X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikael
    • Aug 2007

New CM10 speaker

here is a link to the new CM10 http://www.dhifi.com/uploads/allimg/...26093114b5.jpg
    it looks interresting but I hope they make a maching center speaker.
  • stuofsci02
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2009

Cool... I notice a 3rd bass driver and tweeter on top configuration.. Would like to hear these..
    Main System:
    B&W 801D
    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
    Oppo BDP-105
    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
    B&W CM7
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva UPA-2
    Oppo BDP-83SE
    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• RebelMan
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Saw them at CES. They had some issues to workout with the tweeter on top design but they look the same now as they did then. They officially bow today.
      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

not that it affects the performance in any way........

but certainly not the prettiest speaker ever to come from B&W.

of course, this is just the humble opinion of an old curmudgeon, so pay no mind if you wish.......
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• RebelMan
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

I have mixed feelings about it too.

Comment

• lastexit
            • Feb 2011

It looks pretty interesting. Can't fault B&W for trying something new and unique with the CM line.

Comment

• wkhanna
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by lastexit
              .....B&W .......trying something new and unique with the CM line.
              A standard rectangular monkey coffin is hardly what I would call 'new' or 'unique'.

IMHO, the only thing it appears they were 'trying' was to hit was a price point.

Do not get me wrong.........keeping the price in the realm of sanity is a good thing.

I am just used to seeing a more esthetically 'pleasing' design from B&W.
              Last edited by wkhanna; 15 July 2013, 20:32 Monday. Reason: sp
              _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• lastexit
                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by wkhanna
                Do not get me wrong.........keeping the price in the realm of sanity is a good thing.
                I believe the CM10 is $4500/pair.

Comment

• leo2498
                  • Feb 2012

yes, I read in the same web site the retail price will be 4500 usd but it will be a very hard decision for the owner because for only 500 usd you could get a pair of the 805 Di, I have not heard it but my guessing would be that the 805 will sound better, I have compared the 805Di vs 804S in the past and to my ears the winner was the 805. just IMHO.
                  Leo,
                  Saludos
                  My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Classe CA-2300 Main amp, Preamp Stereo CLASSE CP800, Preamp Multi Marantz AV8801, Parasound A31 center and Surround Amp, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" UE55d8000 SVS SB12-NSD

Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Denon AVR-2809 Amp: Rotel 1582, Source Marantz CD5004.

Comment

• wkhanna
                    • Jan 2006

I did not realize this was the MRSP for these......

Not having heard them, I will keep my opinion to myself, other than saying there is some V competent (& attractive) competition at that level.
                    _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
                      • Nov 2004

They are trying to bridge the gap between the CM series and the PM1 and then 805Di. Personally, I think they should've stuck with the design of the PM1 and finished the floor standing version, lowered the price on the PM1 and done it that way.

From what I've been told, the CM10 sounds much better than the CM9....and much more similar to the sound of the PM1s (with extra bass of course).

I agree with Bill, I'm not a fan of the rounded off tweeter, I like the tapered tube as I think that's pretty darn iconic and well... it sounds amazing too (though I've not heard this tweeter). I personally would've rather seen the tweeter hidden in the box, with using the full tube. Or putting the full tube on top. I know their box design with no seems is to give the people that want the "aesthetics of high fashion and design." However I find it sort of boring. I personally liked my 604s3 versions with their front baffle rounded and a nice pattern in it. Course I think my 802Dis are amazing in their design and sound and the Nautilus are well..... jaw dropping.
                      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                      -Dan

Comment

• wkhanna
                        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by PewterTA
                        I agree with Bill, I'm not a fan of the rounded off tweeter
                        It is not so much the shape or placement of the tweeter per se.......
                        It is more the general overall impression it leaves one with……..
                        Reminiscent of a DIY look…….IMHO…..

For instance, take a look at the old 700 series.
                        There were interesting lines & shapes that were pleasing to the eye.
                        You have angles, rounded corners, a more organic sense with attractive, skillful cabinetmaking.
                        They spur emotion, there is a sense they will sound good just by looking at them.

In comparison, well, to my sense of design, this thing is stillborn.

JMHO, YMMV
                        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• leo2498
                          • Feb 2012

Originally posted by wkhanna
                          It is not so much the shape or placement of the tweeter per se.......
                          It is more the general overall impression it leaves one with……..
                          Reminiscent of a DIY look…….IMHO…..

For instance, take a look at the old 700 series.
                          There were interesting lines & shapes that were pleasing to the eye.
                          You have angles, rounded corners, a more organic sense with attractive, skillful cabinetmaking.
                          They spur emotion, there is a sense they will sound good just by looking at them.

In comparison, well, to my sense of design, this thing is stillborn.

JMHO, YMMV
                          I'm agreed with you and BTW the 700 sounded awesome too
                          Leo,
                          Saludos
                          My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Classe CA-2300 Main amp, Preamp Stereo CLASSE CP800, Preamp Multi Marantz AV8801, Parasound A31 center and Surround Amp, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" UE55d8000 SVS SB12-NSD

Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Denon AVR-2809 Amp: Rotel 1582, Source Marantz CD5004.

Comment

• wkhanna
                            • Jan 2006

I was on the verge of purchasing the 703 six years ago before I finally decided to build a pair of Jon Marsh's Natalie Portman's in a 70 litre floor stand configuration that are still my main speakers.
                            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
                              • Nov 2004

Okay well for me it's the tweeter that drives me nuts on them. The rest of the speaker, I can get, it's the "ultra modern, high fashion" type of thing. Our buddy (Bill's and mine) James fits right into this category for this type of speaker.

I agree the 700 series had the style and really the PM1 sort of fits that mold....and if they eventually do the floor standing design.... then that'll be the one that really takes the 700 series.

I have no problem with the 600 & CM being the typical "box" fashion, it's their "low end." Just don't mess with my 800s..... well I don't really care now as I got mine already. lol

Ok, that's a lie, if they made the 800 boxy and still sounded the same, I'd be pissed. To me (and I know a lot would disagree), I think the 800 series is really a pure work of art along with being a very good speaker. Nautilus even more so.... Wilson Alexandria and Focal Grande Utopia really don't hold a candle in terms of style for me.
                              -Dan

Comment

• Grasynoll
                                • Mar 2006

Looks to me like this is more about hitting a price point.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by PewterTA
                                  To me (and I know a lot would disagree), I think the 800 series is really a pure work of art along with being a very good speaker. Nautilus even more so.... Wilson Alexandria and Focal Grande Utopia really don't hold a candle in terms of style for me.
                                  A lot would disagree you think? Not sure about that. I'm with you! I also agree that the PM series needs expansion and that it would be an appropriate successor to the 700 Series. If there is anything I really dislike with the direction B&W has taken the various series it's the change in nomenclature. I like the numbered series better than I do the mash up of numbers and characters.

Comment

• PewterTA
                                    • Nov 2004

oh yeah, there's been a bunch of people I talked to when I was thinking about getting the 802Dis and they just asked me why I would want something so ugly like that. It honestly shocked me that they didn't understand how amazing they look... and of course don't understand how good they sound. They are really one of the best speakers in the world. Are they the best, well no, but really when you consider the cost... it's a pretty nice jump up to get "that" much better. So I definitely found my "until I win the lottery" speakers. ha ha.
                                    -Dan

Comment

• RebelMan
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2005

I don't get the whole ugly thing. My wife actually prefers the looks of the Marlan heads over the non-Marlan heads and she is not easy to please. I can understand how the unorthodox look would seem out of place to those accustomed to more traditional designs. But anyone that has more than just a passing interest in this hobby should be able to say the 802 look "ordinary" compared to many considerably more esoteric designs. Ugly? Really? Tell them they need to get out more.

Like curves on a car that are universally favored over straight edges, the visual beauty of the 800 Series is to be admired.

Comment

• PewterTA
                                        • Nov 2004

Gospel as I've ever heard it! I think they are pretty close to a great work of art. Can stand on their own and look amazing even with nothing coming out of them. But then again, what's the fun of that!?
                                        -Dan

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Mar 2005

I suspect that B&W marketing would say they are looking to hit two markets, the box look and the curve look. Different tastes catered for within their range, more or less.

I bought the "form follows function" rational and still own 705 (second system) and 804s (surrounds),

i then went further, preferring and buying the Vivid B1 over the 802di. Now there will be some that prefer the look of one over the other (same with the sound, in my case i couldn't be happier with sound and looks) but both are form follows function to a greater or lesser degree.

A box is a box and will tend to sound.......boxy compared to an 800 series, or panel speaker, or open baffle design. But its simpler and cheaper to make a box and some people don't like curves.
                                          Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                                          Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• RebelMan
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Mar 2005

Well it isn't as if this was the first time B&W traveled down this road. The CM10 holds a strong resemblance with the decades old Matrix 803, save for a few technical trade-offs, that seems more than just coincidental. Indeed form follows function but budgets do most of the leading and as the saying goes "everything old is new again".

Comment

• Mikael
                                              • Aug 2007

Or P5 or P6. I am looking forward to hearing them. But why not make a CMC3 center speaker with the same midrange and the new treble so that us homecinema bufs can get a coherent frontstage. The CMC2 wont match the new CM10.

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                • Nov 2004

Nobody said they weren't......... Might be coming down the road, who knows!
                                                -Dan

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • Mar 2005

Remember what happened with the 703s and the center matching fiasco that brought. Could this be a case of déjà vu for the CM10? Time will tell.

Comment

• Mikael
                                                    • Aug 2007

I really do not hope so hopefully they have learned their lesson. Maybe they do the same as they did with the release of the CM9 they showed the CM 5 and the CMC2 at the next show. It would be nice to see a CMC3 and a 2way along side CM 10 at cedia

Comment

Working...
                                                    😀
                                                    😂
                                                    🥰
                                                    😘
                                                    🤢
                                                    😎
                                                    😞
                                                    😡
                                                    👍
                                                    👎
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"