X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • emig5m
    • Aug 2008

Oh Snap! Rosewood repair!

One of my cabinets got knocked over today and scuffed the finish off. The scuff on the front has no major indentation, just the stain. In the back is a deep gouge that will have to be "filled in". What's the best way to go about fixing this? I seen at Walmart they had wood furniture repair things that looked like crayons (I just glanced at them looking for other things). Need some help from somebody who's had to repair the cabinets before. This sucks! :cry:

• Blindamood
    • Sep 2003

I had a scratch on my black CDM NTs years ago, and B&W sent me a free touch-up pen that I still have! Send an email to the support site and hopefully you'll get the same. You'll probably have to fill in the gouge with some wood filler, though.
    Brad

Comment

• emig5m
      • Aug 2008

Ok here's how it's going so far. Here's a better pic of the deeper gauge in the back... (if the pics turn to thumb nail size, just click on them to expand them)

Ouch! Now after the wood epoxy...

I smoothed and shaped it out while removing excess as it dried with a putty knife lubricated with cooking spray so that there would be no sanding needed. But I wanted it to look as legit as possible so I took a threading needle and carved wood grain into the wood epoxy when I was 100% done shaping it with the putty knife...

I got Minwax Red Mahogany wood stain and it seems to match perfectly with B&W's Rosewood as I had to touch up a small scratch I made with the putty knife right on top of the pic below but I can't even see where the scratch was even though I know exactly where is. The wood epoxy will take multiple light coats (if you try to put it on all at one shot too thick, it comes out just a dark brown). I decided against 'touch up pens' since I've never had luck with them on vehicles and wanted my beautiful B&W Rosewood finish to look as legit as possible to bring it back to it's former glory. Here's the first light coat so far...

You can see in the above pic the wood grain texture I carved into it with a needle. I actually thought of that on the whim as it was almost cured after I was finished shaping it and removing excess. Glad I did because the repair will blend in so much better now rather than it being a perfectly smooth spot surrounded by wood grain texture. If you ever have to touch up your speaker with wood stain, use a Q-tip and very 'lightly' dip just the very tip into the stain as like I said above, this stain matches perfectly from what I can tell by touching up a light scratch in the veneer but using too much too quickly will just turn it into a dark burnt looking brown with no red tint at all. Take the opposite dry/clean side of the Q-tip and use it to blend in the edges or wipe up excess.

Oh and... Almost forgot about the front... Here it is so far...

Maybe one or two more light coats to blend in better. Then after reapplying wood polish, hopefully you wont even be able to tell (actually you really can't now as the camera seems to pic up more detail than you normally see).

I'll post another update when it's finished. BTW, I've never even used a wood filler or wood stain before, lol. I was a little skeptical doing it for my first time on such an expensive speaker, lol. :lol: Anyone remember that cherry HTM-61 I re-did in black ash? That was a first time too, lol...

Comment

• Antioch
        • Feb 2013

Nice repair job,

Good Listening,
        Mike

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"