X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nikos
    • Dec 2005

What surround will match my 803D and HTM2D

A pair of 803D's ofcourse....or even better 802D and moving the 803D to the back...

ok back to reality...and a very small budget.

I've held out on buying surrounds as I had already spent way more than I could afford to get to this point...

Will a CM5 do the trick? or even a 685? I'm more interested in the surround for movie watching.

I was trying to find a used 805N pair but dont want to spend more than 1k at this point. If i could get a rosenut pair for 1k i'd probably buy it.

Your input is appreciated.

Nikos
    Last edited by nikos; 10 August 2012, 11:50 Friday.
    Classe SSP-800, Classe CA-5200, B&W 803D, B&W HTM2D, JL Audio Fathom f113 Subwoofer, Rotel RMB-1077(for sale), Oppo DV-983H, Panasonic PT-AE900U Xbox360, Sony PS3, Samsung 8000 Series 55" LCD, Klipsch promedia 5.1 ultra for PC
  • baranowski
    • May 2012

wow... I would love to have your front sound stage. If I were in you situation I would either 1) save up for the matching diamond 805 or get a good used pair of the older 700 series or cdm series and then save up for the diamonds. I am running the older cdm1's and they sound great. but for some reason the cdm1's are going up in price.

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

Any of them will match almost perfectly!! I have my old DM602s3 as surrounds and they actually sound even better with the 802Di and HTM2Di covering the front duties. It really is almost a seemless transition. Though I did modify my 602s and I think that really helped them sound closer.
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

Any of them will match almost perfectly!! I have my old DM602s3 as surrounds and they actually sound even better with the 802Di and HTM2Di covering the front duties. It really is almost a seemless transition. Though I did modify my 602s and I think that really helped them sound closer.
        -Dan

Comment

• leo2498
          • Feb 2012

Originally posted by nikos
          A pair of 803D's ofcourse....or even better 802D and moving the 803D to the back...

ok back to reality...and a very small budget.

I've held out on buying surrounds as I had already spent way more than I could afford to get to this point...

Will a CM5 do the trick? or even a 685? I'm more interested in the surround for movie watching.

I was trying to find a used 805N pair but dont want to spend more than 1k at this point. If i could get a rosenut pair for 1k i'd probably buy it.

Your input is appreciated.

Nikos
          I think your answer will be what you prefer music or movie if you like to see movies a lot, you would save for the 805d, you have a very good classe electronic that it will match astonish with the 805's. In my case I went for them and this was a huge mistake because I'm a music lover and now I need this money for a classe stereo combo(CP800+CA2300), rookie mistake I guess. if you are a movie lover my advise is wait for a good second hand 805di you will not regret about it.

Leo,
          Saludos
          My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Rotel RB1582 Main amp, pre Denon AVR 3310, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" ue55d8000
          Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Yamaha AVR 663, Source Marantz CD5004.
          Leo,
          Saludos
          My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Classe CA-2300 Main amp, Preamp Stereo CLASSE CP800, Preamp Multi Marantz AV8801, Parasound A31 center and Surround Amp, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" UE55d8000 SVS SB12-NSD

Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Denon AVR-2809 Amp: Rotel 1582, Source Marantz CD5004.

Comment

• nikos
            • Dec 2005

Thanks for the heads up....

Update your avatar if you have Di's

What did you update in the 602s? Was it the inside wiring mod that I read a while back...or something else?

I'm still interested to see if anyone has heared or used the CM with the 803D ...

I might just get a 685 pair to carry me over while I save up some money for a Diamond rear..

N
            Classe SSP-800, Classe CA-5200, B&W 803D, B&W HTM2D, JL Audio Fathom f113 Subwoofer, Rotel RMB-1077(for sale), Oppo DV-983H, Panasonic PT-AE900U Xbox360, Sony PS3, Samsung 8000 Series 55" LCD, Klipsch promedia 5.1 ultra for PC

Comment

• nikos
              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by leo2498
              I think your answer will be what you prefer music or movie if you like to see movies a lot, you would save for the 805d, you have a very good classe electronic that it will match astonish with the 805's. In my case I went for them and this was a huge mistake because I'm a music lover and now I need this money for a classe stereo combo(CP800+CA2300), rookie mistake I guess. if you are a movie lover my advise is wait for a good second hand 805di you will not regret about it.
              I disagree ...

I would think Movie watching is more forgiving as the surrounds are just there for special effects...

Where as music you need a perfect match to get the best result.

That is why i'm considering a compromise with a lesser speaker as I mainly find myself watching movies. Its a shame...as I find myself listening to music mostly in the car or on my pc system in the bedroom and not enjoying the system for music also.

Comment

• leo2498
                • Feb 2012

Its a shame...as I find myself listening to music mostly in the car or on my pc system in the bedroom and not enjoying the system for music also.
                well Nikos for music concert and movies all is about special effects from the rears speaker so it's a personal choice if you want the best speaker for that job. For my personal experience I will prefer match the diamond with a set up like yours, but in my case I need to upgrade the electronics firts and my budget is narrow now.

why are you preffer listen music in your bed room or car?

Leo,
                Saludos
                My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Rotel RB1582 Main amp, pre Denon AVR 3310, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" ue55d8000
                Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Yamaha AVR 663, Source Marantz CD5004.
                Leo,
                Saludos
                My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Classe CA-2300 Main amp, Preamp Stereo CLASSE CP800, Preamp Multi Marantz AV8801, Parasound A31 center and Surround Amp, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" UE55d8000 SVS SB12-NSD

Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Denon AVR-2809 Amp: Rotel 1582, Source Marantz CD5004.

Comment

• PewterTA
                  • Nov 2004

Nikos, yes, just upgraded the wiring and soldered all the connections... that made a very nice improvement in the 602s.
                  -Dan

Comment

• Marco Lisi
                    • May 2008

Hi Nikos

Very nice system you have there 8)
                    Your fronts are exceptional and work very well together.

In the end the best solution would be to use the same surround speakers.
                    The ultimate solution of course would be to use 5x, 7x, x... the same loudspeaker. Financial or practical wise this will not always work 8O

I think that having any good 3-way surround sound (even second hand) would temporarily help you out. In the long run I would save up the money for 803Di's.

John Dibb from B&W once told me that you best use the same system all around. In your case that is a 3-way system. Mixing up 3-way en 2-way systems (for ex. 805Di as rears) will sound different.

To think that your rear speakers will only do surround sounds is not correct.
                    The key lies in balancing your system. Evening out the power of your system / speakers will increase the overall dynamic footprint and thus the overall film experience...

Kind regards
                    Diamond Room
                    Acoustical treated room with reference 7.3 av system

Comment

• Skyblue
                      • Jun 2009

Ideally you would wan't all identical speakers, but I went with the "best fronts, nevermind the rears" strategy, and even in multichannel it sounds great.

My advice would be to get any old used 800 or 700 series b&w and then if you really really want, save up for matching rears. Personally, I would upgrade the fronts first.
                      B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• nikos
                        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Skyblue
                        Personally, I would upgrade the fronts first.

(sarcasm) I love it when you create a thread asking what to buy as a small budget compromise solution, put a 1k ceiling.....and you're suggested...that your 803D's are not good enough...and you should be replacing those....

N

Comment

• nikos
                          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by leo2498

why are you preffer listen music in your bed room or car?

Leo,

Leo, its not that i prefer to listen there....it just happens to be the places i find myself spending time listening to music these days. thats why i said its a shame i'm not spending more time enjoying my systems music playing abilities.

N

Comment

• nikos
                            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Marco Lisi
                            Hi Nikos

John Dibb from B&W once told me that you best use the same system all around. In your case that is a 3-way system. Mixing up 3-way en 2-way systems (for ex. 805Di as rears) will sound different.
                            Marco, thank you!

the above comment is what i'm keeping ...

I guess I should focus into sourcing a 3 way system... used 800,700 series ...

to put a spin on to this... what other manufacturers have the closest mid highs sonic match to the b&w 800diamond series...not D2.

Thanks

Comment

• Skyblue
                              • Jun 2009

(sarcasm) I love it when you create a thread asking what to buy as a small budget compromise solution, put a 1k ceiling.....and you're suggested...that your 803D's are not good enough...and you should be replacing those....

N
                              Hmm sorry. A bit tired here.

If the budget is 1k, then even moreso I would recommend getting something simple for rears. It really doesn't matter all that much in my opinion. I would any day save my money for the fronts.

Now 803s and a htm2 are great, so you're set. Just get some used 805s or something and you should be just fine. My 805S works fine with my 800 di's. Probably not as good as real 800 or 803s even, but good enough that I get the atmospheric effect and that my multichannel sacd's sounds fabulous.
                              B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• leo2498
                                • Feb 2012

Marco, thank you!

the above comment is what i'm keeping ...

I guess I should focus into sourcing a 3 way system... used 800,700 series ...

to put a spin on to this... what other manufacturers have the closest mid highs sonic match to the b&w 800diamond series...not D2.

Thanks
                                Hi Nikos, if you budget is 1k usd I'm thinking that neither 700 or 800 you could get in this budget, a 804S o N you can get about 3000 usd and this is the cheaper one, so you have two choices one increase your budget or two get somethin in a lower line(600 or CM series).

BTW I had the 804S like my rear for some time and I preferred the 805Di in my HT system because with a 5 channel content for my the sound was more consistent. This test was did in a very small room.
                                Leo,
                                Saludos

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Nov 2009

Let me jump in on this thread too...

I have used my CM7 for rears with my 804s system, and it was plenty good enough for movies..

With the exception of horizontal center channels, I really feel you can have a great movie experience with lesser quality speakers.

If I was doing movies only, I would probably go with a CM series setup..

Cheers..
                                  Main System:
                                  B&W 801D
                                  Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                  Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                  Oppo BDP-105
                                  Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                  B&W CM7
                                  Emotiva UMC-1
                                  Emotiva UPA-2
                                  Oppo BDP-83SE
                                  Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• nikos
                                    • Dec 2005

I'm reviving this thread as I still do not have a solution and I'm using some cheapo 3-way that is not satisfying to say the least as a temp solution...that reminds me of a Greek saying...in free translation.... Nothing more permanent than the temporary

My budget is a little increased.

Any of you use HTM series for surrounds? What are your thoughts of using center channels for surrround?

In my room the couch is in the middle of the room (kinda) and the back/surround speakers in the 5.1 system are either going to be on stands and kinda in the way or towers (also kinda in the way) but sacrifices I'm willling to make...

I'm shortly adding a second JL Audio Sub...and I'm excited about that.

Comment

• madmac
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2010

I'm reviving this thread as I still do not have a solution and I'm using some cheapo 3-way that is not satisfying to say the least as a temp solution...that reminds me of a Greek saying...in free translation.... Nothing more permanent than the temporary

My budget is a little increased.

Any of you use HTM series for surrounds? What are your thoughts of using center channels for surrround?

In my room the couch is in the middle of the room (kinda) and the back/surround speakers in the 5.1 system are either going to be on stands and kinda in the way or towers (also kinda in the way) but sacrifices I'm willling to make...

I'm shortly adding a second JL Audio Sub...and I'm excited about that.
                                      There is no problem using center channel speakers for surrounds. The center speaker however, is the most important speaker in a surround system. Buy the best and biggest that you can afford. Also, try to buy one that uses the same drivers and is of the same series as your mains. I've been using center channel speakers for my surrounds with no problems for years. As a matter of fact, they are the same model as my center channel so the sound is seamless across the board.
                                      Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Blindamood
                                        • Sep 2003

I know where you can get a fantastic pair of B&W SCMS surrounds, but they're in Cherry finish. Check out the Pawn Shop thread. :W
                                        Brad

Comment

• style
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Feb 2006

the nost important is your front end: the 803d & Htm2d are perfect.

For me (and I had a 802d-htm2d rear 803d) dont make sense invest a lot of money in s rear like a 805D!!!! a pair of cm5 give you a lot of pleasure.

the rear in a movie from 90min. work at 50% for ...10minutes!!!! if is a good action movie maybe 20min. but not more.... a copy of 805D or 804D only to listen a boom?!?! no thanks.

with some bluray music concert have more sense but not the 5-8k. $$$$ request from the dealer.

style

Comment

• Rod#S
                                            • Oct 2010

It depends, for movies I agree that the surrounds don't recieve anywhere near the amout of content as the front 3 channels and even the LFE channel so it can be hard to justify spending large sums of money on them. For music it's an entirely different story especially with matrix processing even more so than actual discrete 5.1/7/1 content as the surrounds with matrix procesing are almost constantly receiving a signal (for Logic 7 anyways) and because of this differences in speakers can be easily distinguished at least to my ears and it makes good sense to treat the surrounds with a higher level of respect and put more money into them.

But, to the original posters questions, sure either of the speakers he suggested will work fine and are within his budget and as he pointed out his focus is on movies so I don't see a need to be as picky compared to if he was more into surround music.
                                            B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000

Comment

• madmac
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Aug 2010

[QUOTE=Rod#S;571813]It depends, for movies I agree that the surrounds don't recieve anywhere near the amout of content as the front 3 channels and even the LFE channel so it can be hard to justify spending large sums of money on them. For music it's an entirely different story especially with matrix processing even more so than actual discrete 5.1/7/1 content as the surrounds with matrix procesing are almost constantly receiving a signal (for Logic 7 anyways) and because of this differences in speakers can be easily distinguished at least to my ears and it makes good sense to treat the surrounds with a higher level of respect and put more money into them.

But, to the original posters questions, sure either of the speakers he suggested will work fine and are within his budget and as he pointed out his focus is on movies so I don't see a need to be as picky compared to if he was more into surround music.[/QUOTE

Exactly!!. If you listen to 5 channel music, then I find it very important to use the same series speakers with the same drivers as the mains.
                                              Dan Madden :T

Comment

• emig5m
                                                • Aug 2008

Leo, its not that i prefer to listen there....it just happens to be the places i find myself spending time listening to music these days. thats why i said its a shame i'm not spending more time enjoying my systems music playing abilities.

N
                                                ^I'm in the same boat with you there. I mainly use my system for movies and games anymore and find myself either listening to music in the car or while at the computer with headphones. I happen to use 685's for rears with 804S/HTM3S up front and find they match very good for surround sound in movies and games, especially after Audyssey or other room correction. I might be lucky because the 685 has a spin-off of the similar aluminum tweeter as the S series, but the 685 is a very good performer in their own right. Personally I'd pickup a set of 685's for a interim solution and then possibly save up for 805Di's later. You might actually wind up being happy with the 685's. I've never once felt that they held back the performance of my system is movies or games even though I've always wanted to find a set of 805S's locally to replace them with.

Comment

• style
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Feb 2006

well the point is: you need 5 speaker to listen music? Hey man, your system don't work fine!!!!!

I had a 5.1 system, now with a 2 channel I have more enjoy to listen tracks!!! A good 2 system sound better IHMO vs. 5 channel!! the sensation that a 2 channel give you is very different.

of course is my opinion.
                                                  Match with 803d & HTM2D? another D speaker. a 805 or 804.

Style

Comment

Working...
                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                  Search Result for "|||"