X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BWLover
    • Jan 2009

Protection

Hello, I was wondering what people do to protect their speakers from small children. I have one on the way, and I am getting 802 Diamonds. Any thoughts on how to protect them?

Sent from my iPhone using the Tapatalk app
    Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
    Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
    Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
    Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
    Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
    Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
    Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
    Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
    Playstation 3
    Shaw HD PVR
    Primacoustic Room Treatments
  • stuofsci02
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2009

Electric Fence....

Just kidding.. For me it started with teaching my kids right from the get go that they were not allowed near the speakers...

Now they stay away from them.. I also have them in a room where they are only allowed to be with me or my wife..
    Main System:
    B&W 801D
    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
    Oppo BDP-105
    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
    B&W CM7
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva UPA-2
    Oppo BDP-83SE
    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• leo2498
      • Feb 2012

I agree, but not worry they only could be curious in the two years old but in this age you can teaching that the speaker is not a toy and if he/she will touch the speakers then it his dad will be sad too. my son have two years now and he never are play with it.
      Leo,
      Saludos
      My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Classe CA-2300 Main amp, Preamp Stereo CLASSE CP800, Preamp Multi Marantz AV8801, Parasound A31 center and Surround Amp, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" UE55d8000 SVS SB12-NSD

Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Denon AVR-2809 Amp: Rotel 1582, Source Marantz CD5004.

Comment

• RebelMan
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by stuofsci02
        For me it started with teaching my kids right from the get go that they were not allowed near the speakers...

Now they stay away from them...
        Ditto
        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• wkhanna
          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Duct Tape.

& no, not on the speakers. :W

Seriously, not only with my grandchildren but also any adults, taking the time early when they are first “introduced” to your system to explain the delicate nature & sometimes surprising (to them) value, along with the ‘house rules’ regarding just who can & can not touch things will go a long way to help avoid potential disasters.

When dealing with new children, it will be a matter of establishing a culture within the household where all things must be appreciated with appropriate levels of respect. Simply screaming at them every time they get within three feet of your equipment will not be effective.
          Last edited by wkhanna; 30 September 2013, 08:58 Monday.
          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
            • Nov 2004

You might be surprised, my friend's son wanted nothing to do with his system... he had every opportunity TO mess with it, but never did. I think once he realized he could start enjoying it (playing video games more than listening to music), he seemed to respect the system. Not that he respected much else....but definitely never bothered the HT system.

I also think it helps if you don't have your speakers out in the middle of the room. If you have everything back and well in a line so there's nothing they can really run past and knock over, it makes it easier for them to NOT mess with things. If they can run around the speakers, get behind things easily then it's like a new playground.

But everyone is right you have to start young and early that it's not something they should mess with. Course once they get old enough to actually start using things... THAT'S when it's trouble... nothing like turning it up all the way an blaring their music when you're not home! ha ha.
            Digital Audio makes me Happy.
            -Dan

Comment

• audioqueso
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

Just discipline. And I mean the real word discipline, not beating. Just teach them the right way from the start.
              I have two boys. Both were monkeys since birth. I've had 800 series since they were born. Never had a problem with them and the speakers.
              To be honest, I am usually more worried when adult friends come over because they always want to grab the tweeters thinking that it's a microphone.
              B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• RebelMan
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

It may actually be a awhile before the little one(s) are old enough to nose in on those speakers, it was for us. Once they are, teaching moments will surface, just as they will with many other things in and around your house. The kids learn and adapt fairly quickly and soon it's no longer much of a concern. You will most likely need to be concerned about the company you keep especially when the little one(s) are old enough to have friends over. If you read my story in another post you'll know why I had to sell my 800D. What I didn't say is what started me down the path to paranoia.

Each year we invite family and friends over to our house for a Christmas Eve get together. To accommodate our guests we, as I am sure many do, moved furniture from one room to the other. The next day, after the party, my mother-in-law thought she was being helpful by moving a $100 dinning chair past a $10,000 speaker. It was a very, very, very, (did I say VERY?), close call. From that moment on I had become fixated on never letting that close of a call happen again. Since I couldn't move the speakers out of harms way I ended up wrapping then with soft, lightweight, throws when people came to visit (for reasons other than listening). When we moved that trick wasn't going to work anymore because it was a temporary fix meant to be used for a small period of time. Living with people that could, very easily, either by carelessness or neglect, make inadvertent contact with the speakers on a daily basis did not lend itself very well to the same level of protection.

More recently our son had a friend over. I knew he was a bit of a fireball but never did I expect him to immediately upon entering our home (for the first time) RUN up to my left speaker and HUG IT! That's right folks, he HUGGED IT!!! Then he tried to give the tweeter a kiss! My wife could not stop laughing hysterically because after all my efforts for all those years to serve and protect my cherished speakers could I do anything to stop what just happened. And if that weren't enough... HE DID IT AGAIN, this time to the right one!!! You would think I would have lost my mind and gone on a crazy rampaged to get that terrible terror out of my home. But I didn't. I didn't need to. The 800D were already gone. My foresight paid off BIG TIME. That moment solidly confirmed my actions to sell the 800D beforehand and boy was I glad I did! So what did he hug? The CM5s which, while bothersome, did not excite me too much. He learned after that mistake and so did I. When I bought a pair of 804D2 there was some method to my madness. Portability. I can easily move them into the media room on the other side of the wall when company comes over. Leaving the wall mounted M1s to fill-in for the left and right channels.

Although my son is older he continues to respect the "no fly zone". But he likes to play where the family is and we often congregate in the living room. He will sprawl out on the rug in front of the speakers and occasionally I have to remind him to watch his feet and that he needs to maintain order with his projectiles. For the most part though things are calm around the area and as you may know I am too.
                "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• AwArEnEsS
                  • Nov 2009

I was thinking about posting a similar question.We have a large dog who can knock down my B&W 683 speakers when he is in my room.I am not sure how I can teach him to be careful while he is near them.I was hoping there was some kind of physical protection for speakers but seems like there is not...
                  The universe arises from definitionless awareness.

Comment

• audioqueso
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Nov 2004

Ohh.. a dog can be a bit trickier huh. The best advise I can give you for a dog is to not place or create any sort of comfort place for the dog near the speakers. Sunny spots, warm rugs, cubby spots, etc. That's what I did for my dog (he's not big though).
                    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• BWLover
                      • Jan 2009

Do you have the plinth on your 683's?

Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
                      Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
                      Playstation 3
                      Shaw HD PVR

Comment

• AwArEnEsS
                        • Nov 2009

Thanks for your answers audioqueso and BWLover.

BWLover wrote:
                        Do you have the plinth on your 683's?
                        No,I don't have.

Comment

• BWLover
                          • Jan 2009

I would highly recommend using the plinth with your 683's. It will make them much more difficult to knock them over.

Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
                          Playstation 3
                          Shaw HD PVR

Comment

• AwArEnEsS
                            • Nov 2009

Thanks for your suggestion.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"