My Wife Said Keep The Budget Under $1000 So This Is What I Bought! Need HELP!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hockey_101
    • Oct 2015

My Wife Said Keep The Budget Under $1000 So This Is What I Bought! Need HELP!

I'm building a home theater system starting from scratch, except for speaker wires. My wife said I could spend $1000 on a new system so I have to go used to get decent equipment. So far I've purchased a used pair of B&W 684 tower speakers for $375 cash off of Craigslist and a pair of 686's with a matching HTS2 Center Channel for another $325 off eBay. So I'm up to $700. Then I needed a receiver so I bought a used Pioneer Elite VSX-40 off Ebay for $125. Now I'm up to $825 and I would still like to get a sub. Does anyone have suggestions of a good sub to pair with these speakers? I've already demo'd them and I've decided I want a little more bass but I only have $175 left to spend. I'd like to buy used or new but it'd probably have to be heavily discounted for me to consider it new. Please let me know your suggestions! Thanks!Click image for larger version

Name:	ht.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	871464Click image for larger version

Name:	ht1.jpg
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	871465Click image for larger version

Name:	ht2.jpg
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	871466
  • TomScrut
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Nov 2013

Wow, that's a good system so far for the money! The AVR may be on the old side but if it does what you want then all is well. Can't really suggest any subs but thought I would compliment your buying so far!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
    Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

Wow !! You've done fantastic so far!!! I hope your AVR does Dolby Digital and DTS ?? You should be able to snag a used powered sub in the same manner that you bought all this other equipment so far (Used). Try to get something with at least a 10" driver for the sub (Powered of course). Keep your eyes out for a Paradigm......PSB.......Infinity.......and of course.....B&W if you can find.
      Dan Madden :T

Comment

• hockey_101
        • Oct 2015

Originally posted by TomScrut
        Wow, that's a good system so far for the money! The AVR may be on the old side but if it does what you want then all is well. Can't really suggest any subs but thought I would compliment your buying so far!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
        Originally posted by madmac
        Wow !! You've done fantastic so far!!! I hope your AVR does Dolby Digital and DTS ?? You should be able to snag a used powered sub in the same manner that you bought all this other equipment so far (Used). Try to get something with at least a 10" driver for the sub (Powered of course). Keep your eyes out for a Paradigm......PSB.......Infinity.......and of course.....B&W if you can find.
        Thank you both for the replies! I realize I've been pretty lucky to find these items at the prices I have. The receiver is Dolby Digital and DTS. I believe it's from 2011.
        Ebay has a couple BW subs in the $250 range so I think I might be able to snag one for $175 if I keep my eyes peeled. I've just heard mixed reviews about their subs (that they aren't as legendary as their speakers). Has anyone had experience with them that can assure me these are worth the money?

Thank you,
        Luke

Comment

• wkhanna
          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

in that price range for used subs you will do fine, imho.
          keep an eye out for Velodyne offerings, too.

remember, that size matters (according to The Wife)
          8" subs are typically anemic, but in a small room may be sufficient.

10 & 12 are obviously more powerful, but also command higher prices.

so far, well done my friend!
          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• andrewmr
            • Aug 2015

Take your wife shoe/purse shopping..... while she's in her glory tell her you'd like her permission to go slightly over budget.

Comment

• madmac
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2010

Bill's got it right ! A sub with an 8" driver will NOT cut the mustard. Get a 10" to 12" powered sub. The more watts the better (bass is a power hungry bird!). Sub matching with the main speakers is not as critical as the.....let's say.....center channel speaker is. Get a good used one. I have personally not heard anything bad about B&W subs. However, any of the sub mfr's listed above would do just fine!
              Dan Madden :T

Comment

• hockey_101
                • Oct 2015

Originally posted by andrewmr
                Take your wife shoe/purse shopping..... while she's in her glory tell her you'd like her permission to go slightly over budget.
                HAHA!! Good idea. I might just try that

Thank you everyone for the replies! I am looking at Velodyne 10 ro 12 inch subs in the $200 range on ebay. There's quite a few to pick from but I've heard really good things about this brand of subs. I've also heard mixed reviews about BW subs so I think I'll stay away from them for now.

Does anyone have suggestions for good looking speaker stands for the satellites? I was thinking either black or silver. Something like:

OR

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for SANUS Bf31-b1 31 Inch Basic Series Bookshelf Speaker Stands, Black at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"