV1D reaches significantly lower than the original version.
    In the 800 series, the star of the show is truly the diamond tweeter which they all share, if you are opting for a sub and you don't have a very large room, you can opt for the smallest one without sacrificing any sound quality. I auditioned the 805's hooked to a Rotel amp (no sub) vs 802s with Classe monoblocks in all honesty I "enjoyed" the sound of the 805s more than the other way around. Although speakers are a very personal thing, I like the ability of monitors to disappear vs the more "dry", "analytical" sound of floor speakers. Personally, I think of all the 800 series speakers in between as superfluous, you get the big bruiser for 15K, or the "little" one with a sub which will run you around 10K. The 802 is more capable as far as output is concerned but as far as SQ is concerned they are simply different flavors of extraordinary quality sound. The new D3's (as yet unavailable in the US, maybe in Jan) will cost you a "little" more.
    It seems you are running an HT system, with the money you save on speakers you can spend it on separate amplifiers instead of an AVR which might struggle with the current demands of multiple relatively inefficient speakers. On my HT system I run 2 rotels; a 2 way 200W for the fronts and a 5 way 200W for the rest. I tried an AVR originally with it (XT4's and XT2's) and it couldn't cut the mustard.
    Good luck and happy listening.

Comment

• ice cube
      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by wised
      I think you are thinking very big for a very small room. I'm running a DB1 plus 805's in a 50x30 area and can reach almost concert level loudness absolutely free of distortion and with thunderous bass. You could probably save a lot of money on speakers by simply opting for 805 with a PV1D which will provide more than enough bass for a listening area of those dimensions. I run 2 Pv1's (originals, not D) on my 7.1 HT setup in the man cave which is 25 by 15 and have basicly the same amount of bass available. The PV1D reaches significantly lower than the original version.
      In the 800 series, the star of the show is truly the diamond tweeter which they all share, if you are opting for a sub and you don't have a very large room, you can opt for the smallest one without sacrificing any sound quality. I auditioned the 805's hooked to a Rotel amp (no sub) vs 802s with Classe monoblocks in all honesty I "enjoyed" the sound of the 805s more than the other way around. Although speakers are a very personal thing, I like the ability of monitors to disappear vs the more "dry", "analytical" sound of floor speakers. Personally, I think of all the 800 series speakers in between as superfluous, you get the big bruiser for 15K, or the "little" one with a sub which will run you around 10K. The 802 is more capable as far as output is concerned but as far as SQ is concerned they are simply different flavors of extraordinary quality sound. The new D3's (as yet unavailable in the US, maybe in Jan) will cost you a "little" more.
      It seems you are running an HT system, with the money you save on speakers you can spend it on separate amplifiers instead of an AVR which might struggle with the current demands of multiple relatively inefficient speakers. On my HT system I run 2 rotels; a 2 way 200W for the fronts and a 5 way 200W for the rest. I tried an AVR originally with it (XT4's and XT2's) and it couldn't cut the mustard.
      Good luck and happy listening.
      Thank you I appreciate that good advise, and now I think I will go for 804 with two Sun Asw10CM and I have Ati amp 1803. But I don't know if it's enough driving these speakers. Also I will buy Marantz 7702
      Ice

Comment

• wised
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by ice cube
        Thank you I appreciate that good advise, and now I think I will go for 804 with two Sun Asw10CM and I have Ati amp 1803. But I don't know if it's enough driving these speakers. Also I will buy Marantz 7702
        Ice
        Sounds like a good combo. I don't think The ASW and the PV1 would be too different sound-wise but the ASW10 will definitely match much better aesthetically, the PV1 D , however is more powerful (400 vs 200W). Given your room both would probably work. The 804's can definitely use the lower extension offered by the subs.

Comment

• TomScrut
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Nov 2013

I have a 12ft x 13ft room and my 802s are fine in there. They offer a level of performance beyond the non marlan headed versions hence why I couldn't spend my money on the 804s or 803s. But I do understand the point of the other poster too apart from the marlan head isn't just there for looks it makes a HUGE difference to the way the sound integrates. If it wasn't for that I would probably say 805s and subs are a better way to go. If you are buying new you should be able to demo them at the dealer and then at home if you can convince your dealer it's a deal breaker otherwise. Any decent dealer should understand that your room is as important as anything else in the system so if they care about you as a customer (rather than just wanting a sale) they should be able to do a home demo.

I also heard the DB1 was getting the new driver material soon so that may be worth waiting for.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
          Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"