X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • speakerboy
    • Nov 2005

N803/HTM1 to 803D/HTM2D?

Anybody hear any differences with N803 and HTM1 front speakers and 803D and HTM2d speakers? I may have an opportunity for an upgrade, but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra money. Is there a significant improvement? Opinions?
  • style
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2006

803D &Co.

Hallo speakerboy,

I don't have listen the N803 and HTM1 but I have upgrad my system with the 803D and Htm2D.

I am very happy with the new speakers, the sound is very clean and on the top.

Comment

• htsteve
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by speakerboy
      Anybody hear any differences with N803 and HTM1 front speakers and 803D and HTM2d speakers? I may have an opportunity for an upgrade, but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra money. Is there a significant improvement? Opinions?

speakerboy,

I had N804's and the HTM1. I upgraded to 802D's and the HTM2D. I also listened to the 803D's extensively as well before deciding on the 802D's. The Diamond series is simply better across the board. All parts of the speaker were updated in the diamond series, not just the tweeters. The areas I would expect the most improvement on would be the highs (the diamond tweeters are sweet) and the bass (the new bass units are very good). The ingegration of the drivers is excellent. If you make this upgrade, you have a great foundation for an awesome system. As to the HTM2D, it definitely is better than the HTM1 (which I loved). Same areas improved with it. The HTM2 will match with the 803D's very, very well. You would have impressive cohesiveness.

What kind of electronics will be driving them? The 803D is definitely bigger (with an extra bass unit I believe) than the N803. I needs some good power.

Hope this helps.
      Last edited by htsteve; 27 November 2008, 22:23 Thursday.

Comment

• speakerboy
        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by htsteve
        speakerboy,

I had N804's and the HTM1. I upgraded to 802D's and the HTM2D. I also listened to the 803D's extensively as well before deciding on the 802D's. The Diamond series is simply better across the board. All parts of the speaker were updated in the diamond series, not just the tweeters. The areas I would expect the most improvement on would be the highs (the diamond tweeters as sweet) and the bass (the new bass units are very good). The ingegration of the drivers is excellent. If you make this upgrade, you have a great foundation for an awesome system. As to the HTM2D, it definitely is better than the HTM1 (which I loved). Same areas improved with it. The HTM2 will match with the 803D's very, very well. You would have impressive cohesiveness.

What kind of electronics will be driving them? The 803D is definitely bigger (with an extra bass unit I believe) than the N803. I needs some good power.

Hope this helps.

I have the Denon AVP-A1HDCI pre/pro and Denon POA-A1HDCI amp...the center and two fronts will be bridged. I thought I'd be keeping the N803/HTM1 for quite some time, but there's an opportunity for a demo pair of 803D speakers that would be hard to pass up on...of course I'd have to match it with the HTM2D center.

Also, I've heard bad stories about the diamond tweeter and its fragility. Should I be concerned about that or not? I guess I'd make sure that tweeter grill never comes off if I'm not around!
        Last edited by speakerboy; 20 May 2008, 11:42 Tuesday.

Comment

• htsteve
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

I have the Denon AVP-A1HDCI pre/pro and Denon POA-A1HDCI amp...the center and two fronts will be bridged. I thought I'd be keeping the N803/HTM1 for quite some time, but there's an opportunity for a demo pair of 803D speakers that would be hard to pass up on...of course I'd have to match it with the HTM2D center.

Also, I've heard bad stories about the diamond tweeter and its fragility. Should I be concerned about that or not? I guess I'd make sure that tweeter grill never comes off if I'm not around!
          speakerboy,

I've had no issues with the tweeter. I don't take the cover off. Also, you have a good amp to drive them, so bad power should not be an issue. If it breaks on it's own, B&W should/will replace it. The grills are magnetically held on, so that does afford some protection. Finally, I've not heard from my dealer that there are any issues with the tweeter. One just needs to be a bit careful, as they are expensive.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• wettou
            Ultra Senior Member
            • May 2006

I have the Denon AVP-A1HDCI pre/pro and Denon POA-A1HDCI amp...the center and two fronts will be bridged. I thought I'd be keeping the N803/HTM1 for quite some time, but there's an opportunity for a demo pair of 803D speakers that would be hard to pass up on...of course I'd have to match it with the HTM2D center. Also, I've heard bad stories about the diamond tweeter and its fragility. Should I be concerned about that or not? I guess I'd make sure that tweeter grill never comes off if I'm not around!
            How is the Denon, I have three 802D and never had a problem with them just don't touch the tweeters!
            Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• speakerboy
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by wettou
              How is the Denon, I have three 802D and never had a problem with them just don't touch the tweeters!
              The Denon is EXCELLENT! I decided to pull the trigger and get the 803D/HTM2D. The price of the demo 803D pair from the dealer was too good to pass up. I got the 803D hooked up tonight...the sound from them is soooooo CRISP!!! Now I have to get the N803/HTM1 ready for Ebay to pay for my horrible upgrade habit. Now if a demo 802D pair comes along....

Thanks for everyone's input!

Comment

• htsteve
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

The Denon is EXCELLENT! I decided to pull the trigger and get the 803D/HTM2D. The price of the demo 803D pair from the dealer was too good to pass up. I got the 803D hooked up tonight...the sound from them is soooooo CRISP!!! Now I have to get the N803/HTM1 ready for Ebay to pay for my horrible upgrade habit. Now if a demo 802D pair comes along....

Thanks for everyone's input!

speakerboy,

Excellent. You will love the 803D's, and the HTM2D.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

Congratulations, Speakerboy!

I know that you'll enjoy the 803D/HTM2D combo. :T

Comment

• rodH
                    • Aug 2002

Having compared the N803 to the 802D I was actually more surprised/impressed with the difference in the Mids in the 2 speakers, vs the tweeter and bass (subs can always be added). I have to admit, the highs didn't strike me as much different, while the mids took an already very very impressive FST system to the next level. Like I said, I wasn't expecting any difference there, but there was. Smoother and more refined.

Comment

• wettou
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by rodH
                      Having compared the N803 to the 802D I was actually more surprised/impressed with the difference in the Mids in the 2 speakers, vs the tweeter and bass (subs can always be added). I have to admit, the highs didn't strike me as much different, while the mids took an already very very impressive FST system to the next level. Like I said, I wasn't expecting any difference there, but there was. Smoother and more refined.
                      Interesting I have both and I noticed a considerable difference again may be this is just my ear!
                      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Miyuki
                        • Nov 2008

Speakerboy,

Congratulations !

I am also upgrading from N803/HTM1 to 803D/HTM2D based on tons of auditions and, for me, moving from N803s to 803Ds represent a major improvement. I will put my lovley N803s as rears.

What speakers will you keep as rears?

Speakergirl
                        Miyuki
                        :brunette:

Comment

• SeaNile
                          • Nov 2008

Do the dealers discount at all? So far all I have been quoted is $4500 each for the 803d, $3000 for 803s and 2250 for 804s.

--JK

Comment

• garak
                            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by SeaNile
                            Do the dealers discount at all? So far all I have been quoted is $4500 each for the 803d, $3000 for 803s and 2250 for 804s.

--JK
                            First, contrats speakerboy. The 803D/HTM2D is a great combination.

As for discounting, yes, some dealers do.

Comment

• wettou
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • May 2006

Originally posted by SeaNile
                              Do the dealers discount at all? So far all I have been quoted is $4500 each for the 803d, $3000 for 803s and 2250 for 804s.--JK
                              Yes ,but most lot of them don't because they can loose the brand.
                              B&W is very picky about this, but if you deal with the owner of the shop you can negotiate not with the sales people. Establishing a good relationship is critical, I had one dealer who was willing to negotiate. But unfortunately he became victim of his partner and closed his door after 15 years in the business, his partner was a crook!:M

Comment

• beden1
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by wettou
                                Yes ,but most lot of them don't because they can loose the brand.
                                B&W is very picky about this, but if you deal with the owner of the shop you can negotiate not with the sales people. Establishing a good relationship is critical, I had one dealer who was willing to negotiate. But unfortunately he became victim of his partner and closed his door after 15 years in the business, his partner was a crook!:M
                                B&W may be more willing to enable their dealers to provide a bit more of a discount in some markets more than others. I have noticed this lately, where some of their dealers are having a very hard time right now financially.

Comment

• speakerboy
                                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Miyuki
                                  Speakerboy,

Congratulations !

I am also upgrading from N803/HTM1 to 803D/HTM2D based on tons of auditions and, for me, moving from N803s to 803Ds represent a major improvement. I will put my lovley N803s as rears.

What speakers will you keep as rears?

Speakergirl
                                  I've had my 803D/HTM2D for 6 months now and am always impressed by the diamond tweeter and realism of the sound.

I sold my N803/HTM1/N805 speakers. I am using 4 SCMS speakers for rear and side.

Comment

• wettou
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • May 2006

Originally posted by beden1
                                    B&W may be more willing to enable their dealers to provide a bit more of a discount in some markets more than others. I have noticed this lately, where some of their dealers are having a very hard time right now financially.
                                    Yes a lot of them are closing shop unfortunately this is hurting everyone...:cry:

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"