X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TimbaLand
    • Aug 2013

DB1 vs 2x PV1D

I have an opportunity to go 2x PV1D or 1x DB1. Auditioning will always give an answer to this but I just wanna hear your thoughts and experience about this as I don't have time to go audition right now.
  • peter clarke
    • Oct 2006

Timbaland, Buy the DB1 & later add another

Comment

• alebonau
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

I would agree, DB1 why muck around !
      "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• windshear
        • Dec 2004

What is your primary use? HT or Stereo?

Comment

• TimbaLand
          • Aug 2013

I use it for both stereo and HT. The PV1Ds are there already. I will be advertising them for sale soon

Comment

• windshear
            • Dec 2004

To be honest I think you are wasting your money going to a single DB1 set up. If you compare the two options the DB1 will give you a lower Freq response. However that's all dependant on if your source material actually has content that goes that low. Running a dual PV1D setup you can optimise your Frequency response through placement of two subwoofers in the room. Plus you wont have to drive the two subwoofers as hard as the single DB1 to achieve equivalent levels. Im currently running dual DB1's as well as a pair of CTSW10's to fill in a null at 30Hz due to a room mode.

Current thinking is rather two subwoofers versus one better sub that has better specs. It allows you more flexibility in terms of positioning as well being able to better optimise the in room response due to modal issues. It all boils down to if bragging rights are important to you. It will only be apparent via test tones and independent measurement(ie REW) how much better the DB1 may be. However in real terms under normal listening conditions you would be none the wiser due to source material not going down that low to use the bottom end extension difference between the two.

If I knew then what I know now, when I bought my DB1's, I might not buy them again and would explore cheaper options.

Comment

• emig5m
              • Aug 2008

The DB1 is so damned expensive, lol. I do wonder how a PV1D stacks up to a Sunfire TS-EQ 12? I would like to eventually get dual subs and adding another used Sunfire would be the cheapest route and most bang for the buck but I'm curious about adding a more current and refined subwoofer to my system. Opinions? Anyone ever compare a Sunfire to a PV1D? I do know all about SVS and those bang for the buck internet only brands but I just can't accommodate a sub box the size of a small coffin very easily and I'm afraid a JL audio wouldn't be noticeably better enough to warrant premium price increase over my Sunfire? How does a PV1D stack up I wonder? Or is the older top of the line Sunfire better?

Comment

• TimbaLand
                • Aug 2013

[QUOTE=windshear;584266]To be honest I think you are wasting your money going to a single DB1 set up. If you compare the two options the DB1 will give you a lower Freq response. However that's all dependant on if your source material actually has content that goes that low. Running a dual PV1D setup you can optimise your Frequency response through placement of two subwoofers in the room. Plus you wont have to drive the two subwoofers as hard as the single DB1 to achieve equivalent levels. Im currently running dual DB1's as well as a pair of CTSW10's to fill in a null at 30Hz due to a room mode.

Current thinking is rather two subwoofers versus one better sub that has better specs. It allows you more flexibility in terms of positioning as well being able to better optimise the in room response due to modal issues. It all boils down to if bragging rights are important to you. It will only be apparent via test tones and independent measurement(ie REW) how much better the DB1 may be. However in real terms under normal listening conditions you would be none the wiser due to source material not going down that low to use the bottom end extension difference between the two.

If I knew then what I know now, when I bought my DB1's, I might not buy them again and would explore cheaper options.[/QUOTE

I get what you mean. I have been wanting go do some room measruements to better understand whats happening in my room and to find out what will bring real improvement to my system. So far im happy with it but hey there can always be improvements. Im not really pressed for a DB1 but I have been offered a good deal that made me to explore the experiences of you guys.

Comment

• peter clarke
                  • Oct 2006

Timbaland, You already have the 2 smaller subwoofers. Keep them & add the DB1 & then another. Can't go wrong!!!!

Comment

• Marco Lisi
                    • May 2008

Hi Timbaland

If you are planning to upgrade to 2 DB-1's eventually, then go for DB-1.
                    I will gladly repeat what some of the other guys already said: 2 subs is better then one.
                    It ads more balance, punch and power. You don't want to keep stressing one sub all the time :W

Personally I use 3DB-1's as LCR subs with a SSP-800.

It was very interesting to hear the changes to go from 1 sub to two and at the end to three.

I think that next to the DB-1 the PV1-D is B&W's second best sub.

What also could be an important factor: how big is your room?

Kind regards
                    Diamond Room
                    Acoustical treated room with reference 7.3 av system

Comment

• TimbaLand
                      • Aug 2013

My room is about 4.5 x 6m. I agree with the dual sub setup school of thought so going one db1 may go lower than dual subs but kay snot give the balance that one would get from dual PV1Ds. The intesting thing is that i have 2 offers on the DB1. One is a brand new ofer from a dealer the other is a straight swap with a guy that wants me to give him 2x PV1Ds and he gives me his DB1. There must be something he heard from the dual sub setup for him to want us to do a straight swap.

maybe I should put this to rest and stick with dual PV1Ds. Maybe whatni can add is a cheaper sub that can go lower than the PV1Ds to cat for lower frequencies. What domyou guys think of that? I think thats what Windshear suggested on one of the replies above.

Comment

• Marco Lisi
                        • May 2008

Hi again

What is the rest of your speaker setup?

Thanx
                        Diamond Room

Comment

• TimbaLand
                          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Marco Lisi
                          Hi again

What is the rest of your speaker setup?

Thanx
                          804 Diamond
                          HTM2 Diamond
                          805 Diamond

im considering a pair of in ceilings for rears for a 7.1 setup

Comment

• Marco Lisi
                            • May 2008

Hi TimbaLand

Nice collection you have there.
                            I think that you will be very pleased with a very well tuned system utilizing 2 PV1D's.
                            The reason why I'm suggesting this is because 2 DB-1's can generate a lot of output power.
                            Taking in consideration the size of your room and your main speakers you will create more balance with 2 PV1D's in my humble opinion.

Please keep us posted of your progress TimbaLand.
                            Diamond Room

Comment

• TimbaLand
                              • Aug 2013

^^^ Thanks for your response. I'm gonna play around with placement. Also considering to get someone that knows how to play around with REW and do EQ adjustments on my Rotel RSP1572 as it doesn't have auto EQ. I think that will bring more gains too.

Marco you have a monster system and a room to die for. I'll have one like that when I grow up

Comment

• Mortyre
                                • Jan 2014

Hi all

I'm new on this forum. I find it after an search on google about The b&w asw855. Sorry for my bad english because is not my language.

This post is very interesting. I wanted to buy a bigger subwoofer like asw855, The db1 is very expensive and I already have a PV1. So why not 2 x PV1

My config :
                                2 x 802D + 1 HTM1D + 2 x 805s

My Room is 8m x 4.5m

Do you think That add a PV1 at mine is a better solution That only one asw855 ?

Thank for your answer.

Comment

• TimbaLand
                                  • Aug 2013

I got rid of my dual PV1Ds and got the DB1. First impression was how heavy the sub is then came the bass slam. My room shaked so much I thought the walls will crack. I have gone a manual set up for now where I calibrated it against my other speakers. I'll do room eq maybe over the weekend. I saw on the b&w support page they ghabe instructions on how to set up the harmony remote control for the DB1. Does this sub have a sensor and if not how foes one control it with a remote control?

Comment

Working...
                                  😀
                                  😂
                                  🥰
                                  😘
                                  🤢
                                  😎
                                  😞
                                  😡
                                  👍
                                  👎
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"